Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CaymanR or GTS????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 01:28 PM
A10ACN is on a distinguished road
CaymanR or GTS????

Don't shoot the new guy!
I'm looking at taking the plunge towards ordering a new Porsche. I'm in Stuttgart, so it just seems natural! I'm new to Porsche but a long time admirer. With that said, I first started out looking at 911s but the web site is so confusing with so many models that I gave up. I started looking at the new CaymanR. Seems more of what I'm looking for- street driven track toy. I went to the dealer at the factory and asked to see one. In the explanation of it, I mentioned how I started looking at 911s but the only track oriented one I saw was the GT3. By this time he knew my interests better and pointed me to a GTS. He said it was a one year only model (which I've since read on the forums that it is not). I really like the idea of the GTS but by the time I option it out on the build site, I'm in GT3 territory, price wise. With a CaymanR I can put all the cool stuff on it but it still seems a little weak engine wise compared to a CaymanS. So, CaymanR optioned the way I want or GTS with only the bare options I desire??? Note- the options I'm interested in are performance oriented, not comfort.

Last edited by A10ACN; 05-01-2011 at 01:31 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:37 PM
KK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by A10ACN
Don't shoot the new guy!
I'm looking at taking the plunge towards ordering a new Porsche. I'm in Stuttgart, so it just seems natural! I'm new to Porsche but a long time admirer. With that said, I first started out looking at 911s but the web site is so confusing with so many models that I gave up. I started looking at the new CaymanR. Seems more of what I'm looking for- street driven track toy. I went to the dealer at the factory and asked to see one. In the explanation of it, I mentioned how I started looking at 911s but the only track oriented one I saw was the GT3. By this time he knew my interests better and pointed me to a GTS. He said it was a one year only model (which I've since read on the forums that it is not). I really like the idea of the GTS but by the time I option it out on the build site, I'm in GT3 territory, price wise. With a CaymanR I can put all the cool stuff on it but it still seems a little weak engine wise compared to a CaymanS. So, CaymanR optioned the way I want or GTS with only the bare options I desire??? Note- the options I'm interested in are performance oriented, not comfort.
I'd say it would come down to how much you can afford. They both are focused and special. If you can swing the GTS, go for it. The GTS is probably the single best 997 for those who want to track a daily-driver but do not want (actual or perceived) sacrifices of a GT3.

The Cayman R is a trackified version of the S that loses little to daily-driver accoutrements. Keep in mind as many journalist say that it is the Cayman equivalent of a GT3 as say it is not.

Old 05-01-2011, 03:04 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Because I don't understand the "pay more for less" philosophy (or as Porsche calls it "minimize to maximize), I'll stay out of this. I'd prefer to pay more to get more.

Old 05-01-2011, 03:05 PM
saeyedoc will become famous soon enoughsaeyedoc will become famous soon enough
How about a used GT3?

Old 05-01-2011, 03:27 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by saeyedoc
How about a used GT3?
^^^ This is my logic. I know the OP didn't offer this as a possible choice, but either a GT3 or Turbo. Everything else is just silly (to me, and money not being an issue).

Old 05-01-2011, 03:34 PM
cesmorris has a spectacular aura aboutcesmorris has a spectacular aura aboutcesmorris has a spectacular aura about
The GTS is a beautiful car. Hard for me to imagine a car that is more comfortable on the street yet a joy to DE or A/X.

Old 05-01-2011, 04:17 PM
umwolverine will become famous soon enoughumwolverine will become famous soon enough
Depends on what you're looking for. A stock Cayman S posted identical times around VIR as a stock 997 S with two pro drivers in the Car and Driver 'Lightning Lap'. 385 hp vs 320. A weight/hp ratio of 8.13 for the 911 and 9.3 for the Cayman.

Now we're talking 408 hp vs 330, and the weight/hp works out to 7.67 for the 911 and 8.65 for the Cayman. I will bet that the Cayman R can run equivalent laptimes to the Carrera GTS with pro drivers at the wheel. There is no doubt whatsoever that pretty much any DE driver will be quicker in the Cayman R.

