Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Luckily no one was killed...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 08:23 AM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
Luckily no one was killed...

You have to learn some self constraint.

Last edited by Steve997S; 09-17-2017 at 08:25 AM.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:54 AM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
There are tons of videos of accidents of cars pulling out at various gatherings. There is always at least one driver that loses control.

The times I'm at any of these gatherings/events I stand well back from the street.

And if I happen to leave during the event and I end up driving by the crowd that lines the street I remind myself to be cool don't be a fool. I may get booed for not gunning my Turbo but I don't run the risk of losing control and taking out a number of spectators either.

Old 09-17-2017, 08:13 PM
syswizard is an unknown quantity at this point
That was a snap oversteer situation where the car quickly goes sideways and it won't "come back"....easily.
I was in one of those with a Miata....and it nearly killed me. I did manage to straighten it, but I ran out of road, hit a tree about 10 foot from the berm, and that flipped it over.
Mine was caused by trying to avoid some deer.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:08 AM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
Well considering the driver had just made a right turn onto that road, and probably hit full throttle as he was straightening out had a lot to do with it. Plus being on cold tires didn't help (based on the report he was leaving the event). I know many of the roads here in San Antonio are very slick thanks to the pebbles they use in the aggregate and can very easily cause your tires to spin up. Lots of factors, but the number one being the need to show off. Last I saw there weren't any charges set yet. But needless to say he'll owe many people some money.

Old 09-21-2017, 12:16 AM
PNug is on a distinguished road
Really! Did he have the traction control turned off? I don't feel sorry for him, only the people he hit. He did own a sweet ride, now after trying to show off. He's doesn't. I have people pull along side me wanting to race or I'm driving fast enjoying car on a nice section of road some kid in his Subaru or Mustang comes racing after me. I slow right away and wave them off. Last thing I'm interested is street racing. He look like he was trying to catch up to that Bimmer. Street racing is the quickest way to lose your money, car, license, freedom and possibly someone's life. Not even close to worth it.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:22 AM
Originally Posted by PNug
Did he have the traction control turned off?
I am curious...
How does traction control and/or LSD affect the handling in that particular situation ?

Old 09-22-2017, 08:49 AM
Pete Wilson is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by PNug
Street racing is the quickest way to lose your money, car, license, freedom and possibly someone's life. Not even close to worth it.
I'm sure there are much, much quicker ways.

Old 09-22-2017, 02:16 PM
Originally Posted by syswizard
I am curious...
How does traction control and/or LSD affect the handling in that particular situation ?
The Spyder has PTV, LSD and you can disable or retard traction control. I'm thinking he was actually trying to power slide it a bit and at the point he should have checked up, he kept on the throttle and lost control. His steering inputs were most likely wrong for the situation. Only he can tell us, and I don't see that happening. I haven't had any issue with traction in a straight line. The Spyder also has unusually tall gearing in the lower gears so it has even less tendency to spin the tires so aggressively as to cause such a loss of control. I can only believe this is all the result of driver error.

Last edited by Steve997S; 09-23-2017 at 09:35 AM.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:10 AM
jg_atl is on a distinguished road
Clearly the guy ran out of talent. And at a pretty low level. Dumbass!

Old 09-23-2017, 10:42 AM
Can anyone guess whether or not that car is repairable ?
Clearly there is a lot of damage to the rear suspension.....but what else ?

Old 09-23-2017, 12:37 PM
jg_atl is on a distinguished road
Maybe that is the new Boxster Spyder rear wheel steer option! Yeah, besides the rear suspension, it looks like he ran over a sign, so there will be some bodywork damage. Probably the biggest issue is whether the frame was bent and if it can be put on the rack and put back into some semblance of square. If the car was repaired, I would not buy it!

Old 09-23-2017, 12:38 PM
I would be concerned over alignment front and rear. Take note, steer clear of that gray Spyder with the super gaudy pinstripes that scream show off!

Old 09-24-2017, 12:02 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by syswizard
Can anyone guess whether or not that car is repairable ?
Clearly there is a lot of damage to the rear suspension.....but what else ?
My guess is the car will be declared a total loss. There is some serious/severe damage to the car's running gear, drivetrain, and those suspension components don't break without first bending the heck out of the chassis attachement points. My 4 week old new 2008 Cayman S was hit at the driver side front wheel/a pillar area and just front end body and suspension damage was done and the other driver's insurance company finally after several weeks and 3 adjusters (the last one an "exotic car" adjuster) came up with the same big repair bill estimate (over 45K).

However, there is the possibility because the driver was at fault and his insurance will then kick in -- assuming his insurance company doesn't deny coverage based on the video -- and his insurance company will pay to repair the car but use the fine print in the policy to effect a sub-par repair.

I faced something similar with my 996 Turbo after a mule deer encounter. I got the car to a local body shop for repair but after a few days the owner told me my insurance company was refusing to authorise a proper repair, a proper repair as per Porsche guidelines. The owner of the body shop told me he received 40% of his business from referrals by my insurance company and if he went against the insurance company he could lose that business and I would have to fund the difference in what the insurance company allowed vs. what was really necessary out of my pocket. At the time the rough estimate was in the $20K range. (The final repair came to over $25K.)

When I asked him what I should do his advice was that I should "get mad" and pull the car out of his shop and take the car to a shop that had no business arrangement with my insurance company to get the car properly repaired. And this is what I did.

Old 09-30-2017, 09:40 PM
Jon Wicks is an unknown quantity at this point
Thank goodness no one died. From what I read there were several young children seriously hurt (5 in all). I don't think I would drive a car that way unless it was on a open and safe track like a PCA event. My heart goes out to the people who where hurt, their families and also the driver. He made a poor choice and there will be consequences, though he is only human.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.