Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Serious Problem with 2011 Porsche Cayenne S Hybrid

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 03:24 PM
nephew is on a distinguished road
For another perspective, I have owned my hybrid for almost 5 months (4,000 miles) and have not had one issue with the hybrid drive - the car seems to be operating exactly as it should. My gas mileage in the beginning (during break-in) was low (19 MPG), but now, on longer trips, I can easily get 27-28 MPG.

That being said, if I were to do it all over again, I would have just bought the Cayenne S - not because of issues with the hybrid, but because I miss the V8 engine (and its power). The only way to get the battery and gas motor in the hybrid to operate at the same time is to step hard on the accelerator, which is annoying. I would rather have the power of the V8 available all the time.

Old 05-27-2011, 06:08 PM
Jack888 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nephew
For another perspective, I have owned my hybrid for almost 5 months (4,000 miles) and have not had one issue with the hybrid drive - the car seems to be operating exactly as it should. My gas mileage in the beginning (during break-in) was low (19 MPG), but now, on longer trips, I can easily get 27-28 MPG.

That being said, if I were to do it all over again, I would have just bought the Cayenne S - not because of issues with the hybrid, but because I miss the V8 engine (and its power). The only way to get the battery and gas motor in the hybrid to operate at the same time is to step hard on the accelerator, which is annoying. I would rather have the power of the V8 available all the time.
Yeah, I have actually had my Cayenne Hybrid for five months as well. I have the identical setup to Woot's car (minus the handling features unavailable on the hybrid and with the Spyder wheels). I was very disappointed when I first got it because the gas mileage hovered around 20mpg. Now, however, I am easily getting 27mpg after it was broken in. Hugh difference.

I am the opposite. Having owned many cars with a nice sound, I am actually thoroughly enjoying the silence. If I come home late at night or I am going through my work's parking garage, it is completely silent. In addition, if anyone is thinking Burmester, it really can't sound better than in a cabin with complete hybrid silence with the insulated glass.

I would not have gone with the Cayenne S. The only question really lingering in my mind is whether I should have gone with the hybrid or the CTT. Just my opinion, FWIW.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:21 PM
hkb5variant has a spectacular aura abouthkb5variant has a spectacular aura abouthkb5variant has a spectacular aura about
Does Porsche fix the issue in 2012 Hybrid?
I am thinking a hybrid or a S.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:33 PM
FWIW, my opinion remains the same, while I like the hybrid, I think I would have been happier with the S.

My gas mileage is a bit compromised as I usually turn on the 'Sport' button. I am still very much annoyed that the engine and battery only work together when you kick-down on the accelerator. Would be a completely different car if both worked together under normal operating conditions.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:09 AM
BlackPepper is on a distinguished road
I test drove the hybrid and decided to get an S because there was something not right with the power delivery.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:19 PM
frank69m has a spectacular aura aboutfrank69m has a spectacular aura about
With the amount of money some people pay for a hybrid, just buy a V6 or S, then get a Prius on the side? :-)

Old 10-21-2011, 06:51 AM
hkb5variant has a spectacular aura abouthkb5variant has a spectacular aura abouthkb5variant has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by frank69m
With the amount of money some people pay for a hybrid, just buy a V6 or S, then get a Prius on the side? :-)
Good idea

Old 10-21-2011, 06:59 AM
Originally Posted by frank69m
While financially realistic for the base model ($20k difference in price), there is only a $4k difference in pricing between the S and Hybrid, so the Prius would need to be very cheap. Also, one would need to 'suffer' in driving the Prius while leaving the Cayenne parked in the driveway at home.

It would be interesting to get opinions on driving impressions comparing the base vs. the Hybrid - I doubt that there would be a noticeable change in driving dynamics in 'normal' driving as the electric motor would rarely kick in and the extra weight of the battery would offset the extra power of the supercharged V6.

I think I just convinced myself that the base model is a good deal!

Old 10-21-2011, 07:42 AM
frank69m has a spectacular aura aboutfrank69m has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by nephew
While financially realistic for the base model ($20k difference in price), there is only a $4k difference in pricing between the S and Hybrid, so the Prius would need to be very cheap. Also, one would need to 'suffer' in driving the Prius while leaving the Cayenne parked in the driveway at home.

It would be interesting to get opinions on driving impressions comparing the base vs. the Hybrid - I doubt that there would be a noticeable change in driving dynamics in 'normal' driving as the electric motor would rarely kick in and the extra weight of the battery would offset the extra power of the supercharged V6.

I think I just convinced myself that the base model is a good deal!

Hybrids can go to up in the 90's.

You can get a Cayenne V6 and a Prius for the same amount. A Prius can be had for low 20's. So why not buy both. When you feel like you want to be cool, drive the Cayenne. When you want 3x more gas mileage than a Cayenne Hybrid, and you want to drive a trasher car going to a bad part of town, buy the Prius.

Nuff said, buy both :-)

Old 10-31-2011, 10:25 AM
Finally I have ordered a S finally and long waiting time begins.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:10 PM
Davykurniadi is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by hkb5variant
Finally I have ordered a S finally and long waiting time begins.
Wise decision.

Don't forget to get the Sport Exhaust for your S. It adds the big smile....it never fail to cheer me up whenever I start the car in my garage and revving up on the highway...truly!!

Old 07-12-2017, 12:04 PM
healthyspeed is an unknown quantity at this point
Cayenne S hybrid "Fault Hybrid System"

Hi, does anyone have issues the hybrid system?

I get a yellow warning on the dash 'Fault hybrid system' if driven really hard for about 15min. It disappears after cooling off. Otherwise the vehicle shows no other symptoms.

Thanks

Old 12-25-2020, 03:52 AM
nz master is an unknown quantity at this point
Cayenne , Get the Lexus rx450

Originally Posted by Davykurniadi
Porsche Indonesia decided to take back my hybrid and they offer me to replace it with an S. They also mentioned that they put all hybrid order on "hold" until further notice. They confirmed to me verbally that the S will be on Jan'11 production. I'm still waiting for the email confirmation from them.

w00PORSCHE, once again thank you. The Porsche AsPac details did help and raised the international attention.
cayenne

Old 12-25-2020, 03:59 AM
nz master is an unknown quantity at this point
Cayenne , Get the Lexus rx450

Originally Posted by Davykurniadi
Porsche Indonesia decided to take back my hybrid and they offer me to replace it with an S. They also mentioned that they put all hybrid order on "hold" until further notice. They confirmed to me verbally that the S will be on Jan'11 production. I'm still waiting for the email confirmation from them.

w00PORSCHE, once again thank you. The Porsche AsPac details did help and raised the international attention.
cayenne
I have Cayenne and multiple Lexus car some hybrids .
if you are on safe side with bullet proof car , get the Lexus I have Cayenne with low milage and don't know what has not been changed or repaired. 6 Lexus so far and never have any problem on some on over 100.000 km just oil filter. To 100.000km on porsche a have probably at least 20 repairs some very big ones . Lexus none repair. My personal opinion Porsche is brand sell quality is very poor. Lexus even if you are billionaire, I don't look any another option now it is just question of Lexus model. Hopes that helps. Cheers