The Cayman is a much better car, if you want to learn how to race or drive a car to it's limits, than any 911. The R is beefed up to the point where you shouldn't have to worry about anything but brakes and tires until you get to the point of competition. I suspect the GTS will not only cost more to buy, but will cost more to maintain if you're tracking it regularly.

If you're looking for 'status', or want to challenge yourself with mastering a very tricky car to drive fast, then get the GTS.

Old 05-01-2011, 04:39 PM
KK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
Because I don't understand the "pay more for less" philosophy (or as Porsche calls it "minimize to maximize), I'll stay out of this. I'd prefer to pay more to get more.
Oh please Jasper, I've seen the many, many, many pricey options when looking at a GTR. Let me think; um, winter package, silver paint, and um, well, nevermind.

Old 05-01-2011, 08:45 PM
Originally Posted by KK Moto
Oh please Jasper, I've seen the many, many, many pricey options when looking at a GTR. Let me think; um, winter package, silver paint, and um, well, nevermind.
Winter package is free. Tire choice is free. They all come loaded standard (bluetooth, SatNav, HDD for music, etc...). That makes resale easier.

It's paint, or rear camera. That's about it. Please go on about these pricey options (I'm obviously clueless about them). When mine came out, the rear camera wasn't even an option - it was just iPod mount, or no iPod mount (and super silver paint). That was it.

My point is - why pay more to get less, and then pay even MORE to put it back in? Please explain.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:10 PM
saeyedoc will become famous soon enoughsaeyedoc will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by KK Moto
Winter package is free. Tire choice is free. They all come loaded standard (bluetooth, SatNav, HDD for music, etc...). That makes resale easier.

It's paint, or rear camera. That's about it. Please go on about these pricey options (I'm obviously clueless about them). When mine came out, the rear camera wasn't even an option - it was just iPod mount, or no iPod mount (and super silver paint). That was it.

My point is - why pay more to get less, and then pay even MORE to put it back in? Please explain.
It's called sarcasm.

Old 05-01-2011, 11:10 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
It sounds as though the Op is trying to find balance with all the different models and what they offer.

There is a distiction between the track oriented Porsches compared to the street (and track ) versions . At the extreme end of luxury would sit the 997 Turbo Cab . At the extreme end of track woild sit the Gt3RS .

Then there's everything in between with a price to justify spending 5K more to get X or 5K less to not have X.

It's my opinion that the jock of all but the master of none is the 997. It has enough interior room to feel like a coupe , is fast and agile enough for the track, but comfortable enough for daily use . It lacks the greatness of the Gt3 or Turbo . It lacks the specificity of the Cayman R . It lacks the higher price of the GtS as well as a few Hp .. but its narrow body might feel more agility on those track drives without all the fluff that's on the Gts.

It isn't number 1 in anything .. but yet its number 1 in everything for the guy who wants balance . Even the price is balanced . A base coupe can be bought at cayman R pricing.

Old 05-02-2011, 06:42 AM
Originally Posted by saeyedoc
It's called sarcasm.
Well, crap. I failed...

Sorry, KK. It was late, my apologies...

Old 05-02-2011, 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
Well, crap. I failed...

Sorry, KK. It was late, my apologies...
No sweat. I actually make my weirdest entries while drinking, so I understand tired.

Old 05-02-2011, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by yrralis1
It sounds as though the Op is trying to find balance with all the different models and what they offer.

There is a distiction between the track oriented Porsches compared to the street (and track ) versions . At the extreme end of luxury would sit the 997 Turbo Cab . At the extreme end of track woild sit the Gt3RS .

Then there's everything in between with a price to justify spending 5K more to get X or 5K less to not have X.

It's my opinion that the jock of all but the master of none is the 997. It has enough interior room to feel like a coupe , is fast and agile enough for the track, but comfortable enough for daily use . It lacks the greatness of the Gt3 or Turbo . It lacks the specificity of the Cayman R . It lacks the higher price of the GtS as well as a few Hp .. but its narrow body might feel more agility on those track drives without all the fluff that's on the Gts.
Brilliant synopsis of the 997, rep pt for you.....

Old 05-02-2011, 02:31 PM
^ He is always good for that.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CaymanR or GTS????