Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Should I trade my CTTS for a Ford Raptor?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 10:07 PM
Boostin will become famous soon enough
Should I trade my CTTS for a Ford Raptor?

Title says it all...would love to hear everyone's thoughts. Thinking about trading my '06 CTTS for a new Ford Raptor. Not that I don't love the CTTS but thinking I have a 996TT to go have fun on-road with so might as well as have something to do the same off-road. Primary use of the Cayenne is running around town, towing the car to the track and trips to Tahoe in the winter. Another thought is if I went with the Raptor I could just throw the sled in the back rather than having to schlep around a trailer.

Let's hear it! I think I know which way this will go but let's see...

Old 09-05-2011, 10:19 PM
No.92 is just really niceNo.92 is just really niceNo.92 is just really niceNo.92 is just really nice
I was going to say you're crazy, but then you said you had a 996TT and that made it more acceptable. So, sure why not? But what would be even better is a 2012 CTT.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:44 AM
Cole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really nice
Putting a sled in the back of the truck is more work than hooking up a trailer, especially a tall truck.

I think you would be amazed at how poorly a half ton truck tows after towing with the Cayenne. Especially a half ton with off road shocks and tires.

I think the bling of the new truck would wear off pretty quick and you would miss the CTTs.

Old 09-06-2011, 01:40 PM
es201nj is on a distinguished road
The Raptor is a sweet truck. I have a friend with the supercrew one and loves it etc.... BUT I don't think comparing the Raptor to a Cayenne is quite fair. You definitely have to test drive the Raptor, it's not for everyone. Even if you owned other pickups before.

Old 09-06-2011, 02:08 PM
handdoc will become famous soon enough
i just got a raptor SCrew, love it, my first pickup, what an awesome truck

Old 09-06-2011, 03:54 PM
Gian124 is on a distinguished road
There are few factory vehicles on earth which can do what the Raptor was designed for. It is a very purpose-built machine, and accomplishes its goal with efficacy & efficiency. Keep in mind, the interior is very Ford. If you spend much of your time focused on the ergonomics & comfort of a daily driving experience... it is unfair to compare the CTTS to the Raptor.

For me, it would come down to only one question:
"Do I primarily drive in events, situations, and circumstances that require the use of a full travel suspension?"
- if so, then unquestionably the Raptor meets the purpose flawlessly
- if not, then I have to compare both vehicles on many different levels

I would love to have a Raptor as a 3rd vehicle to go off-roading in... however I don't do that often enough to justify picking one up. Very, very sweet truck though!

Old 09-06-2011, 07:09 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
Funny that this thread came up... I'm considering a Ford truck for a different reason. Our Cayenne S with proper snow tires is a beast in the winter. It's great. My Carrera 4S with proper winter tires is great in the winter if there's less than 4 inches of snow on the ground, but where I live that's often a problem. I'm thinking of buying a Ford truck for my winter "beater" vehicle, and to take offroad for fishing and/or hunting trips. The Raptor is nice, but way too much truck for me. I'm thinking of something like an XLT or an FX4...

Old 09-06-2011, 11:44 PM
kw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud of
No!! Don't do it, I think the Raptor is a great truck, but can't replace a Cayenne.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:47 AM
Platinum Sponsor
WHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond repute
We have a 2011 SuperCharged Raptor Crew Cab, with headers/Full exhaust. Truck made 496RWHP. Its a rocket. We tow a 36Ft Center Console with Triples on it. Its a great tower with built in trailer brake controls. We are very happy with the Raptor, fully capable of running around town, going off the beaten path and hauling crap. The interior is very nice, with the SYNC touch screen Nav unit is the most impressive system I have ever used. It has all the creature comforts you would find in a luxury ride. ( we have owned a bunch of crazy things from X5M's to TT Gallardos and the list goes on)
I think for what you want it for it will serve its purpose to a T.

Do it.

1.866.519.4335 ext 2103
Web: www.wheelsboutique.com
Email: Jonathan@wheelsboutique.com

#1 HRE Dealer Worldwide / DPE Wheels / Vertini / Work Wheels / D2 Forged / TechArt / Novitec / Brabus / Carlsson / AC Schnitzer / Mansory / Kooks / Corsa / RENNTech / WALD / Milltek / Tubi / Champion Motorsports / AWE / RSS / BBS / Brembo / Hamman / Eisenmann / KW / H&R / Nitto / Pirelli / Michelin / Dunlop / Goodyear / Falken / Continental and tons more....
Old 09-07-2011, 01:37 PM
Cole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really nice
Originally Posted by WHEELSJ
. Its a great tower with built in trailer brake controls.

