Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Cayenne V6 vs "S" let's be honest

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 07:35 PM
Bennylava is on a distinguished road
Cayenne V6 vs "S" let's be honest

I am planning on picking up a new Cayenne this winter to replace my wife's Lexus GX470. My DD is a Cayman.

Was planning on a "S" until I drove the V6 a few weeks ago. I was pleasantly surprised. At street legal speeds the difference between the two vehicles isn't dramatic.

Am I delusional? If you punch the V6 you are at arrest me speeds pretty darn quick.

Is the Cayenne "S" just an emotional decision since I am not driving the autobahn?

Thanks for your opinions/insights/experiences....

Old 10-12-2010, 11:20 PM
spinny02 is on a distinguished road
If your happy with the V6 why spend the extra money for the S?

Last edited by spinny02; 10-12-2010 at 11:42 PM.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:10 AM
ManMachine is on a distinguished road
I guess for some, the turbo is also unnecessary.

Old 10-13-2010, 01:17 AM
spinny02 is on a distinguished road
power hungry =O)

Old 10-13-2010, 01:43 AM
gr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to all
It all depends upon your applications. If you're towing anything of heft, you need an 8-cylinder.

However, the refinement (all leather) and finishing touches and air suspension start at the turbo level.

But I am not so sure I'd get another turbo because turbo lag makes winter driving more precarious.

Also, I love to autocross and the S optioned with air, PVT and PDDC would be more responsive.

But then there is that SHOVE back in your seat and the confidence that you're in one of the fastest on the road that gives one a sense of security.

Alas, for shear affordability I think the new V6 might be preferable but I'd miss the excitement of lighting up two turbos trying to manage the slalom and the brakes--are much better in the turbo!

Old 10-13-2010, 07:08 AM
Cole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really nice
Originally Posted by Bennylava
Let's be honest

Okay, TURBO!!!!!!!

(for many many many reasons)

Old 10-13-2010, 07:30 AM
P-car Fan is on a distinguished road
I'll probably be opting for the V6 because of the same point you made. Also, its not like I go racing in the family suv (that's what the cayman s is for ;-) ), so as long as it has good acceleration around town, then I'm fine with it.

Anyone know if you can get the optional 21" turbo II rims on the V6?

Old 10-13-2010, 07:45 AM
FastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud of
If price isn't a concern, my question would be why not get the S model? There's only 1MPG difference and the extra power is there when you need it.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:24 AM
RobsCountach is on a distinguished road
Not Really. Take out a Chevy Tahoe, then talk about it 'just' being an SUV.

The Interior is more like my 85 Maserati than a 'plasticy' SUV.

The audio package is far above anything you'll find there too; AND I do mean the audio from the tailpipes as well - .

Handling speaks for itself. I took my 'S' out recently and purposely made a few emergency turns & stops (not in traffic). Wow, feels like a sports car. Grips the road in turns, isn't bouncy going down the road; however, bumps aren't brutal. Love the European feel it has.

Etc...

Originally Posted by P-car Fan
I'll probably be opting for the V6 because of the same point you made. Also, its not like I go racing in the family suv (that's what the cayman s is for ;-) ), so as long as it has good acceleration around town, then I'm fine with it.

Anyone know if you can get the optional 21" turbo II rims on the V6?

Old 10-13-2010, 08:46 AM
split is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these parts
i would agree with the OP that the V6 is great up to the legal speed limit. its geared short enough that you can hit 100mph before it really starts to breath.

the only reason i'd get an S, is if it comes with more standard features (which i'm not even certain it does).

Old 10-13-2010, 10:20 AM
Magnetic K will become famous soon enough
For a DD SUV, I felt that the S had too much power, and that the V6 was enough. So, I ordered the V6. Yes, money was a factor. I could not justify the $15k delta between the S and the V6. Still, optioned out, the V6 is still priced over $67k, which is still not inexpensive. I was seeking an excellent handling SUV with decent amenities and acceleration. So I agree with the OP, the base V6 Cayenne fit the bill. As a DD in the hills of New England, an SUV can go only so fast. If money were not an issue, sure, get a Turbo.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:56 AM
slwong23 is on a distinguished road
I recently test drove both the S and the V6 on the streets (didn't take either to the highway), I couldn't tell too much of a difference. Acceleration to the speed limit was great in both, however, I didn't punch either of the them, and it was only a 10-15 min test drive in light traffic.

I too, opted for a V6. While there are many reasons, mostly selfish , to get an S, it was easier to justify with the wife. Optioned out, it's close to the base price of an S, but I'd rather have an optioned out V6 exactly how I want it over a base S. As someone else mentioned, the extra power isn't necessary for everyone, but I'm sure it is nice! And only if money wasn't an issue... January can't come soon enough!

Last edited by slwong23; 10-13-2010 at 10:58 AM.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:44 AM
C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !
Are there any cosmetic differences between the 2 other than the "S" in the rear? Bumpers are the same?

Old 10-13-2010, 05:03 PM
P-car Fan is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by C4SxM5
Are there any cosmetic differences between the 2 other than the "S" in the rear? Bumpers are the same?
I'd like to know that as well--are there any exterior styling differences between the V6 and "S" models?

Old 10-13-2010, 05:16 PM
slwong23 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by P-car Fan
I'd like to know that as well--are there any exterior styling differences between the V6 and "S" models?
There are only 3 differences to my knowledge. 1) Brakes = black on V6, silver on S, 2) Front grill = two tone black and body color on V6, all black on S, 3) Badge on back. I believe all can be changed as options.

Would love to hear if there are more...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cayenne V6 vs "S" let's be honest