Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Diesel: Addition of BlueSpark Pro + Boost Control

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 05:50 AM
grohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of light
Yeah, I have never had cause to check out the lesser model performance claims. When I responded, I didn't realize you were speaking of the Pro (minus Boost).

//greg//

Old 06-19-2013, 06:31 PM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
Just for the hell of it I switched to Map 9 today and set the adjustment to Greg's eyelash off top end. I took the screw drivers with me as I figured I'd want to readjust it before heading home tonight. Damn was that a fun ride! Economy sucked (though still ended up much higher than I expected given that I was playing so much). On the way home I took it through an empty office area I like to cut loose in from time to time and I have to say that the thing actually scared me.

Definitely not a day to day setting for me, but oh man was that a blast and a half

I need to get off my butt and sign up for the fall DE class in my region and I think I now know what map to use

Old 06-22-2013, 08:17 PM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
Haven't gotten around to changing off 9 yet and put 80 miles on it today. It was actually down to 21.2 (MFD) at one point, but ended up at 32 (MFD) at the end of pretty mixed driving. For all that extra power, that's not a big drop over stock.

Also I haven't noticed any "diesel" sound from it while on 9.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:25 PM
dlchasen is just really nicedlchasen is just really nicedlchasen is just really nicedlchasen is just really nicedlchasen is just really nice
I've really been enjoying Map 7. Followed Grohgreg's advice on the fine tuning (all the way on, back off an eyelash).

Old 06-23-2013, 05:15 AM
grohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of light
Not going to wait on putting a whole tank on 6 after all. After only half a tank, the drops in both performance and fuel economy are quite apparent. As stated previously, I'll likely end up back on Map 7. But today I'm going to give Map 8 a second chance. There's a two position pin-type controller just to the left of the map selector switch. I'm going to experiment with the second position to see if it changes the issue I felt at WOT; where Map 8 acceleration seems to drop off before the transmission upshifts to the next gear

//greg//

Last edited by grohgreg; 06-23-2013 at 05:21 AM.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:37 AM
dlchasen is just really nicedlchasen is just really nicedlchasen is just really nicedlchasen is just really nicedlchasen is just really nice
Originally Posted by grohgreg
Not going to wait on putting a whole tank on 6 after all. After only half a tank, the drops in both performance and fuel economy are quite apparent. As stated previously, I'll likely end up back on Map 7. But today I'm going to give Map 8 a second chance. There's a two position pin-type controller just to the left of the map selector switch. I'm going to experiment with the second position to see if it changes the issue I felt at WOT; where Map 8 acceleration seems to drop off before the transmission upshifts to the next gear

//greg//
How's 8 compared to 7? I'm quite enjoying 7.

Old 06-23-2013, 12:27 PM
Map 8 was my first choice when I installed it last December. Reason? Highest torque setting available, coupled with best fuel economy. Unfortunately I didn't like how it felt under full throttle. In hindsight, the WOT "surging" I reported was likely the torque curve falling off in each gear - before sufficient horsepower developed to finish the job.

So I went to Map 7, the next best combo of hp/torque/mpg. Response curve was much smoother at WOT thru the gears, and mpg was terrific. Stayed on Map 7 thru May. But I've since learned of one more tweak to Map 8, so I haven't kissed it goodbye just yet

//greg//

Last edited by grohgreg; 06-23-2013 at 12:32 PM.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:51 PM
Greg,
I've noted the jumper when changing settings, but haven't seen it documented. Do you have some info from BlueSpark about it?

Old 06-23-2013, 01:44 PM
No documentation, it was just mentioned in passing in a recent discussion with Jason. If repinning in fact makes a notable difference, I'll enquire further.

//greg//

Old 07-01-2013, 03:42 PM
OCNYPORSCHE has a spectacular aura aboutOCNYPORSCHE has a spectacular aura aboutOCNYPORSCHE has a spectacular aura about
Hey guys, just installed mine and set to 7. Once I know more, I will post. Thanks guys for all of your experimenting!!

Old 07-24-2013, 08:30 PM
OCNYPORSCHE has a spectacular aura aboutOCNYPORSCHE has a spectacular aura aboutOCNYPORSCHE has a spectacular aura about
Well I have mine at 7, and I think I have an issue. For then past 2 mornings, my diesel starts fine, and I drive for about 2 miles, then all of a sudden the glow plug coil light starts to flash and the diesel goes into limp mode. Its funny because it will upshift, but not downshift and a good amount of power loss.

The way I fix it, is to restart the truck. Then it works fine. Temp is really nice at about 70 degrees F.

Any ideas?

Old 07-24-2013, 08:48 PM
My GP icon has been coming on occasionally for months. Always within a couple minutes of starting a cold engine, always under very light throttle (I live at the top of a large hill). Never happens to a warm engine, and is completely random (cannot be intentionally replicated). Cruise control is disabled as well, but that's all. My OBD2 tool sometimes reflects a P0234 (overboost) and other times P0299 (underboost). It can't be both, so I doubt it's either. Simply restarting the engine fixes everything, and the codes are archived.

Just so Porsche wouldn't jump right on the tuning box, the first thing I did was check with BlueSpark. They've been selling these boxes to Cayenne diesel owners worldwide since 2008, and claim I am the first person to ever report the issue. I believe them, but disconnected the box anyway just to see if the issue would return. It did, so evidence suggests it's a Porsche problem - not a BlueSpark problem. I have an appointment on August 15th for them to read out the codes and see if there's anything they can do about it.

But on topic, I've used maps 8, 7, 6 in that order. Compared to Map 7, MPG went down in 6. So I gave 8 a second chance. MPG about the same as Map 6. So I'm back on 7 now, and will likely stay there indefinitely. Seems to be the combination of power increase and fuel consumption decrease that my engine likes best.

//greg//

Last edited by grohgreg; 07-25-2013 at 05:01 AM.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:00 PM
No codes or lights for me over about 2-2.5k with temps ranging from 40s to 90s and using the range of maps from 6-9.

Old 07-25-2013, 04:42 PM
How many miles do you guy have? I have 16K.

One thing that may be a workaround is to turn on sport mode after you start on a cold engine. Today I did that and no glow plug light!

Maybe the computer then expects the different boosts? Just a theory.

Old 07-25-2013, 05:14 PM
Originally Posted by OCNYPORSCHE
How many miles do you guy have? I have 16K.
You're ahead of me. I only had about 6500 on it before my wife took it to NY for the week (so it should have about 7500 when it gets back).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Diesel: Addition of BlueSpark Pro + Boost Control