Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

V8 Warmup time?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 12:21 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
V8 Warmup time?

I'm used to my BMW's - which use a buffered temperature gauge (it reads 12 noon over a wide range of temps) - they usually start showing heat in 3-4 minutes of engine run time.

Now that it gets cold once in a while - it takes my '06 S about 9-10 minutes to get to 180F (where it sits forever at any outside ambient temperature..)

Normal? Or should I have replaced the thermostat when I was doing the coolant pipes (it looked OK - was closed at 80F ambient temps..)

Old 11-24-2011, 10:26 PM
Hal 2000 is just really niceHal 2000 is just really niceHal 2000 is just really niceHal 2000 is just really niceHal 2000 is just really nice
Normal, exact same here Don.

Old 11-25-2011, 09:57 AM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Thanks! Does seem awfully slow to warm up, but again - that's in comparison to BMWs.. which give a false reading (and aside from my M-Coupe, no oil temp display..)

Old 11-26-2011, 10:11 AM
Jace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of light
Best to start-up and immediately drive off. Don't rev high until it reaches 190-200 but don't let it warm up by sitting in the driveway. Warm the temp up ASAP with easy driving to get that oil thinned and covering all parts of engine.

Old 11-26-2011, 01:36 PM
Mine never reaches 190-200.. it sits dead center on 180F no matter what (from freezing to 110F ambients..) Apparently turbos run hotter. And my time to warm was with local reasonable speed driving - probably about 5 miles before it reached temp..

Old 11-26-2011, 05:48 PM
carreracup03 is a jewel in the roughcarreracup03 is a jewel in the roughcarreracup03 is a jewel in the roughcarreracup03 is a jewel in the rough
My turbo sits at 180 as well.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:27 AM
GTS Jay has a spectacular aura aboutGTS Jay has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Jace
Best to start-up and immediately drive off. Don't rev high until it reaches 190-200 but don't let it warm up by sitting in the driveway. Warm the temp up ASAP with easy driving to get that oil thinned and covering all parts of engine.
I understand that this is Porsche's and BMW's recommendation for their newer models but I still don't fully understand the reasoning - especially talking about a vehicle with a dry sump (which I admit I also don't fully understand). Why would it not be good for the engine to let it warm up a bit before driving off - especially when the oil is being pumped and squirted around? I understand that letting it warm doesn't do much to help the transmission, diffs, and transfer case warm up but I feel that if I let the engine warm up a bit before driving and then drive very easy for a while while all the drive train components warm up it would do more good than harm, but again, that "feeling" is not based on depth of knowledge. Anyone in the know care to explain in detail?

Old 11-29-2011, 10:55 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
In metropolitan Denver, letting your car warm up on cold days is called "puffing" and is illegal. You can get a ticket for up to $100 if you are caught letting your car warm up in unattended in your driveway or garage.

I usually just let the car warm up for about 15 seconds after I start it, and then I drive a little more slowly until everything is warmed up. My Cayenne S stays right at 180 degrees once it's warm.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:54 PM
aiyer is on a distinguished road
I do the same as Dennis C. Start the car, wait till the secondary pump shuts off and the car begins to idle normal. This usually takes about 30 secs or so. Have been doing this for all my cars for years.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:15 PM
The thinking behind "drive off" is the engine warms up faster when being used. That lessens the rich mixture the engine sees, reducing emissions, and reducing fuel dillution of the motor oil.

Good/bad? I'm guessing it has very little effect on engine wear/longevity if the correct oil is used and changed regularly.

As far as I know - the Cayenne is more a semi-dry sump (where the oil is in a sump attached to the engine, seperated by a baffle from the crankshaft area..) Much like BMW uses on most of their M engines. It would have no effect I can think of in warmup. A completely seperate "dry sump" - where the engine is in a container not physically part of the engine and block assembly - it might warm up slower since the dry sump has to be warmed up by the oil.. not by heat transfer from the block.

Last edited by deilenberger; 11-29-2011 at 02:18 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:26 PM
GTS Jay has a spectacular aura aboutGTS Jay has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for the insight deilenberger - much appreciated. I didn't realize the Cayenne didn't have a true dry sump. Sounds like I need to put my research hat back on when I get a chance and learn more about my vehicle...

Old 11-30-2011, 04:55 AM
mudman2 is on a distinguished road
I always find warm up slower than I was used to, heated steering wheel and seats make it livable on the cold mornings.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:50 AM
03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute
I start mine and give about 10 seconds or once the initial RPM's come down a bit...then put it in gear and go. I try to keep the RPM's under 2000 until about 160 is reached.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:48 PM
iSaad is on a distinguished road
seems like everyone has their own methods of warming up the engine before you start driving. i agree with 03EvoIII as I start up and wait maybe 30 seconds and then start driving not exceeding 2500 rpms until fully warmed up.. .. here are two other threads from the 911 guys....

997 guys-> https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...e-morning.html

996 guys-> https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...warm-up-2.html

Old 11-30-2011, 05:44 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by iSaad
seems like everyone has their own methods of warming up the engine before you start driving. i agree with 03EvoIII as I start up and wait maybe 30 seconds and then start driving not exceeding 2500 rpms until fully warmed up.. .. here are two other threads from the 911 guys....

997 guys-> https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...e-morning.html

996 guys-> https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...warm-up-2.html
I don't wait too long for the 996. Once I see that the oil pressure is up, I back out of the garage and go. It's usually only about 15 seconds after starting the car. I limit the engine to less than 4,000 RPMs until the temperature gauge reads 180.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: V8 Warmup time?