Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Dension GW500 installation issues - need help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 08:14 PM
MTRX is on a distinguished road
Dension GW500 installation issues - need help

Today I was trying to install my new GW500 on my Cayenne S with Navigation and CDC.

It looks like something is wrong with my GW unit. I did a lot of troubleshooting today and confirming that when unit is set as “SERVICE MODE” (switch) CD changer works fine and the entire system works as well, however when you switch from SERVICE MODE back to GW mode I get an error on the screen of my PCM telling me that Amplifier is not available. Also, when you GW mode there is no light in the fiber line which is outputing back to CDC, however once you place switch back to SERVICE MODE you get light instantly…

I even tried the reset button on the accessory that has a switch for service. But nothing helps.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:57 AM
ChkbookMechanic is on a distinguished road
These might be some basic questions, but it always helps to start at the beginning...

How did you run the MOST wires? From what you are describing it sounds like you haven't connected them the right. When the unit is set to 'SERVICE MODE' the GW basically disables itself. Did you set the DIP switches on the GW500 correctly?

Old 06-04-2009, 12:57 PM
MTRX is on a distinguished road
I actually just figured it out. I used a wrong MOST cable. There are apparently 2 on the back. One that goes into your AMP, which is the visible one and easy to get to and one that is behind your CDC.. I didn't realize that there is one on the back of CDC, so instead of removing all the panels I actually was able to stick my hand in there and disconnect that MOST cable from the back of CDC and connect a different cable. It was challenging as there was no space to maneuver but after few tries I was able to plug that MOST cable back in

Old 09-24-2017, 02:25 AM
clam1030 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi All, it has been about 3-4 months since I installed the Dension Gateway 500S BT on my 2006 Cayenne S with PCMI and 6-cd changer. Installation went through without a hitch and I've had 3-4 months of no issues.

Today, I started experiencing an odd issue: The system seems to reset at random - music playback stops as the bluetooth disconnect for a moment and resumes playing again. This happens with AUX plug-in as well. I then switched to standard FM radio and even that stops. Every time the music stops (whether it's BT/AUX/FM-radio) I hear the head unit trying to load a CD then I'm met with an error screen saying "CD Changer cannot be found".

Any ideas?

Old 09-25-2017, 05:23 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by clam1030
Hi All, it has been about 3-4 months since I installed the Dension Gateway 500S BT on my 2006 Cayenne S with PCMI and 6-cd changer. Installation went through without a hitch and I've had 3-4 months of no issues.

Today, I started experiencing an odd issue: The system seems to reset at random - music playback stops as the bluetooth disconnect for a moment and resumes playing again. This happens with AUX plug-in as well. I then switched to standard FM radio and even that stops. Every time the music stops (whether it's BT/AUX/FM-radio) I hear the head unit trying to load a CD then I'm met with an error screen saying "CD Changer cannot be found".

Any ideas?
Take the Dension out of the circuit and see if it still does it. If it does it points to one of the original components acting up.

Old 09-25-2017, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the advice in helping to diagnose here. I turned "bypass" off on the Dension to try this - I assume this is equivalent of taking it out of the circuit. When that happens, I get no audio at all.

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Take the Dension out of the circuit and see if it still does it. If it does it points to one of the original components acting up.

Old 09-25-2017, 07:07 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by clam1030
Thanks for the advice in helping to diagnose here. I turned "bypass" off on the Dension to try this - I assume this is equivalent of taking it out of the circuit. When that happens, I get no audio at all.
No - that's not exactly the same. The MOST buss still has to pass through the in/out coupler in the Dension. If the coupler has a problem - it could account for the symptoms you're seeing.

The trick to troubleshooting is to isolate where the problem is - to do that - put the system back to factory configuration and see if the problem still occurs. If it does - then it's one of the components in the factory system. If not - then it's the Dension. The fact that it's resetting even on FM makes me suspicious that it's the radio itself or one of the amplifiers. The radio has been known to cause intermittent problems like this that eventually become full-time problems, but without isolating it to at least factory/vs/modified - it's all guesswork.

Old 09-25-2017, 10:05 PM
Thanks for taking the time out to give the background on the lesson to be had. Part of me is having the debate to replace the entire head unit with a Pioneer and aftermarket amp (JL Audio or something else). After posting to this thread I did a bunch of searching and I'm highly considering that now unless I can get this Dension to work again - only issue is it looks to be a $2k project.

Originally Posted by deilenberger
No - that's not exactly the same. The MOST buss still has to pass through the in/out coupler in the Dension. If the coupler has a problem - it could account for the symptoms you're seeing.

The trick to troubleshooting is to isolate where the problem is - to do that - put the system back to factory configuration and see if the problem still occurs. If it does - then it's one of the components in the factory system. If not - then it's the Dension. The fact that it's resetting even on FM makes me suspicious that it's the radio itself or one of the amplifiers. The radio has been known to cause intermittent problems like this that eventually become full-time problems, but without isolating it to at least factory/vs/modified - it's all guesswork.

Old 09-28-2017, 06:15 AM
Juanna Knowtrooth is on a distinguished road
Could always try an EBay android head unit...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Android-7-1-...5Ziu9P&vxp=mtr

They have come down in price quite a bit. I haven't actually had any experience with one, but would be interested if anyone has

Old 10-16-2017, 12:12 AM
Issue Resolved!

Hi All,

First of all...huge shoutout to Eric @ BumperPlugs.com. I have never gotten such great service from a retailer before. As soon as my issues surfaced, he worked with me pretty much every other day for 2 weeks to resolve it. After getting a replacement unit sent out to me...an official notice from Dension was put out identifying iOS 11 being the culprit for the issue.

As Eric identified in his thread (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...sbt-issue.html) it just requires the user to decline/reject phonebook syncing. That solved everything!