Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Moroso catch can

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 08:05 AM
the head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the rough
Moroso catch can

I've had this in for several weeks to see if it would catch anything. If you've ever popped the driver's side inlet hose off the turbo you've probably had oil come spilling out of it. I decided to give this a try and see what happens. Bear with the install pics as it was done as cheaply as possible - I plan on bending some tubing and getting better fittings soon. The oil captured is roughly 900 miles worth of driving. It amounts to about 3 teaspoons along with whatever it took to 'wet' the system, but at least I know it's not getting dumped back into the intake tract.

Attached Images    
Old 08-06-2011, 07:52 PM
zzzx is on a distinguished road
nice!
how do you like the IPD plenum? big difference?

Old 08-07-2011, 08:15 AM
the head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the rough
It wasn't particularly noticeable. When I was keeping track of mileage it was worth about 1/2mpg. It did smooth out some throttle tip-in but that was about it.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:55 AM
zzzx is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the info
So in terms fuel efficiency, it still worth it I guess. Lol

Old 11-01-2011, 02:15 PM
03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry to dig this up, but I am installing my own catch can after seeing all the oil in the driver side intake and lower intercooler hose. I am doing mine a bit different though. The center port off the manifold only breathes while idling, any pressure seen and it closes (1 way check valve).. Same for the turbo inlet side...which in most cases would never see pressure, unless you had a stuck closed diverter valve that forces air out of the turbo inlet. Otherwise, it's always pulling a vacuum through the turbo inlet, at idle, engine speed and boost. I think that the idle air control is operated at the throttle body, it must bypass air there. Either way it comes from metered air through the turbochargers and capping this shouldn't cause any additional crank case pressure. So I'm going to cap the center port on the manifold and hose clamp it.

I am running a hose 3/4" ID from the driver side turbo near the inlet side (a factory plastic tube used to be there) to one side of my catch can. Another hose will run from the driver side valve cover to the other side of the catch can. This should take care of the crank case evac system. If this sounds easy...IT WASN'T, in fact it was a huge pain the *** to do it right.

Now, here's some other issues that I have to address while doing this project. The hose for the boost solenoid dumps into the factory plastic tube that goes to the turbo inlet...not a big deal, I can just run it to catch can if I have too, but first I'm going to try and put in a MBC. I wanna see if it throws a CEL, if not then I'll keep it in there.

Now here's the wacky part. There's a hose that comes off the port of the manifold, same spot where it pulls vacuum from the crank case....It's the smaller hose that comes off the left side (the bigger crank case hose comes of the right side or driver side). This hose goes around the left side of the throttle body, under it, into a T rubber fitting and then dumps into the same plastic tube for the crank case evac hose. There is NO check valve either on this hose! Not kidding, so basically when idling, it pulls air from crank case plastic hose, when boosting...it pressurizes the system forcing air back into the crank case hose, it doesn't pressurize the crankcase because of the one-way check valves, but still blows boost back into the turbo inlet. I literally looked at this and looked at it some more...It blew my mind figuring out why this would be there!? I could possibly understand, why it MIGHT be there for idle, usually the IACV takes care of this though, but to bleed off pressurized air from the manifold is WEIRD. I reconnected the hose to the sensor that sits next to the driver side fuel rail, should be fine.

Sorry for the long post, but if anyone is considering doing it all the way...there's a few things to think about

Last edited by 03EvoIII; 11-01-2011 at 02:21 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:20 PM
snzuloz is on a distinguished road
Interesting observations, Pictures would be great addition to fully understand the ports you are referring too.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:57 AM
03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute
Ok finished it up last night and drove it this morning. Every thing seems good, no CEL's!
there really shouldn't be any CEL's, nothing there to really mess up anyways. lol. I'll upload some pics soon.

Old 12-03-2012, 04:05 PM
VIPNiSS is on a distinguished road
I am interested in doing this. Does anyone know what hoses and how to route and install the catch can?

Old 12-03-2012, 04:47 PM
B3nz0 is on a distinguished road
I am interested as well, I was thinking about a saikou michi can, as I was told it was best. Any advice?

Old 12-04-2012, 10:27 AM
that's the catch can I wanted to use too. Just make sure you get the right diameter of inlet and outlet tubes. It will make your installation easier. I ended up taking my Moroso catch can out because of my intercooler pipes/intake configuration. In place of the catch can, I just put a K&N Breather on the top port of engine and capped the inlet at the driver side turbo inlet. And besides the moroso can sucks (or the one I had atleast) because it was not baffled the way the higher-end units are.

Last edited by 03EvoIII; 12-04-2012 at 10:29 AM.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:48 PM
hahnmgh63 is on a distinguished road
I used a 034 Motorsports catch can with 1" inlet/outlets.

That is the same size you are plumbing from so no reducers to inhibit flow. The 034 can does have a spiral inlet flow but I did stuff some Stainless Steel Brillow pad media down inside it to give a little more material for oil/moisture to condense on.