Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

06 Cayenne PCM screen issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 12:30 PM
Josh_k_84 is on a distinguished road
06 Cayenne PCM screen issues

Hi, as of yesterday I encountered an issue with the PCM in my 06 Cayenne S. It turned on by itself a few times then the screen filled with multicolored lines. Everything works still except the screen is no longer legible. It returns to normal once in a while for a minute or so but that's it. It will also randomly reboot now and then when its been on for over 10 minutes. In July I had the Mobridge Ipod integration unit installed but haven't had any issues, other than the annoying background beeping that some people have mentioned. Has anyone encountered this screen problem before? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Attached Images     
Old 10-28-2012, 03:13 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
I think I see the problem - it's installed upside down so all the electrons that are supposed to fill the bottom of the screen and get pumped back to the top are getting stuck.

Really - it's not hard using almost any photo program to rotate a photo so top is up. And given the problems you have, I think your PCM is kerjunked.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:12 AM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
Before you throw it out or replace, I would take the unit out, disassemble and make sure that all ribbons/wiring is properly installed (reseating it all). It is possible some connections are not making proper contact and you get this result.
Something you can do in about 30 minutes and is worth a try.

Originally Posted by Josh_k_84
Hi, as of yesterday I encountered an issue with the PCM in my 06 Cayenne S. It turned on by itself a few times then the screen filled with multicolored lines. Everything works still except the screen is no longer legible. It returns to normal once in a while for a minute or so but that's it. It will also randomly reboot now and then when its been on for over 10 minutes. In July I had the Mobridge Ipod integration unit installed but haven't had any issues, other than the annoying background beeping that some people have mentioned. Has anyone encountered this screen problem before? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Old 10-29-2012, 02:24 PM
Originally Posted by ciaka
Before you throw it out or replace, I would take the unit out, disassemble and make sure that all ribbons/wiring is properly installed (reseating it all). It is possible some connections are not making proper contact and you get this result.
Something you can do in about 30 minutes and is worth a try.
Thanks for you suggestion, I thought about it and didn't think it would accomplish anything, but now that you've also suggested it I will try it and see.

Old 11-26-2012, 04:31 PM
highlineandy is on a distinguished road
Hey josh I'm experiencing the same issue with my 2005 Cayenne S. What did you do at the end to fix it? Thanks

Old 11-26-2012, 07:29 PM
Originally Posted by highlineandy
Hey josh I'm experiencing the same issue with my 2005 Cayenne S. What did you do at the end to fix it? Thanks
I took the unit to an electronics shop, after a couple days they informed me they believe the problem is with the graphics chip. Unfortunately the chip is not available, as it is programmed at the factory in Germany.

Needless to say I still have the defective screen, the fact that it will shut itself off repeatedly and i cant see it is annoying but spending over $2000 on obsolete technology doesn't make sense. Sorry I couldn't be more of a help.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:57 AM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
I just remembered that some time ago I saw an ebay auction for repair of PCM for cayenne. The email for the guy was e46_m3_2005@hotmail.com. It was someone in Asia (Taiwan I think), who was advertising repairs.
You would have to email and describe issues to get s ball park quote. They also have a web site: www.sune-tech.com
Hope this helps you out.

I took the unit to an electronics shop, after a couple days they informed me they believe the problem is with the graphics chip. Unfortunately the chip is not available, as it is programmed at the factory in Germany.

Needless to say I still have the defective screen, the fact that it will shut itself off repeatedly and i cant see it is annoying but spending over $2000 on obsolete technology doesn't make sense. Sorry I couldn't be more of a help.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:50 AM
kmascotto is on a distinguished road
I don't know if this helps, but I had an issue with my PCM 2.1 (i bricked it -during a software update) I pulled it out and sent it to Becker radio in NY. They fixed it...but I question why they needed to replace some parts...cost was 500.00

Old 11-29-2012, 11:57 AM
...sometimes when you brick a device, it means you try to do software update to a controller (a chip that is inside the unit). Either the update failed or completed, but caused the controller to not function anymore (variety of reasons can cause this, some damaging the controller electrically, some cause the programming in it to break in a way that cannot be reversed).
So I am sure they needed to replace something like this. I am sure the part did not cost $500, but they needed to justify the part order, time to replace (potential soldering, reprogramming, etc). So I am sure they billed you for whatever they could to recoup their money.

