Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Recommended tool set for 03-06 CTT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 01:06 AM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
Recommended tool set for 03-06 CTT

Can you help and give me your view of what one having a 1st Gen CTT should have in their tool box?
Tool name, maybe sizes, anything that would give a good list of 'good to have' for the DIY people.
This way, I won't have to waste time running to stores when doing work/maintenance.

Help is greatly appreciated.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:32 AM
Cole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really nice
Well, like any Porsche there are some special tools for certain projects. Most of which you will never need.

I've been collection tools for 30 years.

Here is what you will probably really need.

-set of metric sockets with gear drive and hollow centers.(gear wrench or similar)
-set of metric wrenches, may as well get the ratcheting kind too.
-hose clamp wrench is handy for the German cars.
-couple of basic screwdrivers
-set of triple squares to access the drivers seat battery.
-good floor jack and jack stands

-Durametric would be nice, but not really needed. I have the vagcom one for my Audis and it has been handy.

Other than that, not much really. I've done my coolant pipes, both batteries, driveshaft rebuild, control arms, chip, BPVs, headlight painting and polishing, fm modulator, and a bunch if little misc stuff and never used much more than the basic hand tools.

And quite honestly, I've rebuilt my other Porsches with 95% basic hand tool use. There is the occasional special Porsche tool that someone local usually has, a tool I can "rent for free" from the local auto parts store (they all do this), or the random bigger tool like my welder.

Last edited by Cole; 03-20-2012 at 07:34 AM.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:42 AM
Cole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really nice
Here is a perfect example of what I'm talking about.

This picture was from my CTTS control arm install. 99% of the tools used here, as you can see on the floor, we're basic hand tools and a 20year old $20 jack. (and jack stands that is kind hiding behind the jack and brake in this picture)

Granted, in the background there is a compressor and a small pile of special tools, but you don't need any of that. I didn't use it on this project at all.

The only small exception on this project is the "pickle fork" laying on the ground for separating the blo joints. Easy enough to find at any auto parts store if/when you do a job like this.

Also, don't run out and buy $1,000 of tools at the pro shop. Honestly, go to Harbor Freight. Their quality has come up dramatically over the past 10 years, they warranty the stuff and it's s fraction of the price of the name brand stuff. We have bought lots of HF stuff to use as "trail tools" for Rockcrawlers and found that they have some great stuff. (you have a tendency to lose or break stuff repairing a crawler out on the trail)

Old 03-20-2012, 08:22 AM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
I would add to that:

Set of inverted torx bits

Cable-operated hose clamp pliers - for those impossible to reach hose clamps

Old 03-21-2012, 07:18 AM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
So what we got is:

-set of metric sockets with gear drive and hollow centers.(gear wrench or similar)
-set of metric wrenches, may as well get the ratcheting kind too.
-hose clamp wrench is handy for the German cars.
-couple of basic screwdrivers
-set of triple squares to access the drivers seat battery.
-good floor jack and jack stands
-Durametric (nice to have), but not really needed
-inverted torx bit set
-hose clamp pliers (cable operated or otherwise)

any more? I have majority of this stuff, but wanted to see how those who have already worked on the cars view what they found useful. And yes, I do not plan to rush out to get stuff. I tend to acquire as I need, but will be doing some maintenance stuff on the CTT (prevetative care), and wanted some good pointers.

Old 03-31-2012, 12:08 AM
MiniSuperDuke is on a distinguished road
How about recommendation for a manual........Bentleys?

Old 04-01-2012, 08:31 PM
what about torx screwdriver set?
I have been seeing references to it a lot and see a bunch of screws in the car of this kind.

Should they be the kind that has a hole in the middle, or as long as it is the star (witout a hole woul do?).
Also, what renage of torx tools would you recommend for cayenne? Thanks.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:56 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MiniSuperDuke
How about recommendation for a manual........Bentleys?
Let us know if you find one. The only one I've seen is the factory manual illegally copied to PDFs - with faults in it - and it's actually fairly horrible and counts on a factory trained mechanic using it. It's also illegal - but I think I mentioned that.