Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

HELP! Air suspension faulty - workshop

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 08:41 AM
jrblackbox is on a distinguished road
HELP! Air suspension faulty - workshop

Finally got a Cayenne S 04, brought it home yesterday. So I am showing my wife the air suspension when the "air suspension faulty - workshop" code pops up. I had just raised it to the max. It would not lower, took it for a short ride and I believe it still did not lower back to normal. Parked it in disgust.
This morning I started it and the "service" message was on the display. I was able to lower the car. the air susp faulty message has not come back. There is 22 mph message on the display though that has not gone away.
When I initially raised the car the rearend was higher than the front it was not on level ground, the way it was parked, could that have had something to do with it?
First post with new vehicle (to me) should be one with pics not this type!

Old 06-11-2011, 09:59 AM
pakundo is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jrblackbox
Finally got a Cayenne S 04, brought it home yesterday. So I am showing my wife the air suspension when the "air suspension faulty - workshop" code pops up. I had just raised it to the max. It would not lower, took it for a short ride and I believe it still did not lower back to normal. Parked it in disgust.
This morning I started it and the "service" message was on the display. I was able to lower the car. the air susp faulty message has not come back. There is 22 mph message on the display though that has not gone away.
When I initially raised the car the rearend was higher than the front it was not on level ground, the way it was parked, could that have had something to do with it?
First post with new vehicle (to me) should be one with pics not this type!

check linkage/sensor for the suspension ..(frt is easy to check....bout the rear its either you put it on the lift/ramp..or remove wheel/s....hope that thats the only issue...

for the 22mph(limit) message....go to the menu button and turn it off..

Old 06-13-2011, 04:58 AM
Cole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really nice
04 had a compressor piston ring that would wear out. VW makes a kit to update it. Same as the Touareg.

Very simple fix.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:32 AM
jrblackbox is on a distinguished road
piston ring

Originally Posted by Cole
04 had a compressor piston ring that would wear out. VW makes a kit to update it. Same as the Touareg.

Very simple fix.

Thanks for your response, is there a way to test it to see if that is the issue?

The "suspension faulty" message has not come back on yet. I do have a "Service now" message upon starting.

Thanks

Old 06-14-2011, 09:54 AM
twilight is on a distinguished road
My light came on while driving in the mountains of Colorado - has not come back on since returning to sea level. Googled the fault and ran accross others that had the same issue at altitude. First find was scary: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-workshop.html

Then this find:
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...ion-fault.html

Hope it is due to the altitude & temperature (you have been having some hot days out east!) - if not the recommndation to go to VW for the rebuild kit (that is pretty simple) sound spot on....

Old 06-14-2011, 11:03 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
My Cayenne began to display this message after about 50K miles. It happened more frequently when driving through elevation changes of more than 1,000 feet. This happens frequently - I live at roughly 8,000 feet and I drive down to Denver on a regular basis.

I had the air compressor update kit installed and it solved my problem. This kit is relatively inexpensive and it includes a new piston ring. I have heard that it's and easy DIY, but I had my indy install it when the Cayenne was in for an oil change.

What happens is that the original piston ring fails to seal properly, and it takes an extraordinarily long time for the suspension to raise to the proper level. This delay triggers the warning message. The new piston ring allows the air pump to function properly. Once I had this update done, it solved my problem.

Good luck.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:45 PM
bowner is on a distinguished road
Hi all new to this site.l would like to share an interesting problem that I had with my air suspension recently,I have a 2004 cayenne turbo that started showing warning air suspension in red on the dash,did all the checks had it plugged in and read, said low voltage changed battery still had the same problem,started tawling the forums posts steered me to the air compressor bought a recon kit still the same problem.After lots of head scratching and armed with a volt meter checked the voltage at the control unit for the air suspension in the boot only had 6.7 volts should be 12.Problem found turns out it is a water leak coming in on the drivers side soaking the wiring loom which had caused damage to the main power to the control unit.Course of action remove carpet,repair wiring loom,seal leak,dry out carpets,reassemble Fantastic everything works no warning lights hope this helps someone

Old 10-09-2012, 06:10 PM
VIPNiSS is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by bowner
Hi all new to this site.l would like to share an interesting problem that I had with my air suspension recently,I have a 2004 cayenne turbo that started showing warning air suspension in red on the dash,did all the checks had it plugged in and read, said low voltage changed battery still had the same problem,started tawling the forums posts steered me to the air compressor bought a recon kit still the same problem.After lots of head scratching and armed with a volt meter checked the voltage at the control unit for the air suspension in the boot only had 6.7 volts should be 12.Problem found turns out it is a water leak coming in on the drivers side soaking the wiring loom which had caused damage to the main power to the control unit.Course of action remove carpet,repair wiring loom,seal leak,dry out carpets,reassemble Fantastic everything works no warning lights hope this helps someone

glad you fixed it on your own.. i always love hearing owners find the solution instead of going to the stealership.. another reason why I love the forum community.