Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Just Checked Out The 2011 Cayenne S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 04:58 PM
TheAMV8 is on a distinguished road
Just Checked Out The 2011 Cayenne S

Dealer got one in this week. Color is meteorite silver (I think that is what it's called). I didn't drive it since I was short on time, but I'll drive the Turbo they are getting in next week. Impressions:
  • Interior is gorgeous. This vehicle's was in black and the new gen interior is heads and shoulders above the last gen's. I think the aluminium package in the turbo is going to make it look even better. In any case this totally smokes the Bmw X5's interior. I think I prefer it to any other SUV interior including the Range Rover
  • The dreaded rear end actually looks fine (to me) in person. The tail lights are not nearly as overpowering as they look in the photos. Neither is the rear as bulbous as I thought it would be
  • There is too much lettering on the rear hatch. It looks busy to me. I might just keep the porsche designation and remove the "Cayenne Turbo" lettering or have it all removed
  • Rear quarter panels are more flared than I thought they would be. Not as much as say the GTS, but still pleasing
  • I actually didn't like center front intake on the S. I think it makes the car look like a cat fish (minus the whiskers). I think the more aggressive Turbo intake looks much better
  • The car was equipped with the 19 inch turbo wheel. It may have been the rubber that they had on them (Goodyear), but boy did they look like donuts. I'm seriously rethinking the 21s and dealing with an extra set of wheels for driving to the snow. Maybe the Pirellis will look better
  • I didn't find the new Cayenne to appear smaller than the current version, but rather it seemed less imposing, perhaps due to a less "blocky" appearance. I do think the GTS is still the best looking cayenne

Old 06-19-2010, 07:10 PM
gammaman will become famous soon enough
You can delete the model designation on the back, so it will just say PORSCHE. By doing so, the Porsche lettering is centered above the license plate so it looks better, rather than being higher up if there was a second line with "Cayenne Turbo". If you go to the 3D configurator looking at the back of the car, and choose the "model delete" option, you'll see what I mean. So in other words, if you want to delete "Cayenne Turbo", it's best to do it as a factory option. That's what I'll be doing.

Drove the CTT today, it did not disappoint!

Old 06-19-2010, 08:22 PM
Pugman is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by TheAMV8
Dealer got one in this week. Color is meteorite silver (I think that is what it's called). I didn't drive it since I was short on time, but I'll drive the Turbo they are getting in next week. Impressions:
  • Interior is gorgeous. This vehicle's was in black and the new gen interior is heads and shoulders above the last gen's. I think the aluminium package in the turbo is going to make it look even better. In any case this totally smokes the Bmw X5's interior. I think I prefer it to any other SUV interior including the Range Rover
  • The dreaded rear end actually looks fine (to me) in person. The tail lights are not nearly as overpowering as they look in the photos. Neither is the rear as bulbous as I thought it would be
  • There is too much lettering on the rear hatch. It looks busy to me. I might just keep the porsche designation and remove the "Cayenne Turbo" lettering or have it all removed
  • Rear quarter panels are more flared than I thought they would be. Not as much as say the GTS, but still pleasing
  • I actually didn't like center front intake on the S. I think it makes the car look like a cat fish (minus the whiskers). I think the more aggressive Turbo intake looks much better
  • The car was equipped with the 19 inch turbo wheel. It may have been the rubber that they had on them (Goodyear), but boy did they look like donuts. I'm seriously rethinking the 21s and dealing with an extra set of wheels for driving to the snow. Maybe the Pirellis will look better
  • I didn't find the new Cayenne to appear smaller than the current version, but rather it seemed less imposing, perhaps due to a less "blocky" appearance. I do think the GTS is still the best looking cayenne
I looked at the '11 S the other day, too, and my impressions parallel yours exactly. I HATED the rear end in photos, so much that I thought it would be a deal-breaker. But it looks fine in person. But the lettering on the back is too much. I would definitely do the delete option.

The front end on non-Turbos is rather unattractive; even more so than before. The one thing I did hate (and this is my personal deal-breaker for the time being) is the black plastic trim around the wheel-wells and rocker panels. It looks terrible here, on the X5, and on every other SUV that uses it. I love the body-color trim on my GTS

Despite the gorgeous interior and weight loss, it's just not quite *there* to get me to trade in my GTS. Especially since the sticker on this particular the '11 S was almost the same as my '09 GTS. If they come out with a GTS along the same lines as the outgoing one (slight power boost, turbo front end, performance goodies, enhanced trim, Alcantara seats), I will be placing my order.

