BMW //M Discussion on the BMW M1, BMW M3, BMW M4, BMW M5, and the BMW M6

2008 Bmw E92 M3

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 11:33 PM
ThatOneGuy is on a distinguished road
The 335 is almost 3600 lbs base. Add a V-8, beefed up sub-frame, etc. I'll bet I'm close.

Old 08-29-2006, 11:34 PM
Smoltz is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by PorscheC4
I bet you a fully loaded m3 coupe will weigh in at about 3600-3700 lbs.
Published wieght on the 335 is 3571 if I'm not mistaken. I don't think the M3 will weigh much more than that.

I realize that with the E46, the M weighed substantially more, but that's when we were talking about an Alu Block I-6 vs a Cast Iron Block I-6. Now we're going to be takling about an Alu I-6 + Two Turbos vs. Alu V8 (which weighs less per cylidner than an I-6 does). Not saying that the M's motor won't weigh more, but it will be *much* closer than the E46 M3 vs E46 330.

Also, the E46 M3 had Alu hood, spare delete, carbon fiber front/rear bumper rebars. I think we'll see more weight saving measures in the E90 M3.

Like I said, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there won't be any weight increase vs the E46 M, but I realize the facts don't point in that direction, especially when we're talking about a 55ish thousand price point. Ultimatley only time will tell.

-Adam

Old 08-29-2006, 11:36 PM
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy
The 335 is almost 3600 lbs base. Add a V-8, beefed up sub-frame, etc. I'll bet I'm close.
I'm all for a stronger sub frame. One of my good friends had his rear subframe self destruct on an 01 M3 with about 70k miles. Around 6k to get it back on the road. Very disappointing.

-Adam

Old 08-29-2006, 11:50 PM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Smoltz
I'm not arguing with you about M5 vs 997s. I just wanted to toss in my opinion regarding M5 vs M3, like I said, BMW has a habit of making sure the M3 isn't as fast as the M5, particularly as the speedo moves up.

I don't think it will be as fast as the 997s, but it's base price is also going to be almost 30k less. I do think it will be faster than a base 997.

-Adam
I wasnt trying to argue with you either, just stating some obvious things, and some opinions in there. yes, the m3 will be less expensive, but also a slightly different type of car.

Old 08-29-2006, 11:54 PM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
Published wieght on the 335 is 3571 if I'm not mistaken. I don't think the M3 will weigh much more than that.

I realize that with the E46, the M weighed substantially more, but that's when we were talking about an Alu Block I-6 vs a Cast Iron Block I-6. Now we're going to be takling about an Alu I-6 + Two Turbos vs. Alu V8 (which weighs less per cylidner than an I-6 does). Not saying that the M's motor won't weigh more, but it will be *much* closer than the E46 M3 vs E46 330.

Also, the E46 M3 had Alu hood, spare delete, carbon fiber front/rear bumper rebars. I think we'll see more weight saving measures in the E90 M3.

Like I said, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there won't be any weight increase vs the E46 M, but I realize the facts don't point in that direction, especially when we're talking about a 55ish thousand price point. Ultimatley only time will tell.

-Adam
You know what though, a lot of time they say they are saving all this weight and it still comes out heavier. Point in case, the new 997TT. they did so much weight savings stuff but it still comes out about 90 lbs heavier. but then again, i LOVE that car and its one to be reckoned with! i dont really care so much about the weight although it would have been nice ot be 100+ lbs lighter instead.

Old 08-29-2006, 11:54 PM
I'm all for a stronger sub frame. One of my good friends had his rear subframe self destruct on an 01 M3 with about 70k miles. Around 6k to get it back on the road. Very disappointing.

-Adam
eww. i would not be a happy camper if that happened to any car i owned.

Old 08-29-2006, 11:58 PM

-Adam
A couple things you have to remember too, that while the roof will be caron fibre, there is stilla sunroof option, correct? that alone is like 40-50 lbs. then you add other goodies like 19's which are going to weigh more, and thats unsprung weight, plus nav and all the other stuff like stronger sub frame, wider body, flared fenders, plus u have adaptive width which has a mechanical driver to it to add more weight. everything just adds weight specially when powered by mechanical devices. i think its gonna weigh in at probably close to 3700 lbs, and prob might even go to 3800 like the other guy is saying if fuly loaded.

Old 08-30-2006, 12:09 AM
A couple things you have to remember too, that while the roof will be caron fibre, there is stilla sunroof option, correct? that alone is like 40-50 lbs. then you add other goodies like 19's which are going to weigh more, and thats unsprung weight, plus nav and all the other stuff like stronger sub frame, wider body, flared fenders, plus u have adaptive width which has a mechanical driver to it to add more weight. everything just adds weight specially when powered by mechanical devices. i think its gonna weigh in at probably close to 3700 lbs, and prob might even go to 3800 like the other guy is saying if fuly loaded.
The 335 base wieght includes the sunroof. The factory 19s on the E46 didn't weigh anymore on the E46 (cast vs. forged). Adaptive width won't be standard, nor is nav. I'm guessing that they'll use Alu for the flares, but that's supposition on my part.

Yeah, I know what you're saying and like you said about tthe 997TT, companies always say 'yeah we saved all this weight' and the wieght goes up. LOL.

When I'm talking about 3400-3600, I'm talking about minimal options. Certainly fully loaded it'll be more.

-Adam

PS - I don't think it's going to have a carbon roof, the way it looks like it's going, we'll be lucky if we're able to get it without a sunroof.

Old 08-30-2006, 12:23 AM
PorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond repute
Spotted a mule in Santa Monica today
Too much traffic to get close to it though...

