Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Confused about rear differential lock

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 07:14 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Confused about rear differential lock

Are there first generation Cayenne's that have a low range engage, center differential lock, but no rear differential lock? Was the rear differential lock only available with the off road package and roll bar disconnect?

My 05 TT does not engage it's rear differential lock - in neutral, the slide is pushed forward...first low range, then center differential, but the rear does not engage.

When I opened the driver side fuse panel, it seems to be missing fuses #22, 23, and 47...22 is for the rear differential lock, 23 is for the rear differential and antiroll bars, and 47 is for the rear diff as well. None of these fuses are installed. I'm guessing that the rear differential lock was only available with the roll bar disconnect as the adv offroad tech package?

Last edited by bbywu; 04-09-2011 at 07:37 PM.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:40 PM
Bigbuzuki will become famous soon enough
Centre diff lock plus rear diff lock option code is I1Y1.

Old 04-10-2011, 06:42 AM
the head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the rough
Yep, Advanced Offroad Technology Package:
"The package includes special side protection and a steel plate under floor panel around the radiator as well as a fully controllable (up to 100 percent) differential lock on the rear axle. To fully activate the lock, the driver operates the central off-pavement switch a third time. The fully controlled rear axle lock then ensures even better traction when setting off on slippery surfaces with varying frictional coefficients or when negotiating curves.

The package also uses anti-roll bars on the front and rear axle. These anti-roll bars have built in "claw clutches" that are hydraulically activated and deactivated by a switch in the center console. This allows increased front and rear axle articulation by 2.36 inches (60 mm), which improves ride comfort by minimizing body sway and enhancing off-pavement driving qualities and traction when negotiating rocks, tree trunks or bumps.

To ensure the Cayenne’s sporting driving qualities on the road, the anti-roll bars can only be disconnected in the low range mode. As soon as the Cayenne, with its anti-roll bars disconnected, returns from rough terrain to the road, the anti-roll bars are automatically reconnected as a safety feature once the vehicle exceeds 31 mph (50 km/h), thus providing the type of stability required for on-pavement driving."

Old 04-11-2011, 06:16 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Thanks for the replies!

bob

Old 06-08-2011, 09:24 PM
jmarkoa is on a distinguished road
How to identify the Advanced Offroad Tech Package

This photo shows how to positively identify the package when you are searching through vehicle photos. After searching almost a thousand used vehicles on Cars.com, I've only seen two used vehicles for sale that actually have this package. I've seen many that incorrectly list it as an option, but this switch in the photo is the only way I know to positively visually verify the option.

I just put a deposit on one of the two I found, and will be taking delivery this weekend. I hope it turns out to be worth it, with all the weeks of searching...

It would be interesting to know exactly how rare this option is. The turbo I am purchasing also comes optioned with the spare tire carrier, and entry and drive; two other harder to find options. Anyone know of a way to find out how many vehicles had these options?

Attached Images  
Old 06-09-2011, 06:35 AM
the head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the rough
That's awesome. Pics when you get it, please.

Old 06-09-2011, 12:59 PM
skier is on a distinguished road
Interesting.....

But then again, that button is where the 'sport mode' usually is located.

Keep us updated.

Old 06-10-2011, 06:47 AM
Originally Posted by skier
Interesting.....

But then again, that button is where the 'sport mode' usually is located.

Keep us updated.
Only if you have one of the newer, fancy-shcmancy models...

Old 06-10-2011, 11:49 AM
jmarkoa is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by the head
Only if you have one of the newer, fancy-shcmancy models...
Yeah, I was only shopping for a top of the line 06 model or older. I couldn't see spending over 50K for a vehicle that I will be using for moderate off-roading and pulling a 7500 lb GVW trailer.

So, does the sport button on the newer models mean they have the Advanced Offroad Tech Package with the locking rear differential? If so, what year was the change and how do you tell the difference between one that does not have it?

Old 10-25-2012, 08:36 PM
norsecarnut is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jmarkoa

So, does the sport button on the newer models mean they have the Advanced Offroad Tech Package with the locking rear differential? If so, what year was the change and how do you tell the difference between one that does not have it?
No, the version 2 Cayenne lost the "Advanced Offroad Technology Package" but gained options available: PDCC and also a locking rear differential. My understanding of it is as follows.

The "sport button" on 2008-2010 Cayenne just stiffens the damper rate or something like that.

However, PDCC when used during low range setting, will disconnect the sway bars, similar to how the "Advanced Offroad Technology Package" would do so as described above. The locking rear diff is a separate option from PDCC and simply works by pulling the left dial back a further time after having chosen low range and the center diff. The little lights will glow when engaged.

Obviously the way to see if PDCC is built on the vehicle in photos is the full silver switch set as opposed to black middle with silver dial/rollers.

There was an "off road" package of some sort but I think it may have just been the rear diff and underbody armor.

As a total oxymoron build, I saw and was intrigued by a 2006 CTT S model with the full "Advanced Offroad Technology Package" and locking rear diff. The ironic thing is that a TTS has such large brakes, larger than the same year standard Turbo, that you can't use wheels smaller than 19". The brakes essentially make the idea of "Advanced Offroad Technology Package" silly due to wheel size requiring lower profile tires.

That CTTS also had a full pano sunroof, full special leather, 4 zone, rear camera, it was crazy optioned and I was almost ready to buy it and just sell/swap the brakes with a standard Turbo owner to allow 18's onto it.

Oh, well, some soccer mom is rolling around in it now near West Chester and has no idea what wonderful goodies it was built with!!!

Old 07-30-2014, 10:11 AM
04cayenne32 is on a distinguished road
04 cayenne S aftermarket lockers

I bought an 04 cayenne S with no off road package. I want to add it to it. At least the lockers. Is it possible?

Old 07-30-2014, 10:47 AM
Serg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond repute
probably yes, but noone try I guess. I will try to add rear lock, but not now.

Old 07-30-2014, 01:30 PM
gh0stman is on a distinguished road
Finding these parts to make up the package you are wanting will be like hunting a needle in a haystack. And once you find them price wise it wont be worth it. It would be cheaper to sell what you have and find a vehicle optioned to your liking.