Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'05 Boxster S Engine Failure- Warranty Will Replace Engine. Options for Engine Swap?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 01:13 PM
MrNurse has a spectacular aura aboutMrNurse has a spectacular aura about
'05 Boxster S Engine Failure- Warranty Will Replace Engine. Options for Engine Swap?

My engine failed and my shop said I either have to get a new engine or they will rebuild my current one:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...t-do-i-do.html

I briefly spoke to my shop and they said the aftermarket warranty will give me a call. He said that the warranty will pay for a used engine. I will know more of the details when I speak to my warranty company.

I'd like to know:

1. What are my options for my 2005 Boxster S? If possible, I would like to move on from my 3.2L engine for more power, especially because of the IMSicon failure.
3.4L from and 06+ Cayman/Boxster? 911 Engine (I would love this)?

2. Where can I find these engines so I can tell my shop. I'd like to look at the prices too.

3. Will it be cheaper than getting the same used 3.2L engine?
Thank you!

Attached Images  

Last edited by MrNurse; 05-06-2014 at 01:22 PM.
Old 05-06-2014, 02:42 PM
White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !
I've seen people put the 997 x-51 engine in your model boxster. And oh man are they fun to drive!

Old 05-08-2014, 03:21 AM
507fan is on a distinguished road
I recently suffered 'catastrophic failure' in my 986 S. After exploring all avenues, I went with a stage 3 rebuild from Jake Raby at Flat6 Innovations (http://flat6innovations.com/index.ph...rts-a-services). My concern was that all of the M96/M97 engines are prone to failure and a remanufactured engine was still prone to all of the known modes of failure.
However, if your reman'ed engine has a warranty, at least you are covered during that time.
The X51 is a great option and you can offset the cost by selling your reman'ed engine...these are in high demand given the number that are popping.
Good luck!

Old 05-12-2014, 09:18 AM
Dave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to behold
Go for the 3.8L if the budget allows....

Old 05-14-2014, 09:02 PM
gottspd has a spectacular aura aboutgottspd has a spectacular aura about
Forgive the off topic question, but which engines are more reliable, the 2.7 base engine or the 3.2 S engine?

Old 05-15-2014, 03:35 AM
I must preface this by stating that I am not an expert. Only someone w a 3.2 that experienced a failure and was forced to do some research. I have not looked at the statistics on the smaller engine, but I think that the internal components that are failing are shared. For example, the rod bolt failure is a common mode of failure in M96. I've seen this in 3.2 Boxsters and 3.4 911s. I don't think the engine size mattered. Similarly the IMS issues were across all engines. I was with a friend when his 997 IMS popped with no warning or signal.
If I had it to do over again, I'd either only drive one in factory warranty or buy the same aftermarket warranty this original poster did.

Old 05-18-2014, 09:54 AM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MrNurse
My engine failed and my shop said I either have to get a new engine or they will rebuild my current one:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...t-do-i-do.html

I briefly spoke to my shop and they said the aftermarket warranty will give me a call. He said that the warranty will pay for a used engine. I will know more of the details when I speak to my warranty company.

I'd like to know:

1. What are my options for my 2005 Boxster S? If possible, I would like to move on from my 3.2L engine for more power, especially because of the IMSicon failure.
3.4L from and 06+ Cayman/Boxster? 911 Engine (I would love this)?

2. Where can I find these engines so I can tell my shop. I'd like to look at the prices too.

3. Will it be cheaper than getting the same used 3.2L engine?
Thank you!
Are you sure the warranty will not pay for a factory replacement engine? I'd be darn sure before I went after a used engine.

The lowest cost engine swap and the one most likely to be trouble free is to swap like for like. Try to find a donor car as close to yours as possible, same MY, same transmission type; and use its engine.

The engine is essentially a bolt in.

The cost of swapping in a similar engine is in the long term probably the least costly course.

The further afield you venture the more issues have to be resolved. Now some shops have resolved these but you'll pay. There is too the issue of dealing with a hybrid at service time. A lot of parts are based on VIN. With a different engine the parts may not match up with the engine.

If you are going to use this opportunity to try to upgrade to an engine from a dissimilar car then you need to consult with a shop that the experience to advise you what other engines are available and what the cost is and other downsides to going this route.

The shop you are using for the engine swap should be able to find you a suitable engine. If it doesn't know how to to do this, I'm not sure it is the shop you should be using.

There is more to finding an engine. Calling around to any one of the several salvage businesses that deal in Porsches should find you an engine. It is making sure the engine is a suitable candidate to swap into your car is the harder job.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:34 PM
BiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud of
call Jason over at 9XX Motors in Long Beach, CA.
He may have a rebuilt engine option for you already available or be able to take your 3.2 out to a 3.4 or 3.6
Jason Chott - (562)470-7202

Old 05-20-2014, 02:37 PM
+1 on Macsters "factory replacement" over used.
I don't trust used or rebuilt unless you know and trust the person that did the rebuild. Especially w these engines.