Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Tutorial: How to lower your Cayenne Air Suspension w/ only a Durametric [DIY]

Old 03-21-2013, 10:37 PM
jasonsowers is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ciaka
how does this lowering affect suspension performance though?
Is there a deterioration of performance in either of the modes (comfort, normal, sport)?
Wondering what (if any) are the down sides of doing this.

Thanks.
rides like ****. looks ****.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:27 AM
Stage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Renaissance.Man
Cool! Maybe you can save me $1K+ in the near future. How about those free TIG classes?
Anytime. Give me a call when you get a chance.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:35 AM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
lol, am I to take it as 'rides like hsit. looks ****' phrase (as in negative) then?

Originally Posted by jasonsowers

Old 03-22-2013, 12:31 PM
lol, am I to take it as 'rides like hsit. looks ****' phrase (as in negative) then?
Correct.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:48 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
Really? I would have thought it may have some added rigidity/lower mass for in corner stability but looks like not.

Wow.

Correct.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:09 PM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
Jasonsowners, is your 05 CTT even lowered? I find it hard to believe why fellow members spend up to $3K on a lowering module on their Porsche for it to ride "like ****. looks ****". Come on now. Seriously. Please do not mislead other members.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:13 PM
Cole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really nice
Wink

Screw you guys and your lowering

I'm sure I could tune my lift with the same process.

Attached Images  
Old 03-22-2013, 02:15 PM
So my assumption was that after lower (to a point), an advantage would be seen in handling, even if some concessions would be made in comfort.

Can someone chime in and help provide more detail here?

If handling is degraded, why?
If handling is increased, why?

Lowered center mass of a vehicle is always a desirable thing at the track. Trying to understand here and get some real data as I was starting to consider at least do this DIY to get mine lowered (not to max, but to a decent acceptable level to my liking).

Thanks again.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:17 PM

made my day, especially on a Friday pm.

Originally Posted by Cole

Old 03-22-2013, 02:18 PM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Cole

I'm sure I could tune my lift with the same process.

Do I spy cowboy boots in that pic! By the way- Yes, can raise the suspension using the same method. Just lower the values during the process.

At one point, I decided I was going to do this during the winter for added snow clearance, then lower it back down for Spring. Then I realized that it would be too much work

Old 03-22-2013, 02:20 PM
Cole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really nice
So my assumption was that after lower (to a point), an advantage would be seen in handling, even if some concessions would be made in comfort.

Lowered center mass of a vehicle is always a desirable thing at the track. Trying to understand here and get some real data as I was starting to consider at least do this DIY to get mine lowered (not to max, but to a decent acceptable level to my liking).

Thanks again.

In the simplest terms it's all about the suspensions ability it control the bumps in the road and weight shifts of the vehicle.

Think about a "Radio Flyer" red wagon for a second. They have no suspension at all. So what happens when you try to turn one quickly or pull it up a curb? It tries to fall over and lift a tire of course.

It's possible to lower the car to a point where it actually gets the Radio flyer effect because the suspension can't travel far enough to be effective.

On a vehicle like the Cayenne with air suspension Porsche is able to give you the lowest possible setting they feel is still good for handling. Other cars without an adjustable suspension must compromise between usefulness and handling. Where lower might be great on a track but won't Lear speed bumps.

If I were to lower mine I wouldn't go any lower than the GTS/CTTS factory setting.

Last edited by Cole; 03-22-2013 at 02:23 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:22 PM

Very simple - small degradation in comfort since their is less suspension travel. For me, I viewed this as "tightening" up the suspension since I thought stock was too floaty for my tastes. I contribute the stock CTT ride quality as to why many people contribute the GTS as the sportiest in the Cayenne lineup.

Better handling / less bodyroll / more effective PDCC control since it has lower center of gravity.

You can witness this after I post my upcoming autocross video next month.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:27 PM
Wink

made my day, especially on a Friday pm.

FWIW, same CTT with the summer wheels on.

I'm actually considering selling these and just running the 265/65/18 all year long.

Attached Images  

Last edited by Cole; 04-15-2013 at 02:53 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:42 PM
Saggio is on a distinguished road
Will the Enthusiast kit work?

And Cole- Damnit! You make me to not want to lower my GTS!

Old 03-25-2013, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by Renaissance.Man
Jasonsowners, is your 05 CTT even lowered? I find it hard to believe why fellow members spend up to $3K on a lowering module on their Porsche for it to ride "like ****. looks ****". Come on now. Seriously. Please do not mislead other members.
Yes. Mine is lowered with the Techart ecu. However, I didn't know for sure until today. It came with the truck. So I don't have a stock CTT to base my experience off. I was talking about a lowered tReg. Which I am assuming would be about the same. I can post pics of it sitting on the bumpstops if you would like me to. Here is one.

Attached Images  

Last edited by jasonsowers; 03-31-2013 at 05:12 PM.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Tutorial: How to lower your Cayenne Air Suspension w/ only a Durametric [DIY]