Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Choices 2011 Cayenne, Land Rover, or Mercedes G55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 06:45 PM
RDKJ is on a distinguished road
Choices 2011 Cayenne, Land Rover, or Mercedes G55

I realize that I am asking this in a Cayenne forum and the answers may be a bit biased. However, I've owned a 2004 and 2008 Cayenne, both of which I really enjoyed driving. My dilemma is this - I am ready to buy another SUV and can't decide between the 2011 Cayenne turbo, 2011 Range Rover SC w/Autobiography interior, or the Mercedes G55. I've never owned a Range Rover product, hence that may be my last choice. I really like Mercedes products, I currently have a S65 which may be my favorite car of all time to drive - even compared to my Scuderia. Choices, Choices... Which would you buy and why - they are all comparable in price 100-140k.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:41 PM
Big H is on a distinguished road
My strong opinion on all three?

The full size Range Rover styling has been around since 2003 when BMW owned the company. Owned by 3 different companies since and getting slight face lifts with Ford power plants. Extremely unreliable and a bastard.

Mercedes is definitely the most reliable of the group but judging by what you already own and how many that’ll be a non issue. The G-Wagon 460/ 463 Chassis has been around from 1979 to the present. Need I saw more?

The performance of Cayenne Turbo is far superior to the others and utilizing the latest technology. Cayenne would be my choice without hesitation. Drive them all and you’ll understand what I mean.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:04 PM
loveivs is on a distinguished road
My vote to new CTT. You get all new appearance and new technology. You already have the AMG engine, don't you want something different?

Old 07-07-2011, 01:15 AM
mad villain is on a distinguished road
i'd definitely have to go with CTT. personally i've never been a fan of the G-Class and i've heard the Range Rover is ridiculously unreliable and some of the interior parts have a very cheap feeling to them (which to me is unacceptable for the price you pay for these vehicles)

when i was looking for a new SUV....my 2 choices were the cayenne or the X5. if i were in your situation i would be looking at a CTT or an X5M. only reason i didn't get an X5M was because my previous car was an X5 and i wanted a change. definitely haven't regretted my decision at all since i made it! the Cayenne is an amazing SUV!

Old 07-07-2011, 08:09 AM
Jace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of light
Merc is nice but not Bice enough for me.

RR 2010, own and it's a great car but more or family, not for me. Just last week 6400 miles cracked water pump and a few other residual electronic bugs. They are poblematic. I'd say stay away honestly. Nice ride and feel but reliability, well, just isn't where it should be. I drive it a few times a week and on longer trips and it's great ONLY if I didn't always have to worry about something happening....

My 2011 CTT, check
Options from precious post, but it's amazing in every category. Fit and feel, acceleration, new tech, it's all good. Smaller than the other two but perfect for what "I" like to drive.

CTT is my vote.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:30 AM
Sleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Big H
My strong opinion on all three?

The full size Range Rover styling has been around since 2003 when BMW owned the company. Owned by 3 different companies since and getting slight face lifts with Ford power plants. Extremely unreliable and a bastard.

Mercedes is definitely the most reliable of the group but judging by what you already own and how many that’ll be a non issue. The G-Wagon 460/ 463 Chassis has been around from 1979 to the present. Need I saw more?

The performance of Cayenne Turbo is far superior to the others and utilizing the latest technology. Cayenne would be my choice without hesitation. Drive them all and you’ll understand what I mean.

G wagon reliable ? When you say reliable I am guessing you mean it will start 9 out of 10 times but thats about it. I owned a G500 for two years and that car was in the shop every 3-4 months. Make sure your purchasing one with warranty oh and expect the rear passenger doors to either not shut or be able to open pretty often and same with the rear hatch. It has something to do with the chasis being too rigid. Sexy SUV though just a pain in the A$$ to maintain.
The Range Rover is a great truck but just terribly boring to drive. I have had no issues with my 07 HSE knock on wood but I hear horror stories from other owners.Oh and the brakes suck unless you get a supercharged model with the Brembos other wise the brakes feel super soft and will prolly drive you nuts coming from a porsche.
Lastly the Cayenne S, the only issue I had was the rear wiper blade cap falling off at car washes and I beat on that truck even did some off roading and no complaints oh and the A/C made weird noises but they probably fixed that on the new ones im sure.

Last edited by Sleepy996; 07-07-2011 at 08:36 AM.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:56 AM
twist-a-grip will become famous soon enoughtwist-a-grip will become famous soon enough
RRSC should be overlooked for the previously mentioned reliability issues and the fact that a complete redesign should be out within a year or so - which means a big depr hit if you bought a 2011-12, which isn't good on these in the first place.

If you need a DD then get the CTT - it is much nicer to drive than the G. Most people buy the CTT because they need the space, performance and luxury all in one car, but you have these needs covered with your other cars. With your stable, I would get the G for it's exclusivity and fun factor - it sounds and drives like nothing else in the category. Only complaint is the interior is not a nice as the RR or CTT. Plus, AMG is not making a 2012 G55 and rumor has it that the 2013 G55 will have the new 5.5TT with more power and a 7 spd tranny.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:13 PM
pcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the rough
I personally dislike the new Cayenne compare to the previous models (both original & face-lifted versions). So my vote goes to MB G55.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:26 PM
x014003 is on a distinguished road
Prior to my 2006 CS titanium, I owned a 2004 MB G500. Loved the look, the ruggedness, etc. Hated the fact that it was in the shop for one reason or another 3, 4 times a year. Transfer case control module failed on me while backing out of a parking spot, went into neutral and wouldn't go. Was able to get it moving again, cost to repair was $1500+, thankfully 2 days left on CPO warranty.

Driving the Cayenne is MUCH more enjoyable than the G wagon. The G was a truck through and through, the Cayenne is more like an elevated sports car.

That being said, I too am not fond of the look of the new Cayenne. Love the classic looks of the Range Rover, but don't trust them as far as reliability. Of your three choices, I'd go for the G55.