Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

How important is the coolant pipe upgrade on an 04 Cayenne TT?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 04:28 PM
futheman is on a distinguished road
How important is the coolant pipe upgrade on an 04 Cayenne TT?

I have found a couple of low mile 2004 Cayenne Twin Turbos. Everything checks out on them, but they have the plastic cooling pipes and were not upgraded to the aluminum ones. From what I've seen, it's expensive to upgrade.

Should I look for an 05 or would it be safe to buy an 04 with plastic pipe?

Old 11-05-2009, 04:37 PM
Adman is on a distinguished road
I just bought an 04 but mine has had the upgrade done. It's something that will have to be done sooner or later and really isn't that expensive IMHO. If you can find a clean 04 that checks out well I would go for it.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:18 PM
huskyfan23 will become famous soon enough
If there isn't a warranty, move on. It's an expensive repair. Some members have gotten it repaired pro bono, but that doesn't necessarily mean you'll get it.

Old 11-06-2009, 02:08 PM
the head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the rough
If you have to take it to the shop, it's over $1000 to get fixed. If you were to fix it yourself, it'd be less than half that. Mine were replaced under warranty.

Old 11-09-2009, 03:45 PM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
Mine happen taking it to my mechanic's for a service, came outside to show him the items I requested for service and radiator fluid every where, he told me he has to take off the top half that the plastic lines run along the block and the heat is to much for the plastic. my cost was 485.00. great mechanic

Old 11-09-2009, 04:46 PM
futheman is on a distinguished road
I decided to pass on the Cayenne T's I was looking at since they still has plastic tubing. Seemed like a ticking time bomb.

Thanks for the info.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:48 PM
porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 2muchtime
Mine happen taking it to my mechanic's for a service, came outside to show him the items I requested for service and radiator fluid every where, he told me he has to take off the top half that the plastic lines run along the block and the heat is to much for the plastic. my cost was 485.00. great mechanic
For $485 I would make sure he did the main lower pipe as well. If not, you'll be back. And this isn't just Cayenne turbo specific, it is all first generation Cayenne V8s. Realistically, I wouldn't let this stand in the way of you and the car you want.

Old 11-10-2009, 12:24 AM
rockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to behold
I have an '06 TT with 49,000 miles. Coolant slowly began to leak and dealer took care of the plastic coolant pipes. They replaced them with the aluminum ones. Definitely an expensive fix. Luckily just made it at the end of the warranty period.

So it really doesn't matter if you get an 04 or an 06 for that specific reason. It can still have the same coolant problem.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:29 AM
str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !
Mine went over the summer and dumped coolant all over my driveway. I believe the fix was over 1500 from the dealer.. thank god I had my car CPO....

Old 11-10-2009, 10:21 AM
intheflesh has a spectacular aura aboutintheflesh has a spectacular aura aboutintheflesh has a spectacular aura about
what years does this problem effect? i dont check the board often; this is the first time i have ever heard something about it.

i am plaaning on bringing my car in for its 60K service this week, its an 06' Cayenne S. should i have it replaced?

Old 11-10-2009, 11:16 AM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by porschespeeddemon
For $485 I would make sure he did the main lower pipe as well. If not, you'll be back. And this isn't just Cayenne turbo specific, it is all first generation Cayenne V8s. Realistically, I wouldn't let this stand in the way of you and the car you want.

He did replace the main lower as well..

Old 11-16-2009, 08:36 AM
SeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud of
Another thing to check out (as I found out recently) is there are two plastic coolant lines inside the intake manifold. These can also crack. Ask me how I know! 100% of my coolant basically went into the manifold and straight out my exhaust while crusing at 70mph on the hwy. Poor sucka behind me didn't know what happened when all of a sudden his windshield was drenched in coolant and water.

I was out of warranty and it cost $2k to fix and upgrade the pieces to the new steel-braided versions. I'm still pissed and think it should have been a recall fix but I guess not quite enough have failed to recall...though enough so that they upgraded the part!

Old 11-16-2009, 05:20 PM
pct2005 is on a distinguished road
05 here, had the leak, car was cpo'd, covered under warranty

Old 11-16-2009, 09:14 PM
porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SeattleBum
Another thing to check out (as I found out recently) is there are two plastic coolant lines inside the intake manifold. These can also crack. Ask me how I know! 100% of my coolant basically went into the manifold and straight out my exhaust while crusing at 70mph on the hwy. Poor sucka behind me didn't know what happened when all of a sudden his windshield was drenched in coolant and water.

I was out of warranty and it cost $2k to fix and upgrade the pieces to the new steel-braided versions. I'm still pissed and think it should have been a recall fix but I guess not quite enough have failed to recall...though enough so that they upgraded the part!
Do you have part numbers for above repair? There is no coolant inside the intake manifold, or any "steel-braided" coolant lines.

Old 11-17-2009, 01:59 AM
Modaholic
Kevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond repute
Call Sunset Porsche they have the package of all the parts you need and a couple of additional parts that should get replaced while doing the job. I just ordered all of them getting ready to do mine in the next week.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How important is the coolant pipe upgrade on an 04 Cayenne TT?