Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Snapped Camshaft Adjuster Bolt = Engine & Brake Hydraulics Failure ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 03:12 AM
martinced is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi all from Europe,

Originally Posted by edmtwentyone
Only the V8 variants are affected. You are good.
I'm looking into getting a V6 and I'm extremely confused by this entire thread (which I read all, over two days!).

I don't remember reading people mentioning that only the V8 were affected. The Porsche 17V368 safety recall clearly reports the following Panamera V6 as affected (I'm in Europe and don't know how to "translate" these numbers to europeans vins: I mean, no clue from when to when Europe is affected.

Panamera from WP0AA2A7XBL010092 End : WP0AA2A75BL022036 (production date apr 15 2010 to jun 21 2011)

Panamera 4 from WP0AA2A7XBL010044 End : WP0AA2A74BL022075 (production date apr 15 2010 to jun 17 2011)

Now what is confusing me even more is that some people are saying that all the V6 from 2010 to 2016 (2016 !, now this is turning to nightmare) are affected. Where is this info coming from?

Did anyone with a V6 post june 2011 check to see which bolts the adjusters had?

Another source of confusion in my case: can the "dental mirror trick" be used on a V6 engine? (apparently yes)

Any infos is most welcome as Porsche centers in Europe seems to have about zero clue about the issue, besides the fact that they, indeed, had some engines breaking due to these bolts... "But nothing significant" (as in: "not many cars affected"). Very friendly but zero clues as to the models/year/reason it happens.

So yup, if anyone has more info for the V6, it'd be a welcome addition to this gigantic thread : )

Old 05-31-2018, 12:08 PM
Tom_T will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by martinced
Hi all from Europe,

I'm looking into getting a V6 and I'm extremely confused by this entire thread (which I read all, over two days!).

I don't remember reading people mentioning that only the V8 were affected. The Porsche 17V368 safety recall clearly reports the following Panamera V6 as affected (I'm in Europe and don't know how to "translate" these numbers to europeans vins: I mean, no clue from when to when Europe is affected.

Panamera from WP0AA2A7XBL010092 End : WP0AA2A75BL022036 (production date apr 15 2010 to jun 21 2011)

Panamera 4 from WP0AA2A7XBL010044 End : WP0AA2A74BL022075 (production date apr 15 2010 to jun 17 2011)

Now what is confusing me even more is that some people are saying that all the V6 from 2010 to 2016 (2016 !, now this is turning to nightmare) are affected. Where is this info coming from?

Did anyone with a V6 post june 2011 check to see which bolts the adjusters had?

Another source of confusion in my case: can the "dental mirror trick" be used on a V6 engine? (apparently yes)

Any infos is most welcome as Porsche centers in Europe seems to have about zero clue about the issue, besides the fact that they, indeed, had some engines breaking due to these bolts... "But nothing significant" (as in: "not many cars affected"). Very friendly but zero clues as to the models/year/reason it happens.

So yup, if anyone has more info for the V6, it'd be a welcome addition to this gigantic thread : )

The Base Cayenne V6 up to about 2015 or maybe later is the VW VR6 on steroids applied by Porsche. So they're not affected by the AH08 cam adjuster bolts recall, but any & all 2011-12.5-ish Porsche V8s whether turbo or N.A. are affected - despite Porsche's Euro denials noted above.

I can't say whether or not the newer Porsche designed 3.6L (2015-18) or 2.9L (2019>) turbo V6s are affected by a similar cam adjuster bolt problem.

Hopefully someone else can chime in?

Cheers!
Tom
///////

Old 05-31-2018, 12:43 PM
edmtwentyone is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by deilenberger
I've emailed Porsche again. I await their reply. If it isn't satisfactory, I've chatted with people in the FTC about how to file a complaint - and I'll do so - and post the steps needed here. The complaint would obviously be made against Porsche since while they contracted with GCG to perform the reimbursement process - they remain ultimately responsible.

Got another response from "Jen" at GCG, pretty sure Jen is the only on working this for all claims. She said still haven't reviewed my claim and no timelines. I just sent an email about non-compliance with the NHSTA approved reimbursement process to Tariq Bond at the NHSTA, PCNA Customer Commitment and Tim Quinn at PCNA (He's VP or after sales and listed as filing the recall).

Is there any other course of action to take in order to get Porsche to give me back my $$$ they've had since June 2016?

Old 05-31-2018, 10:47 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by martinced
Who are these people? I'd heard of one or two cases of the V6 having the issue - in the same build date range as the V8's - but it was very rare, only heard of 1 or 2 cases of failure.

Could that change? Sure - if they used the bad bolts and it's just now starting to catch up with the V6 engines.

I don't know of an absolute answer for you. Wonder if you can see the back of the adjuster through the oil fill hole on the V6 as you can on the V8. Be worth taking along a dental mirror when going to look at the cars.

Old 06-01-2018, 09:29 AM
martinced is an unknown quantity at this point
Who are these people? I'd heard of one or two cases of the V6 having the issue - in the same build date range as the V8's - but it was very rare, only heard of 1 or 2 cases of failure.
Well talking about the Cayenne edmtwentyone wrote here on page 42 of this thread (so not long ago): "Only the V8 variants are affected.". Does the Panamera have the same V6 as the Cayenne?

