Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the purpose of these vents?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 08:56 AM
TSS4LSU is on a distinguished road
What's the purpose of these vents?

This may (is likely) a dumb question but are these vent openings on the front and back bumpers aesthetic or truly functional? What do they do? I think they look awesome and wouldnt mind buying them (if the wife directed finance committee will approve ) but do they serve a purpose. My boxster doesnt have the middle radiator so not sure if the front vent will do anything but make me smile more.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:57 AM
I want to be clear that I mean the vent on the top of the bumper not the ones in direct airflow to the radiators.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:25 AM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
The one on top (in front) vents the air from the middle air opening (if you have a radiator of some form there). Tiptronics have a radiator there to help cool the transmission. I think it also helps provide a little down force as long as there is free flow from the central opening to the vent on top. I imagine the vents in the back provide some cooling for the engine bay. If you want the look and can afford it, do it, I say. Tell your wife you have my permission.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:45 AM
Fluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond repute
USCCayman

100% +1 on that .
Also just take a look at your current front and rear bumpers on your boxster . and then look at the proposed Front and rear Gt-3 style bumpers .
LOOKS LIKE A TOTALLY DIFFERENT CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!! in a better way

I saw recently that Rennspeed One was offering the Gt style rear bumper on this site but only had 1 left

Old 08-19-2009, 01:00 PM
Another dumb question: Where do you take these parts to get painted? Do you buy the porsche paint yourself or do the body shops have access to the paint matches? How much would getting the front and rear bumper cost to get painted and installed?

Old 08-19-2009, 06:48 PM
pearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond repute
This thread rocks!

To the OP....not stupid questions. I actually asked the same thing AFTER i bought my front bumper LOL. Def a cosmetic mod mainly - but like the others have said - does help a LITTLE with cooling/downforce.

The rear i think its purely cosmetic on the Cayman/Boxster from what i know.....

Old 08-19-2009, 09:32 PM
Fluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond repute
Tss45lsu

You would need to take them to a paint and body shop,Preferrably one that has done some work on Porsches ,ask your local Porsche dealer or local Porsche tuner shop who they would recommend.
My estimate on getting the front both and rear preped,primed ,fitted ,painted and installed would be $1,400 to $1,800 depending on the shop.on the front bumper you would also need the 997 running lights and wiring harness both for around $400.00 at Suncoast Auto .You would be doing good if you could get this entire project done for 5k IMO give or take a few hundred,
The car would look like a 100K Car though well worth doing if you got the $$

Old 07-22-2010, 09:35 PM
Ed-Jitsu will become famous soon enough
Certainly a great looking mod!

Old 07-26-2010, 11:11 AM
Kirk will become famous soon enoughKirk will become famous soon enough
I've got a front vent like that on my 996 with a TechArt bumper cover. I haven't had it off to see if it's functional or not, but I'm 99% sure that it is not functional. I've had my 986 front bumper cover off a few times for the install of a GT3 bumper. Behind the cover is a metal bumper that's surrounded by styrofoam. I don't see any good path for the air from the center radiator to exit from a bumper vent in that area.

Kirk