Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Long Cranks in Cold Weather

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 12:06 PM
GBXSport has a spectacular aura aboutGBXSport has a spectacular aura about
Long Cranks in Cold Weather

anyone else experiencing longer cranks in this cold weather? Its taking twice as long for the car to turn over. When i had this in my 335, it was the start of a failing fuel pump....

Old 01-06-2012, 03:50 PM
Vinnysca is a splendid one to beholdVinnysca is a splendid one to beholdVinnysca is a splendid one to beholdVinnysca is a splendid one to beholdVinnysca is a splendid one to beholdVinnysca is a splendid one to beholdVinnysca is a splendid one to behold
Batteries in extremely cold weather tend to crank out less power. That's a given fact. Do you have a battery maintainer? It's always a good idea to plug it in during really cold weather to help the battery maintain its charge during non-use. I don't think it's a fuel pump issue. If it were, you'd notice sporadic sputtering of the engine due to inconsistent fuel delivery.

Another thing to think about is this: Is your battery getting bad perhaps? I know mine had a factory defective battery when it was delivered to me. It quit working after just a few days. I found out that it wasn't holding enough amperage despite being run and recharged by the alternator. I replaced the battery and no slow crank starts since.

Vinny

Old 01-06-2012, 03:57 PM
GBXSport has a spectacular aura aboutGBXSport has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Vinnysca
Batteries in extremely cold weather tend to crank out less power. That's a given fact. Do you have a battery maintainer? It's always a good idea to plug it in during really cold weather to help the battery maintain its charge during non-use. I don't think it's a fuel pump issue. If it were, you'd notice sporadic sputtering of the engine due to inconsistent fuel delivery.

Another thing to think about is this: Is your battery getting bad perhaps? I know mine had a factory defective battery when it was delivered to me. It quit working after just a few days. I found out that it wasn't holding enough amperage despite being run and recharged by the alternator. I replaced the battery and no slow crank starts since.

Vinny
interesting. I will look into that.

I agree about the fuel pump, as i experience that sporadic sputtering with my 335, however, it did start with long cranks.

Thanks for your help!

Old 01-07-2012, 11:05 PM
Jace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of light
My guess is fuel pump. I've had mine in a cold start at -10 degrees and perfect start up with new fuel pump, even faster than the warm starts with my
Original non updated fuel pump.
Good luck.