Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Build input?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 09:05 AM
FullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud of
Build input?

Thinking about either buying a CPO Cayman S or ordering this build. Anyone care to share thoughts on why this would be a good or bad build? Anything I'm missing that I'll regret, or something that doesn't go together well? Planned use is daily driver, with occasional autocross or track day (I already have a pure race car).

http://www.porsche.com/microsite/por...de/?c=PE4B28D2

Exterior Color Dark Blue Metallic N4
Standard Interior i.c.w. Leather Seats, Luxor Beige UJ

Deletion of Model Designation 498

Sport Chrono Package 639
Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) 475
Manual Transmission 480
19-inch Cayman S Wheels 406

Sport Seats Plus P04

CDR Plus Audio System P27

Old 10-26-2013, 01:46 PM
DFW911T will become famous soon enoughDFW911T will become famous soon enough
Beautiful color combo.
Sport design steering wheel and infotainment system?

Old 10-26-2013, 03:15 PM
FullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by DFW911T
Beautiful color combo.
Sport design steering wheel and infotainment system?
Not sure how useful the wheel is with 6MT - the paddles are a PDK option, and I don't think you can get the wheel without them. Anyone know if there's a "paddle-less" version, or if the paddles take on a differednt function without the PDK?

I actually don't want the infotainment system. I find the screen and extra crap distracting; in fact, I wish I could get a car without any sort of flat panel deisplay in the center console. If I could get the Burmester without infotainment, I would go for it. Sometimes less is more.....

Old 10-27-2013, 04:14 PM
mcomet is on a distinguished road
You can get sport design wheel with 6MT I have it. Most people get it as it just looks better than standard. Unless you want multifunction button wheel.

I would rec full leather if you have the $$. My one regret on my build. I have Bose and info and I have to say audio sucks. If I had the $ I would have done burmeister. Or after market might make sense now...

Old 10-28-2013, 10:29 AM
pecora is on a distinguished road
Back up camera

Old 10-28-2013, 10:54 AM
speedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by mcomet
You can get sport design wheel with 6MT I have it. Most people get it as it just looks better than standard. Unless you want multifunction button wheel.

I would rec full leather if you have the $$. My one regret on my build. I have Bose and info and I have to say audio sucks. If I had the $ I would have done burmeister. Or after market might make sense now...
I agree bose does suck. The bose on this is actually really really bad. Idk why. But at least the exhaust sounds nice

Old 11-01-2013, 06:32 AM
stixlr8 is on a distinguished road
Maybe think about PSE, although you can add it later.
I think the Bose sounds fine if you want the Infotainment package. The CDR audio has to be way worse than the Bose - not as many speakers.
No backup camera option on the Cayman.
PDLS is awesome and worth the money.

Old 11-02-2013, 06:22 PM
Originally Posted by stixlr8
Maybe think about PSE, although you can add it later.
Cool option, but not really my cup'o'tea for a daily driver; if money weren't a factor I'd get it for the occasional weekend blast. Truth be told, though, if there's no impact on power or handling, it's audible jewelry - and I'm into driving, not displaying. YMMV.

I think the Bose sounds fine
No, sorry, but it doesn't. It sounds like crap. There are huge gaps in the response curve - whole instruments are 8-10 dB below the rest of the mix on any decent jazz or classical recording. I can't tolerate it - the Harmon-Kardon system in my wife's Mini is FAR better, and even the unit in my old Ford Excursion sounds better (and it's not that great).

if you want the Infotainment package.
...I don't really care about it, so it's not worth paying for, IMO.

The CDR audio has to be way worse than the Bose - not as many speakers.
Please tell me you're not serious. Are you suggesting that 7 3" AM radio speakers will sound better than a good pair of Focals or B&Ws? All of the drivers in the CDR and and Bose options are crap anyway, so they'll get replaced pretty much no matter what. What's at issue for me is how accurate the signal coming from the head unit is, and whether or not the outputs are close enough to standard levels to use aftermarket amps.

I'm assuming that the Burmester system adds good drivers, but it's just too much $$$ for any car stereo, IMO - and I really don't want to pay for the infotainment stuff that you have to take with it.

PDLS is awesome and worth the money.
PDLS? Excuse my ignorance, but which option is that?

I should have clarified that my real goal is to maximize (1) handling performance and (2) sound quality for under $75K all-in (including aftermarket add-ons). Thus, PASM, Sport Seats Plus, and 6MT are at the top of my list, assuming an after-market audio system. Sport Chrono is next on the list.....not so sure about how much difference it really makes, though.

Old 11-02-2013, 06:53 PM
mcomet is on a distinguished road
For me I love PSE. If you want REALLY REALLY loud go aftermarket. But for me, with windows down, it's just right. And it has the button to turn off for the wife. My car is more weekend/fun car... it's not about displaying, more for my own aural pleasure.

Speaking of, yes my Bose sucks. I was quite disappointed when it arrived. I guess I should have gotten Burmester but $$$ so oh well. I've tweaked it as best as I can and will live with it, as I wanted the proper Porsche head unit and nav...

PDLS is the head light package that ups the brightness and adds lights that both turn in conjunction with steering and extend further away as you speed up. My car doesn't have it and I haven't really missed it, but I hear it's good.

Old 11-02-2013, 10:44 PM
DFW911T will become famous soon enoughDFW911T will become famous soon enough
Bose makes a really good product ...

their noise cancelling headphones.
They're a must for international flights, you arrive feeling much fresher than listening to engine drone for 9 hours.

As to the Bose unit in my car, it works well enough to keep me entertained. I have hearing damage in the upper range, but the Bose base is what is lacking to me. Try to increase it and it sounds boomy and hollow, but overall, it doesn't matter that much.

For me, the Bose system is good enough, I'll spend the Burmeister money on PSE or an intake or springs or ... something.

Old 11-03-2013, 12:45 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I like your build . A few comments --

1) I don't know anything about the CDR . I am not an audio guru . I did buy my Boxster S off the lot and it had Bose . I never cared for the Bose but do feel it's improved greatly since the 997 .

2) I would add sport exhaust . To me the exhaust sound is more important than the stereo.

3) I have read numerous posts on sun glare with beige interiors . It is something to look into .

Nice build at a modest price .