Originally Posted by kmascotto
I don't know if this helps, but I had an issue with my PCM 2.1 (i bricked it -during a software update) I pulled it out and sent it to Becker radio in NY. They fixed it...but I question why they needed to replace some parts...cost was 500.00

Old 11-29-2012, 12:07 PM
kmascotto is on a distinguished road
You could be very right and I can't disagree with you, cause I just don't know any better. At the end of the day, I was happy it was fixed.
It now has the latest software...but I don't think my cayenne recognizes it any more (Triangle! across the board) but it still works.

...sometimes when you brick a device, it means you try to do software update to a controller (a chip that is inside the unit). Either the update failed or completed, but caused the controller to not function anymore (variety of reasons can cause this, some damaging the controller electrically, some cause the programming in it to break in a way that cannot be reversed).
So I am sure they needed to replace something like this. I am sure the part did not cost $500, but they needed to justify the part order, time to replace (potential soldering, reprogramming, etc). So I am sure they billed you for whatever they could to recoup their money.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:50 PM
highlineandy is on a distinguished road
I just remembered that some time ago I saw an ebay auction for repair of PCM for cayenne. The email for the guy was e46_m3_2005@hotmail.com. It was someone in Asia (Taiwan I think), who was advertising repairs.
You would have to email and describe issues to get s ball park quote. They also have a web site: www.sune-tech.com
Hope this helps you out.
Thanks for the info @ciaka! I emailed him and sent him a screenshot of my display error. According to him, it needs a LCD replacement. He quoted me $230 shipped, cheaper than anywhere else on the internet. Hopefully it'll fix the problem!

Old 11-29-2012, 02:26 PM
I took a closer look at the screen online, and it does look like the LCD does have a PCB (printed circuit board) behind it, and that is where usually the circuitry and chips are located. It may well be where the graphics chip is located for your display.

If this is a straight display swap, I already took my PCM apart to see how it works, and there is nothing to it.

Here is some additional info:
1. tutorial and info from another 6speedonline member on taking PCM apart - CLICK HERE
Read his symptoms to compare to yours for reference. It has pics of disassembly, and videos of reassembly.

2. ebay auctions for lcd displays - CLICK HERE

The reason I am attaching these is to give you options - DIY, or send away. When I was taking my PCM apart, the most difficult thing is making usre you know which screw goes where, so as long as you can keep this stuff lined up (I used masking take to place screw near to where it will go back), you will be OK. Patience, confidence and time.

Originally Posted by highlineandy
Thanks for the info @ciaka! I emailed him and sent him a screenshot of my display error. According to him, it needs a LCD replacement. He quoted me $230 shipped, cheaper than anywhere else on the internet. Hopefully it'll fix the problem!

Old 03-02-2013, 03:45 AM
mlambio is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Screen distortion

Hey Josh,
had the exactly same issues with my screen as shown in your pictures.
I ordered a replacement LCD from the ebay-dealer recommended by roxboxx in his replacement-tutorial-thread, but to no avail.

I disassembled the PCM again in the Pepper while being turned on to doublecheck the wiring, I realized that the distortion went away when i touched the metal box with the green connector on the right side of this picture:
http://s412.beta.photobucket.com/use...ml?sort=3&o=44

After pushing that box towards the main-PCB and moving it slightly back and forth, it seems to have settled somehow and the distortion is gone.
Will have to see whether it stays this way with all the vibrations going on during driving, but at least it seems to be some connection problem with whatever is in that shielding-box.

I'll keep my old, obviously fully functional LCD for a couple of weeks and if the PCM is still good then, I'll probably just sell it.

Hope this helps those of you having this psychodelic PCM2.1-video show in their peppers

Regards,
Marco