But then NSJ_04_996 (I think it's NSJ_04_996 unless I'm misattributing a quote) wrote (also on page 42): "It affects all MY Panameras and Cayennes Except for 2016 and on". All Panameras up to 2016 and all Cayennes up to 2016 would be quite something and is definitely not the models listed on the official recall list.

So basically I'm still very confused.

It'd be really lovely if someone with a Panamera (not Cayenne, even if this thread is in the Cayenne forum) V6 could tell us if the mirror trick works on Panamera V6 engine too or not.

EDIT: I opened a thread in the Panamera forum specifically about the mirror trick on the V6, we'll see if any owner can chime in and help

Last edited by martinced; 06-01-2018 at 09:40 AM.
Old 06-06-2018, 05:34 PM
sterz is on a distinguished road
What would happen if the bolt fails while the dealer is waiting for the parts to be available? Would Porsche cover the full repair?

Old 06-06-2018, 05:42 PM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sterz
What would happen if the bolt fails while the dealer is waiting for the parts to be available? Would Porsche cover the full repair?
Now that it's a formal recall, doesn't Porsche cover the complete repair whether it has failed already or not and it doesn't matter when it fails?

Old 06-07-2018, 09:45 AM
str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !
I just got mine replaced under warantee....

Old 06-09-2018, 11:53 AM
TJtheDJ will become famous soon enough
While I waited to get my bolts replaced I was instructed to drive the car as I normally would. If the bolts failed between then and the time I had the recall work completed Porsche would have to eat all the repair work. I had my bolts replaced on February 15th 2018 under the recall.

Old 06-23-2018, 05:22 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Sometimes a mailed letter works.. I received my reimbursement today. Haven't heard back from the President of Porsche Cars NA yet though. That's OK as long as I got reimbursed.

Old 06-23-2018, 05:36 PM
edmtwentyone is on a distinguished road
Funny!
My check also arrived today. No response from Head of Porsche Aftersales who initiated the recall, but a response from PCNA Customer Care saying they are sorry about the delay please keep working with the 3rd party administrator.

Check was was deposited to my bank at 1pm....ONLY 23 months from when the expense.

Old 08-28-2018, 05:12 AM
_R_Castro is an unknown quantity at this point
i have the same problem on a friends car . the bolt snaped. i gonna change the chains and adjuster on both sides .. the car 2011 cayenne s 4.8.

can any one help me find the timing guideline on this engine and how many NM the bolt should have.
Best Regards
R Castro

Old 08-28-2018, 05:39 PM
Originally Posted by edmtwentyone
Funny!
My check also arrived today. No response from Head of Porsche Aftersales who initiated the recall, but a response from PCNA Customer Care saying they are sorry about the delay please keep working with the 3rd party administrator.

Check was was deposited to my bank at 1pm....ONLY 23 months from when the expense.
I received a FedEX special delivery envelope a week or so ago, from someone in customer relations. Surprisingly she admitted that they didn't fulfill their customer obligations using CGC and implied they wouldn't be used on any campaigns going forward. Since I get notified by FedEX of all incoming packages - I was really puzzled for about a week over what Porsche could be sending me. Now I know.

Old 08-28-2018, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by _R_Castro
i have the same problem on a friends car . the bolt snaped. i gonna change the chains and adjuster on both sides .. the car 2011 cayenne s 4.8.

can any one help me find the timing guideline on this engine and how many NM the bolt should have.
Best Regards
R Castro
This isn't a simple thing to do. You need several timing tools to time the camshafts correctly. Not terribly expensive, but absolutely needed (one locks the crankshaft - the other is a bridge that fits over the camshaft and locks it in place at the correct timing position, allowing you to tighten the bolt that holds the adjuster to the end of the camshaft.) If you found all the pieces of the bolt - then it's probably not necessary to replace the chains. Replacing the chains would best be done with the engine out of the vehicle since the entire front of the engine has to be disassembled to get to the chain gallery.

There are some writeups on doing the job.. here is the one from Porsche:

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
RCRIT-17V368-0253.pdf (498.2 KB, 395 views)
Old 08-29-2018, 02:36 AM
_R_Castro is an unknown quantity at this point
This isn't a simple thing to do. You need several timing tools to time the camshafts correctly. Not terribly expensive, but absolutely needed (one locks the crankshaft - the other is a bridge that fits over the camshaft and locks it in place at the correct timing position, allowing you to tighten the bolt that holds the adjuster to the end of the camshaft.) If you found all the pieces of the bolt - then it's probably not necessary to replace the chains. Replacing the chains would best be done with the engine out of the vehicle since the entire front of the engine has to be disassembled to get to the chain gallery.

There are some writeups on doing the job.. here is the one from Porsche:
im going to change the chains and both adjuster.

its the same as audi q7 v8 timing lock system so that i solved..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Snapped Camshaft Adjuster Bolt = Engine & Brake Hydraulics Failure ?