Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Did I screw up by spec?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 08:53 PM
MAPC is on a distinguished road
Did I screw up by spec?

I am feeling buyers remorse over two things in my buildnthat I can't change at this late date:

1. Meant to order satellite radio and I missed it
2. Decided that I didn't need rear camera if I had f/r sensors.

If I want them now I have to give up my June build slot and move to August- meaning no car until Oct or Nov. Not sure I am up for the extra wait.

What would you all do? Particularly interested in hearing from people that don't have them and don't miss them or so have them and feel that they are critical.

Thanks!

Old 05-17-2011, 09:05 PM
taddyangle is on a distinguished road
I have satellite and will soon cancel. I am satisfied with my iPod that l leave in glove box. I like listening to comedy and I am hearing repeats, but my biggest issue is with coverage. I lose coverage when I go under every overpass. Seems to happen 3-4 times on my 10 mile commute. When I go on road trips it happens as well. Just not worth it to me.

Last edited by taddyangle; 05-17-2011 at 09:07 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:09 PM
http is on a distinguished road
I cancelled XM for the same reason.
Now if you live in a busy city and need traffic updates for alternative routes ,you are better of waiting.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:37 PM
slw23 is on a distinguished road
I personally have never understood the need or desire of satellite radio. I'm fine with standard radio and listen to the iPod 95% of the time. However, the weather and traffic features sound cool, though I doubt I'd get much use out of them. Isn't there an aftermarket solution for satellite radio if you really want it?

As far as the reversing camera, I didn't get it on my build and kind of wished I had. I fine without it now, but the difference in cost assuming u optioned it a la carte is only $600 or so IIRC, it's def a nice to have IMO.

I wouldn't pass on your current build unless you feel you'll really have buyers remorse.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:05 PM
Good info from everyone thus far. I like the Sat Radio in my current car but also use the iPod feature on the iPhone a lot. I think I can do without it (or run Sat Radio off of the iPhone, I suppose).

The rear cam would be nice to have but I am sure that I will survive without it!

I already sold my DD when I thought I was going to get a new X5 Turbodiesel but when I ditched that to get the Cayenne, I am without a DD until August and don't want to be without one until Oct/Nov. Having fun driving my Boxster S on a daily basis in the interim, but doesn't work with clients, kids, etc!

Old 05-17-2011, 10:24 PM
sid_vicious is an unknown quantity at this point
I got the parking sensors without the backup camera(sensors came in the prem pack that I ordered) and I have no problems. We live in San Francisco with lots of parallel parking and between the sensors and a little common sense we have no problems. Mind you I've never had the backup camera so maybe I don't know what I'm missing, but I have no real issues maneuvering the car.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:38 PM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
Both are nice to have but I would not lose sleep over either of those two options. Yes the satellite radio is good to have in my case as my daughters listen to disney radio all the time and I love sports radio. But don't worry too much.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:45 PM
Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
Both are nice to have but I would not lose sleep over either of those two options. Yes the satellite radio is good to have in my case as my daughters listen to disney radio all the time and I love sports radio. But don't worry too much.
I was just reading your lengthy and fantastic option post. You have made we wish I did a few other things...but none of them major so I am going to press on with my order.

If I were to start over?
Probably add the cam, may not add the XM, would consider the insulated glass and maybe even the model delete---your rear shots are fantastic.

Mine will be basic Black and your pics are making me more and more excited about getting mine!

Old 05-17-2011, 10:47 PM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
My thread has been helpful to some of the members and that was the intent behind it. I spent quite a bit of time and effort on it as you can see but it is certainly worth it IMO. Glad you are enjoying it.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:18 PM
Psalm40 will become famous soon enoughPsalm40 will become famous soon enough
I have cancelled the satellite radio on all of MY cars (but my wife does like it on hers), and I can't seem to learn to look down at the center stack to go in reverse...I just don't trust it somehow...you should be fine!

Old 05-18-2011, 06:03 AM
WFBlue is on a distinguished road
All of my recent vehicles have had satellite and I would never own a car without it. I agree that an Ipod solves some of your music needs, but I like to listen to the variety of music that satellite provides; I like to sample different types of music which I might not necessarily download/own. Frankly, I can get bored with my music library even though it is quite large. When you add to that comedy channels, sports, and news (high priority for me) and of course Howard, you can't beat it IMO. Traffic and weather is also a bonus.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:39 AM
Jace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of light
Keep your curren build. Those two options are nice and I'm glad I have them, but for you to regret not having them or pass on current build over them, don't.
You'll be fine.

Old 05-18-2011, 11:37 AM
PaulW is on a distinguished road
I had the back up camera on my Grand Cherokee SRT8 and I would always look over my shoulder to back up and never really looked at the screen (just couldn't get used to looking at a screen while in motion). It might be important if you have little kids or a back or neck problem that doesn't allow you to look over your shoulder, though. My wife has the back up camera in her Volvo but I don't think she relies on it much either.

I also have XM/Sirius in all of my cars but I get tired of the repetition sometimes too. In the NY metro area its good for the traffic and weather but I would not miss it too much if it was eliminated. Plus you can add it afterwards if you miss it.

Old 05-18-2011, 01:13 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
I think Sirius/XM is great, but I live in the mountains and I can't get regular AM or FM stations reliably. For me, satellite radio is a must have option. When I lived in Indiana, I didn't miss it.

The back up camera is nice, but certainly not necessary. The parking sensors work very well.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:45 PM
stevepsd is on a distinguished road
I have both on my GTS

I love satellite radio, I have it in two other vehicles as well. Been a listener for 4 years. I use my MP3 player, not for music, but for NPR talk shows like Click 'n Clack, and Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me and others.

The backup camera is nice, but not really necessary...