Just curious how many mountain passes, high elevation and curvy mountian roads you tow on?

Old 09-07-2011, 01:47 PM
Platinum Sponsor
WHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Cole
Just curious how many mountain passes, high elevation and curvy mountian roads you tow on?

HA, mountains.. we live in Florida.
but the boat does weight just shy of 10k pounds. And driving here in South Florida is precarious. Half the people driving cars in Miami last week were driving Donkey's and Mules.

1.866.519.4335 ext 2103
Web: www.wheelsboutique.com
Email: Jonathan@wheelsboutique.com

#1 HRE Dealer Worldwide / DPE Wheels / Vertini / Work Wheels / D2 Forged / TechArt / Novitec / Brabus / Carlsson / AC Schnitzer / Mansory / Kooks / Corsa / RENNTech / WALD / Milltek / Tubi / Champion Motorsports / AWE / RSS / BBS / Brembo / Hamman / Eisenmann / KW / H&R / Nitto / Pirelli / Michelin / Dunlop / Goodyear / Falken / Continental and tons more....
Old 09-09-2011, 12:57 PM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gian124
For me, it would come down to only one question:
"Do I primarily drive in events, situations, and circumstances that require the use of a full travel suspension?"
- if so, then unquestionably the Raptor meets the purpose flawlessly
- if not, then I have to compare both vehicles on many different levels

I would love to have a Raptor as a 3rd vehicle to go off-roading in... however I don't do that often enough to justify picking one up. Very, very sweet truck though!

This was my perspective too. I was originally going to pick up a SCrew Raptor back in January, before I decided on the Cayenne Turbo.

I am talking about serious consideration and almost started ordering mods based on an anticipated Raptor order.

After joining both forums and educating myself, I switched to the Cayenne for several reasons:

1) The SCrew as I wanted it configured was going to run me about $54K with options w/ a 3 month special order wait. Close to $60K for a Ford 1/2 ton truck is definitely alot (Even if it is awesome). I didnt spend too much more for my 08 CTT.

2)

(a) The trucks are new, so there is no way to project the depreciation trajectory. The best reference I could find was from Ford's last SVT truck - the Ford Lighting. After tracking down MSRP, etc, it came out to a about a 30 - 40% depreciation in 3 years. I know that the Cayenne isn't immune to such depreciation curves, however, at the end of the day it is still a Porsche.

(b) Additionally since it is a brand new model, Ford has had no time to work out the bugs. They will however once they are in the hands of the masses. This is why the first year runs of a new model typically have more issues than subsequent years. Using this logic, I try to always buy cars in the middle or end of the circulation run. They typically have the most "upgrades" and are more desirable b/c of that.

Ford hasn't had time yet to revise that platform. I would expect for them to address the "bump stop" issue that was recently bending frames when driving in extreme conditions.

3) The last straw that broke my spirits on the Raptor, was watching new owners take delivery of their Raptor from their Michigan plant. There are pictures posted online of members receiving their Raptor only 11 days after the build date showing off the massive Fox shocks in the rear.

The keen eye would pick up the smallest amount of oxidation (surface rust) right on the chassis. My minds-eye extrapolated that out over the course of the loan, and exacerbated by the NE winters, and I saw a rust-bucket waiting to happen.

The Cayenne has a double Galvanized-dipped chassis and all parts are warrantied for 10 years against failing due to rusting.

4) In addition, the towing capacity of the Cayenne Turbo was only 700 lbs shy of the Raptor with the soft suspension. 7300 lbs vs 8000 lbs.

5) Cayenne Turbo has load-leveling air suspension and anti-sway controls built-in for better towing.

6) Cayenne has more torque, HP, and bigger brakes for towing (stock vs stock). Prewired for add-in brake controller.

7) The Raptor's lowest point of ground clearance is 11.2". With air suspension, the Cayenne Turbo is 10.8".

All in all, I decided I would be able to enjoy the Cayenne Turbo more on-road and when towing loads under 4 tons.

I do not regret my decision at all, however, I still wouldn't mind pickup a Raptor in ~3 years once the price drops down to sub-$25K for an awesome winter beater.

Last edited by Renaissance.Man; 09-14-2011 at 09:50 AM.