Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman with LS9.... Can it be done?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 09:57 PM
Canuck911TT is on a distinguished road
Cayman with LS9.... Can it be done?

To many this may sound like sacriledge, but has anyone thought of putting monster power into the awesome looking Cayman body? What would you do? What can and can't be done? Rather than doing a kit car, I'm thinking of an LS9 into a Cayman.

From those that may know and those with an opinion, let me know your thoughts.

Fire away

Old 11-06-2012, 11:28 PM
the_vetman has a spectacular aura aboutthe_vetman has a spectacular aura about
I wouldn't say sacrilege, though I wouldn't necessarily do it myself.

Can it be done? YES.

Cost? $35,000-40,000 last time I checked.

Old 11-07-2012, 01:36 AM
Spec is on a distinguished road
The first and only question, is why?

Old 11-07-2012, 07:48 AM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
This is very interesting, I have not personally heard of this yet. I would personally just get a R, but if you go with the LS9 please do a write up about it.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:43 AM
extanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond repute
with a truck load of money........sure. could be easier dropin the body on a c5/c6 or camero chassis. i put NOS in my po a few years ago.......you should have seen the po gods flip out over that

Last edited by extanker; 11-07-2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:51 AM
Canuck911TT is on a distinguished road
Vetman,

Are you guessing at the dollars or do you know of one that's been done? Any pics to see what was involved?

Old 11-08-2012, 12:59 AM
A forum member on another site was considering LS9 transplant after he blew his engine in a CS, and that's what he said would cost at a shop that's doing such transplants. Forgot the shop's name... He ultimately went another route. I don't have any pics.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:46 AM
extanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Canuck911TT
Vetman,

Are you guessing at the dollars or do you know of one that's been done? Any pics to see what was involved?
their is a shop that does conversions for corvettes [old corvette body fitted on a c5/c6 chassis] i believe the customer supplies the donor car [running chassis] go to a few corvette forums [i forget the shops name]. i did see pictures of a ls motor being test fitted in a cayman but i think the whole post was a troll/poser. the air filter would have been next to the drivers right ear. try digital corvettes forum for the conversion shop. hope it helps. let us know how it turns out. good luck trying to stay under 100k total

Old 11-08-2012, 12:32 PM
cpturbo is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Spec
The first and only question, is why?
B/c Porsche's m96 and m97 motors are poor designs. Dont make good power and are unreliable.

Small block chevy is cheap and reliable. Not to mention very powerful.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by cpturbo
B/c Porsche's m96 and m97 motors are poor designs. Dont make good power and are unreliable.

tru dat. but you will sooooo upset the po gods here

Old 11-08-2012, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by cpturbo

Uh, show me another 3.4 L flat engine making 300 hp, 3.6 L = 345 hp, 3.8 L = 385 hp. Unreliable to who? Yes, there are failures, but a small percentage of every manufacturer's engines fail.

Chevy engine is cheap, I'll give you that. But push-rod?? Current Z06 uses a 7 L engine to make what... little over 500? Rest assured that if Porsche had made a 7 L engine, it would make over 1,000 hp. Even adding the numbers above together, 7 L should come close to 700 hp - and the gains would not be linear as simple as just adding together.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:56 AM
Or, let's talk about V configuration. 918's engine will make about 123 hp/L. If you translate that to NA Chevy, Z06 should be making 860 hp!!

Old 11-09-2012, 11:09 AM
theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !
why not a subaru flat 4... replace a boxer with a boxer and build with a turbo as far as you want.