Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Lowering links

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 01:47 PM
jgraham is on a distinguished road
Lowering links

Just ordered these and paid the extra $50 for next day delivery. Price seems very reasonable. Will post my thoughts after receiving and installing them.

http://www.adjustableairride.com/

Old 08-19-2007, 02:38 AM
Neilkf is on a distinguished road
Seems too good to be true. Simple concept, simple installation and inexpensive but I can't see any Bentley reference on their website. There's no reason I can see why they shouldn't work. I'm looking forward to hearing your impression.
I've done a little research on the electronic lowering kits but so far, none of the 'suppliers' has been forthcoming with any info on how and where the module is fitted. From the pictures, there seems a lot of wire splices to be made.
I think that lowerig the car just one inch would be a huge visual improvement and I doubt if any suspension geometry adustments would be needed.

Last edited by Neilkf; 08-19-2007 at 02:45 AM.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:59 AM
Yes it does seem too good to be true, I paid $750 for the one for my Cayenne Turbo. Will see when they arrive on Tuesday. They have no reference to Bentley on their site but when looking at the photo's they had a couple of pictures of one, so when I went through the ordering process there is reference to Bentley ordering there.
I will want to take it as low as possible so I think I will have it aligned and corner balanced, my Cayenne wore out front tires down to the cords on the inside in 7000 miles!

Old 08-19-2007, 02:20 PM
Old 08-21-2007, 10:49 PM
Slammed

Lowering links arrived today as promised, well made, installed in less than 1 hour, very simple. Set back at lowest possible, front not as aggressively. I think it may be too low, let me know what you think. Ride is a little rougher, I have always driven in sport mode anyway. Front dropped 3.25 inches, back dropped 2.25 inches.
Please let me know if you think it looks too low?

Here is link to photo's - new link to whole album with all pics

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...?id=2088372982

Last edited by jgraham; 08-22-2007 at 12:25 PM.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:41 AM
Blimey John, is that really 3.25 inches at the front? It certainly looks lower than before in your pictures, but not that much. Do you think you could post a close-up picture of just the wheel and wheel arch, front and back please. What about handling? Lowering the car that much has to change the geometry significantly. Did you notice it?
I'm a little worried about ground clearance under the front valance. My lower front black grille already rubs on car park slopes - even with standard ride height

Last edited by Neilkf; 08-22-2007 at 06:43 AM.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:11 PM
neil, yes that is definately the drop, carefully measured before and after. I do think it is too low, I was scrapping the bottom vent prior to drop, so will be a lot worse now. I have posted the new link address to prior post with all the photo's.
Handling has got a little rougher, after driving it for a little while I will have it aligned, just want to make sure which height I am going to end up keeping first.

Last edited by jgraham; 08-22-2007 at 10:45 PM.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:04 PM
Banned
*STATUS* is on a distinguished road
it will work its really simple its just tricking the computer basically... did that to a mb e300 after the brabus lowering module didnt lower it enough.

Old 08-23-2007, 12:05 AM
Ray
Former Vendor
Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !
I think it was too low for a Bentley. This is more like a GT3 cup car ride height. I think 1 finger gap all around will be perfect.

Old 08-23-2007, 12:15 AM
Banned
*STATUS* is on a distinguished road
I like the way it looks... nnice just throw some nice wheels on it with an agressive fitment and it will look sweet

Old 08-23-2007, 07:43 AM
Ray, I am leaning your way, just too low for this type of car. Will raise it up a little this weekend. Thanks.

Old 08-23-2007, 09:17 AM
Paldi is an unknown quantity at this point
I think it's too low also. One finger is about right if you can handle the road clearance.

Personally, I would want a module with an on/off switch so I could lower it 2 inches when parked, and maybe with another slightly higher settling for driving at low speeds.

Old 08-23-2007, 09:59 PM
New ride height

Here is a link to photo's of the new ride height I just adjusted to. I found that I do not have to remove wheels to do this, just reach round behind or in front of wheel, grab link and pull it off, adjust length, then push it back on ( which is a little more tricky than pulling them off but can be done ). Took about half an hour to adjust.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...?id=2088307364

Old 09-02-2007, 03:05 AM
John
Upon your recommendation I got my links - although the Two Day UPS service actually took 7!! And yes, the concept and application is dead simple and inexpensive. If you only want to lower your car a little, why bugger around with a $2k electronic package that no one seems to know how to install?
The pictures below show 1st attempt (2 1/4" drop - too low) and final height choice (1 1/2" drop).
A couple of things came to mind while I was doing the job. Unless you have a supremely flat and level floor car-sized piece of floor from which to take your dimensions (extremely rare) you have to trust that Bentley got all four corners at the correct height in the first place. My wheel arches at factory-height averaged out at around 28 7/8". I measured the factory links and set the new ones all 12mm shorter (sorry for mixing up units- it's an age thing). This gave the height in the first picture. Just reaching under the car, popping off the lower ball joints and winding them in two turns raised it to the height in the second picture.
I've noticed no difference in handling and comfort although my poor old back creaks a little more getting in and out!!
The result - a transformation.
BTW you may notice the Bentley Mud Flaps installed on the car. The lane where I live is barely wider than my car so mud and crap from the verges is regularly distributed up the wings and doors. The mud flaps help.

Attached Images   
Old 09-03-2007, 04:59 PM
Neil, nice job, car looks great. Can't beat the price, do not see the need for the electronic module. You can also raise the car still with button on the consol.
Enjoy.
John.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Lowering links