Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Brake Controller for 7-pin trailering

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 11:41 PM
gr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to all
Brake Controller for 7-pin trailering

Has anybody installed a brake controller on a Cayenne?

Perhaps more importantly, does the Cayenne Turbo with a factory hitch already have some additional controller for managing the electric brakes on a trailer?

I found the 7-pin connector (hidden behind the 4-plud adapter) but I am (a) wary of adding anything to my CT's electrical system and (b) I don't know that it's needed.

A call to PCNA yielded nothing: No Expertise or Guidance there.

A visit to my local dealer revealed the 7-pin trailer connector.

A call to the trailer manufacturer resulted in adding a brake controller is not neccessary but advised.

The trailer salesman recommended adding a brake controller inside my ****pit.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:17 PM
mto
mto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud of
You need an electric brake controller for the electric brakes. I have a Prodigy P2 under my dash and it works very well.

Last edited by mto; 06-06-2011 at 05:47 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:27 PM
speedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud of
modern trucks are normally plug-n-play for brake controllers. look under your dash under steering wheel for a connector.

http://www.etrailer.com/bc-2010_Pors...+factory+7-Way

Old 06-06-2011, 05:34 PM
mto
mto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by speedoflight
modern trucks are normally plug-n-play for brake controllers. look under your dash under steering wheel for a connector.

http://www.etrailer.com/bc-2010_Pors...+factory+7-Way
Correct, the connector for the Cayenne is far left corner under the dash. As I recall, mine was covered with white insulation.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:40 PM
gr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to all
Thanks!

Should the dealership or my local independent shop with a more experienced technician do this installation? And which of the Prodigy models would be best (safety IS important) for full time towing on a 2005 Cayenne Turbo?

Old 06-06-2011, 05:46 PM
mto
Originally Posted by gr8ful
Thanks!

Should the dealership or my local independent shop with a more experienced technician do this installation? And which of the Prodigy models would be best (safety IS important) for full time towing on a 2005 Cayenne Turbo?
You want someone that has install these on Cayenne's/VW Touareg's . Dealers usually do not know. Also a reputable trailer company. They need to test it for proper setting and provide you hands on how to use it.

No affiliation, I got this one for these guys. http://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Contro...sha/90885.html I too wanted the safest one.

Last edited by mto; 06-06-2011 at 05:49 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:56 PM
speedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud of
i have the P3 model. it's really easy to do this yourself if you rtfm.
but as mto said, find a reputable trailer company. they will probably ask you to bring your trailer too to set the boost properly and pretty much look over your entire setup.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:04 PM
Thumbs up

I'm a bit off the beaten road. There may not be anyone in Anchorage who has done one of these . . .

A few phone calls later . . .

TrailerCraft can install it; they don't carry that line but reccomend I get it for the Cayenne.

Advice much appreciated

Old 06-07-2011, 07:03 AM
As I look at and under that nice clean dash, I wonder where & how to mount the brake controller to avoid banging my knees and have good accesss to the controls???

The P3 looks like the better controller, the latest version. Trailer Craft here in town are the experts. While they don't sell this model, they recommend it for a Cayenne and will install it for me.