Old 06-20-2010, 02:06 AM
Originally Posted by Pugman
I looked at the '11 S the other day, too, and my impressions parallel yours exactly. I HATED the rear end in photos, so much that I thought it would be a deal-breaker. But it looks fine in person. But the lettering on the back is too much. I would definitely do the delete option.

The front end on non-Turbos is rather unattractive; even more so than before. The one thing I did hate (and this is my personal deal-breaker for the time being) is the black plastic trim around the wheel-wells and rocker panels. It looks terrible here, on the X5, and on every other SUV that uses it. I love the body-color trim on my GTS

Despite the gorgeous interior and weight loss, it's just not quite *there* to get me to trade in my GTS. Especially since the sticker on this particular the '11 S was almost the same as my '09 GTS. If they come out with a GTS along the same lines as the outgoing one (slight power boost, turbo front end, performance goodies, enhanced trim, Alcantara seats), I will be placing my order.
I really like the GTS as well. Also agree about the black plastic around the wheel wells/rocker panels. Something I dislike intensely on my 07 X5

Old 06-20-2010, 07:45 AM
JenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of light
Nice write-up! Now, I have one more thing to add to my options, the lettering for cayenne turbo delete. I just want it to say Porsche across the back. Now, I can't wait for next Saturday!!!

Old 06-20-2010, 07:49 AM
JenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of light
Drove the CTT today, it did not disappoint![/QUOTE]

Impressions? I am curious!!!

Old 06-20-2010, 07:53 AM
AM, I noticed on the website you could order the summer performance tires as a no-cost option. I think may eliminate the donut look, but I am deciding between the 20" RS spyders or the 21's. The turbo I am driving next week has the 20" spyder wheels so I am happy!

Old 06-20-2010, 08:52 AM
gammaman will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by JenK
Drove the CTT today, it did not disappoint!
Impressions? I am curious!!![/quote]

Dynamically the car seemed very well put together; steering had good road feel, unlike older Cayennes I have driven. Brakes felt great as well, no need for the ceramics unless you need to be the only one on your block with with yellow calipers Acceleration is amazing as you would expect, but felt very composed, I passed a few cars on the highway and was doing 85 in the blink of an eye. Felt very solid, but ride was dreamy, you can dial it in to your liking with the PASM settings. Transmission was excellent, always seemed to be in the right gear, I almost forgot to try the shift buttons on the steering wheel. Yes, they are not as good as the paddles, but like anything I'm sure you get used to it. Given how good the transmission is, I wouldn't give up the heated wheel for the paddles.

Interior was first rate, very quiet, seats about the best I've sat in, except Automobile Magazine did have a good point about the headrest hitting the back of your head, although not to the point of being a deal-breaker. The test car was equipped with the Burmester stereo. Very nice! Detailed, clear, good ambience, great bottom end. I certainly wouldn't want to be without it, considering I listen to music more in the car than at home.

So there you have it, I'm looking at an October build, unless my dealer can trade up. Wouldn't want it before September anyway, as that is when the Espresso/Cognac natural leather will be available.

Old 06-20-2010, 01:40 PM
Originally Posted by JenK
AM, I noticed on the website you could order the summer performance tires as a no-cost option. I think may eliminate the donut look, but I am deciding between the 20" RS spyders or the 21's. The turbo I am driving next week has the 20" spyder wheels so I am happy!
I'm trying to get away with one set of wheels/tires. I drive up to Tahoe during the winter and have been fine with the all seasons on 19s on my X5. Definitely not as good as a full on winter setup, but given that I'm up in Tahoe for a few days then back down to the San Francisco area which is very temperate it's hard to justify a dedicated winter setup - especially since the ski season is only a few months this long

I'm wondering if maybe 20s might be a decent compromise though it is only a 1/2 inch difference on each side of the rim?

If you have the chance, could you snap a few photos of the RS rims?

Looking forward to your impressions of the turbo

Old 06-20-2010, 05:51 PM
AM, I am definately going to take some pics!

gamma, thanks for your impressions! I can wait to drive for myself!

Old 06-21-2010, 04:29 PM
ToddPhilly is on a distinguished road
Has anyone driven a V6 with the manual transmission yet? Curious how that feels.