Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Clear Sidemarkers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 02:16 PM
turbostang has a spectacular aura aboutturbostang has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by C4SxM5
Have you by change found one that works for the license plates? I've tried multiple vendors and get rid of the errors for the rears. My signal LEDs work great and no error up front but if you move them to the rears they light up.

To OP I'll try to post some pics for you but they are not that noticeable in the day time and who really walks up to your car to look at your bulbs?

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...onversion.html

This one work perfect. No error code.

Old 07-05-2012, 04:48 PM
C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !
Thanks for the info.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:28 AM
csufl is on a distinguished road
Hey guys, just in case someone wants to do the old school, plug-n-play bulb. I am using Polarg M4- 5W

Attached Images   

Last edited by csufl; 07-06-2012 at 10:30 AM.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:49 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dimseem
I was trying to avoid the egg yolk look. I am not sure if it's illegal to have white light bulbs for sidemarkers because I have been using it for my bmw for the past few years and never got caught.
It is legal.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:51 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
I have great success with Polarg bulbs in the past before going to SMD LED. The color is right and I never had one burn out. The best result for the OP would be get LED bulbs for sidemarkers and any other front parking/running lights so everything matches. LEDs will not be as hot as a a standard bulb so you will avoid burning/melting issues.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:12 PM
dimseem is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by turbostang
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...onversion.html

This one work perfect. No error code.
It works great!! Best mod ever!!

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  361.5 KB

Old 07-13-2012, 10:14 PM
Originally Posted by C4SxM5
Thanks for the info.
This is a must get inexpensive mod!! it might take u a while to install because of the size of the housing but it's well worth the time!!!

Old 07-20-2012, 09:44 PM
steph280 has a spectacular aura aboutsteph280 has a spectacular aura about
Ok I spoke too soon. Mine started melting as well. Just for giggles I took the lightbulb out of the housing. After leaving the light on for a minute, it literally burn my finger when I touched it. it sure gets hot!

So I took the clear bulb out of my stock orange markers and put it into the clear side markers. If it continues to melt it could only mean the clear markers aren't made for the 5 watts bulb commonly used in the states. Then I'll have to get a pair of LEDs.

Old 07-21-2012, 05:08 PM
So I poked around for LED alternatives, and found these that are CANBus compatible from a reputable shop:
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...2FWLED-CBT.htm

I see dimseem's concern, they might look a bit weird in the clear markers. So does anybody have one in their car? Can somebody post a photo?

Old 09-11-2012, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by steph280
So I poked around for LED alternatives, and found these that are CANBus compatible from a reputable shop:
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...2FWLED-CBT.htm

I see dimseem's concern, they might look a bit weird in the clear markers. So does anybody have one in their car? Can somebody post a photo?
I got another pair of side markers and ordered a set of silvered amber light bulbs a member suggested from autozone. I believed I bought the wrong bulbs coz my side markers is melting again!!!!

I will definitely try the LED you suggested. Did you try them? how do they look? post some photo if you have.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:22 PM
I've been too lazy and have not installed the LED's. After reading your post I figure I should put them to good use. So with the fishline method, I was able to pull the markers off with ease. And I actually spent some time with my infrared thermometer to see how hot each bulbs get.

From left to right:
aftermarket amber bulb: 230F
aftermarket silver coated amber bulb: 279F
stock clear bulb: 150F
SuperBrightLED.com's LED: 197F

Measurement were taken outside the housing after leaving the bulbs on for a few minutes until the temperature settles.

So the silver coated amber bulb melted my housing after one evening of driving, kinda expected at 279F degrees. I was a little surprised at the LED's being 197F degrees.

The LED's have these nice amber tone that's pleasant to look at. I went ahead and left the LED's in the housing and will be driving around in the next few days with them. Hopefully they will not melt my housings more than it is now!

Attached Images    
Old 09-13-2012, 08:03 PM
Newman is a jewel in the roughNewman is a jewel in the roughNewman is a jewel in the rough
Here is a good place to order white LEDs for your clear turn signals:

http://aznoptics.com/index.php?main_...&products_id=8

$19 for a set - very quick delivery. Used them on three cars now, no problems, very pleased with the clean look.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:45 PM
Mr.Brightside is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by dimseem
I got another pair of side markers and ordered a set of silvered amber light bulbs a member suggested from autozone. I believed I bought the wrong bulbs coz my side markers is melting again!!!!

I will definitely try the LED you suggested. Did you try them? how do they look? post some photo if you have.
I have been using the silver coated amber bulbs from Autozone on my clear markers for a few weeks now and I've had zero issues. I rechecked them today, and they work great with no melting / heat issues.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:11 AM
Newman is a jewel in the roughNewman is a jewel in the roughNewman is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Newman
Here is a good place to order white LEDs for your clear turn signals:

http://aznoptics.com/index.php?main_...&products_id=8

$19 for a set - very quick delivery. Used them on three cars now, no problems, very pleased with the clean look.
Forgot to mention that the color temperature of these LEDs match the color of the day time running light and front markers

Old 09-15-2012, 12:31 PM
nhirsch will become famous soon enoughnhirsch will become famous soon enough
Sidemarkers

Reading this thread and seeing it come up often, I've looked at my factory orange or amber sidemarkers but get no desire whatsoever to change it to clear. The amber seems more noticeable than the clear so wouldn't that be a safety plus? I wonder if we sometimes want to customize just because we can? Clearly a personal choice.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Clear Sidemarkers