Old 08-30-2006, 12:42 AM
The 335 base wieght includes the sunroof. The factory 19s on the E46 didn't weigh anymore on the E46 (cast vs. forged). Adaptive width won't be standard, nor is nav. I'm guessing that they'll use Alu for the flares, but that's supposition on my part.

Yeah, I know what you're saying and like you said about tthe 997TT, companies always say 'yeah we saved all this weight' and the wieght goes up. LOL.

When I'm talking about 3400-3600, I'm talking about minimal options. Certainly fully loaded it'll be more.

-Adam

PS - I don't think it's going to have a carbon roof, the way it looks like it's going, we'll be lucky if we're able to get it without a sunroof.
funny isnt about the saving weight but the weight goes up. i think i will just stick to my original estimate of 3600-3700 lbs. i think i saw(recently) a R&T curb weight of an m3 coupe of over 3500 lbs . thats one heafty car. im sure it was pretty optioned too though. what are the differences in wheels, as im looking for them for my C4 cab? what is cast vs. forged etc?

Old 08-30-2006, 10:05 AM
C70Pete is infamous around these partsC70Pete is infamous around these partsC70Pete is infamous around these partsC70Pete is infamous around these parts
I think it will trap 110-111, but 112 at best. Therefore, i think the 997S, which me and c70pete were discussing, will be able to top is, because they have trapped as high as 115, which is right around what the m5 traps, which is why in the video above, the 997S was able to pull quite a lot on the m5 in both 400 and 500 hp modes(granted it had headers, sport cats, and exhaust, which give it 39 crank hp giving it 394 at the crank, which is still 109 hp less than the m5, although it weights 600+ lbs less). it still pulled and thats all I care about. we can go into semantics in a number of ways, but either way the m5 lost to the 997S in both races.
Hey PorscheC4... too much speculation without hard data... I didn't know the C2S had all those mods... it was an impressive run!! one thing to note however is when 2 cars are racing and one accelerates before the other it will take a LOT longer for the faster to catch it.. it will catch it (as the M5 caught the "S") but if they take off at exactly the same time I doubt the "S" will hang out for a long time... the M5 clearly walked it... I'd like to see a race from 100mph to 150mph and see who wins then... either way a *very* impressive performance by the C2S... wow!

as for the M3 and how fast it will be... who knows... it CAN be faster than the S no doubt... it all comes down to the weight and gearing...

when are they scheduled to come out?

Old 08-30-2006, 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by C70Pete
Hey PorscheC4... too much speculation without hard data... I didn't know the C2S had all those mods... it was an impressive run!! one thing to note however is when 2 cars are racing and one accelerates before the other it will take a LOT longer for the faster to catch it.. it will catch it (as the M5 caught the "S") but if they take off at exactly the same time I doubt the "S" will hang out for a long time... the M5 clearly walked it... I'd like to see a race from 100mph to 150mph and see who wins then... either way a *very* impressive performance by the C2S... wow!

as for the M3 and how fast it will be... who knows... it CAN be faster than the S no doubt... it all comes down to the weight and gearing...

when are they scheduled to come out?
I did state the mods for the 997S, if i remember correctly. i dont know when the new m3 comes out. end of this year, next spring? who knows? i think it can be faster than the 997S granted it has 63 hp more, but it has so much going against it. but do i think it will be, NO.

Old 08-30-2006, 09:26 PM
C70Pete is infamous around these partsC70Pete is infamous around these partsC70Pete is infamous around these partsC70Pete is infamous around these parts
any videos of the RS4 and carrera S racing? from one guy on this board he says his RS4 is faster than his own "S"... and that's from a roll on...... so if his RS4 is faster and weighs in @ almost 4000 lbs why wouldn't the M3 be faster than the "S" with 420 hp and 3600 lbs weight?? makes perfect sense to me...

basic lbs/hp equation Watson...

Old 08-30-2006, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by C70Pete
any videos of the RS4 and carrera S racing? from one guy on this board he says his RS4 is faster than his own "S"... and that's from a roll on...... so if his RS4 is faster and weighs in @ almost 4000 lbs why wouldn't the M3 be faster than the "S" with 420 hp and 3600 lbs weight?? makes perfect sense to me...

basic lbs/hp equation Watson...
Hahah. The RS4 is NOT even close. The 997C4S is even faster than the RS4. Look at anything in R&T or C&D and they will tell you that. But, i will see if i can scrounge up a video of a 997S and an RS4.

Old 08-30-2006, 09:53 PM
Banned
sticky is on a distinguished road
Man, some things to clear up in this thread.

The manual E46 m3's are not faster than the SMG cars. The Manual cars are simply able to get a better E.T. from being able to launch at over 1800 rpm. I had an SMG M3, from a roll I would always come out on top vs. a manual as the manual driver simply had to be perfect to keep pace with the SMG.

The new M3 will be faster than the carrera S, no doubt. It will be the m5 v10 with 2 less cylinders and possibly a slightly higher redline. Lets say it weighs 3500, realistic with the aluminum block, it won't be much heavier than the e46 M3 (50 pounds) with an *** load more torque and hp through a 7 speed. It will be realistically a couple mph slower than the M5 the same way the e46 m3 was a couple mph slower than the E39 M5.

Every encounter I had with a 996 carrera (including 3.6 liters) the M3 came out on top. Not by bus lengths or anything but it was slightly faster than 3.6's and definitely faster than the 3.4's.

The M3 is a great car to discuss because it does so many things right just like a porsche except with useable back seats. I miss my E46 M3, simply a phenominal car especially for the money.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2008 Bmw E92 M3