Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Tow Package Wiring

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 07:24 AM
TurboSOnly is just really niceTurboSOnly is just really niceTurboSOnly is just really niceTurboSOnly is just really niceTurboSOnly is just really nice
Tow Package Wiring

Hello, I recently bought an 06 Turbo S that has the tow package which was important to me because I often pull a boat. So I figured with the Tow package it would be ready to go like most tow packages. Hitch is there but where the wiring plugs should be there is a square cover with 4 screws. I figured oh great I have to buy something. I called the local Porsche dealer and the service guy said, oh just take the 4 screws off and everything is there. You will just need one of those round adapters (Which I already own). So I unscrew the 4 screw it is not all there. It looks like I need to add a kit or something. Anyone know what that kit is and where to get it for a good price?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20141026_124351_resized.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	939.7 KB
ID:	406097   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141026_124404_resized.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	753.0 KB
ID:	406098   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141026_124416_resized.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	744.8 KB
ID:	406099  
Old 10-28-2014, 08:06 AM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TurboSOnly
Hello, I recently bought an 06 Turbo S that has the tow package which was important to me because I often pull a boat. So I figured with the Tow package it would be ready to go like most tow packages. Hitch is there but where the wiring plugs should be there is a square cover with 4 screws. I figured oh great I have to buy something. I called the local Porsche dealer and the service guy said, oh just take the 4 screws off and everything is there. You will just need one of those round adapters (Which I already own). So I unscrew the 4 screw it is not all there. It looks like I need to add a kit or something. Anyone know what that kit is and where to get it for a good price?
That cover should release. The only item you should need is the 7-pin trailer coupling shown below. For more information Click Here.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:17 AM
TurboSOnly is just really niceTurboSOnly is just really niceTurboSOnly is just really niceTurboSOnly is just really niceTurboSOnly is just really nice
That is exactly what I was looking for. I ordered it. Thanks for the help!!!

Old 10-28-2014, 01:59 PM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ECS Tuning - Porsche
That cover should release. The only item you should need is the 7-pin trailer coupling shown below.
Yep. This is the Pollak version that I use. Just make sure to put dielectric grease on the pins to prevent them from rusting when not in use.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:26 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Go down to your local trailer shop and they will set you up. Simple really.

Old 12-28-2014, 09:59 AM
That cover should release. The only item you should need is the 7-pin trailer coupling shown below. For more information Click Here.
Ok so I finally had a chance to try the trailer lights because it's in the 80s here. Bad news is there is a problem. Trailer lights flash at all items with a dim flash whether turned on or not. Brake lights work but running lights are a dim flash. This Cayenne has never had the trailer lights used before Which is why I had to buy that part. Btw, I hooked the boat up to my neighbors truck and the trailer lights worked great. Any ideas on what could be wrong. I don't think it was possible to install this part wrong. Could it have to do with not being a porsche part? Thanks for any recommendations.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:25 AM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
Do you have LED trailer lights? If you do, you will need to update the trailer control unit to stop the flashing.

Old 12-30-2014, 02:53 PM
Do you have LED trailer lights? If you do, you will need to update the trailer control unit to stop the flashing.
Thanks for the response. My trailer is an led light trailer on the tail lights. Is that a trailer control unit on the car? If so where is that? This trailer works when I plug it into any other car. Is this because it's an 06 and my other cars are newer? Seems odd. I thought this trailer simply used 12 volts. Any more info on this is greatly appreciated.

Old 12-30-2014, 03:51 PM
Former Vendor
Thanks for the response. My trailer is an led light trailer on the tail lights. Is that a trailer control unit on the car? If so where is that? This trailer works when I plug it into any other car. Is this because it's an 06 and my other cars are newer? Seems odd. I thought this trailer simply used 12 volts. Any more info on this is greatly appreciated.
The trailer control unit is inside the right panel in the cargo area of the Cayenne. It's a small black unit with a Westfalia logo on it. Most of the 955 trailer control units require a software update to properly work with LED trailer lights. In some instances, you will have to purchase a newer module to get the correct software. There is a Technical Service Bulletin about this that your dealer will have access to for more details.

Old 12-31-2014, 09:11 AM
Thanks for heading me in the right direction. I may have found a cheaper easier way to quickly resolve this problem. I read a lot of reviews where people were happy they didn't have to rewire or update their vehicle. Will let you know if it works. http://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Tow-Ready/TR20141.html

Old 05-12-2015, 05:58 AM
Thanks for heading me in the right direction. I may have found a cheaper easier way to quickly resolve this problem. I read a lot of reviews where people were happy they didn't have to rewire or update their vehicle. Will let you know if it works. http://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Tow-Ready/TR20141.html
Btw everyone. Now that it's summer I have used this many times. Works great! What a cheap perfect fix!