Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

'05 CTT Power steering rack and pump

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 10:41 PM
jdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to behold
'05 CTT Power steering rack and pump

Pretty much since I bought my '05 CTT the steering pump and rack have made noise and the occasional odd feeling through the steering wheel when turning. I've read there have been some issues with the bushes in the rack.

I hate to publicly admit this, but I didn't help the cause any when I put brake fluid in the wrong hole. Yep I filled the power steering reservoir with brake fluid. I did drain, flush and re-fill but not until a couple days later when I discovered my, what will become pretty expensive, screw up. Please don't banish me to purgatory for this sin. Probably the single largest screw up I've ever made in many years of DIY projects. What can I say, it was late and I just didn't pay attention.

So now I'm just going to bite the bullet and put in a new rack and pump.

The problem is I'm not finding any DIY articles or threads about replacing either one. Anyone know of any resources for helping out? Also does anyone know of a place that sells rebuilt units? I've seen one or two online but know nothing about them. I sure don't want to have to pay ~$1200-$1600 for a new one.

The pump is only a few hundred so will probably just order a new one.

Old 12-02-2014, 12:56 PM
rebrewer is on a distinguished road
Do you have PDCC?

Old 12-02-2014, 03:50 PM
jdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by rebrewer
Do you have PDCC?
No, I don't think it was even an option in 2005 from what I've read.

Old 12-02-2014, 07:05 PM
Mr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to behold
Just curious what your symptoms are at this point?

Old 12-02-2014, 11:06 PM
elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !
+1 wow, very different consistencies!

Old 12-03-2014, 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by Mr. Haney
Just curious what your symptoms are at this point?
The pump is making noise and the steering is chattering at times when turning. I'm going to try changing the fluid again but I'm not holding out much hope.

Old 12-03-2014, 11:43 PM
dgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond repute
pm me if you are interested in a used low mileage rack.

Old 12-04-2014, 12:38 AM
Originally Posted by dgreen78
pm me if you are interested in a used low mileage rack.
Definitely. PM sent.
Thanks!

Old 12-05-2014, 09:17 AM
XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !
Do you have the hydraulically disengageable sway bars from the Advanced Off-Road Technical Package? They use a tandem pump like the newer PDCC Cayennes.

Old 12-06-2014, 12:06 AM
Originally Posted by XR4Tim
Do you have the hydraulically disengageable sway bars from the Advanced Off-Road Technical Package? They use a tandem pump like the newer PDCC Cayennes.
I don't think so. That would have a big cylinder in the middle of the sway bar right? I didn't ever notice it before. As for with or without Servotronic the big visual difference should be an electrical plug right?

I need to crawl back under there again. I did gander at where the pump was located. That is NOT gonna be fun is it?

EDIT: Went out and put the beast up on the ramps and confirmed no disengaeable sway bar and it is Servotronic.

Last edited by jdubbya; 12-06-2014 at 01:34 AM.
Old 02-19-2015, 05:14 PM
Well the pump is definitely shot and at least one of the hoses/lines is leaking. Have a new pump in hand and new hoses/lines and o-rings on the way (and a new belt as well which I've wanted to do just as a preventative measure anyway).

Anyone done this replacement yet?

I'm not looking forward to it. It looks like it will be very hard to get to it all. It mounts right above the AC compressor and without taking a bunch of stuff out of the way I don't see how to get to the bolts.

Was hoping I'd have all the parts to tackle it this weekend but I don't think the hoses and stuff will be here by then.