Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Snapped Camshaft Adjuster Bolt = Engine & Brake Hydraulics Failure ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 11:23 AM
jayi836 will become famous soon enoughjayi836 will become famous soon enough
Were getting way off topic here, but the second page stated no smoking or pets or a special $350.00 charge to remove it.

The not so friendly blonde read it all out LOUD!

Love the snobs in the peoples public of Westlake!

I guess I look kind like a shifty, with the Chihuahua in my purse chain smoking in the doorway.

Old 03-09-2018, 12:01 PM
Tom_T will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by jayi836
Were getting way off topic here, but the second page stated no smoking or pets or a special $350.00 charge to remove it.

The not so friendly blonde read it all out LOUD!

Love the snobs in the peoples public of Westlake!

I guess I look kind like a shifty, with the Chihuahua in my purse chain smoking in the doorway.
LOL! ... I did "get" your 1st spelling BTW.

OT, but along the lines of TJ's comment.

They were none too friendly back in the 1970's either, when my Aunt was visiting me with her 2 Teacup Poodles in her purse, when we had to stop for a part when my 914's on her side's window crank broke on our way from OC to SB in July (no AC & power windows in my 914), & was smoking in the waiting area!

Rusnak Pasadena is just as bad - it's their corporate ethos! So I've usually passed on their overpriced "pre-owned" used CS's, other than to stop in if I'm in the area just to give their sales staff a hard time.

Of course - it fits right in with Porsche/PCNA screwing their owners on this cam adjuster bolts issue - what with denying it since 2012 when they issued recalls elsewhere & made the change to new bolts on the production line, & now seriously downplaying this AH)* Recall as nothing more than a "stalling issue", rather than a serious safety concern; not to mention having given dealers' in-stock used V8s priority on the fix/kits since last June, allowing them to fix any 2011-12.5 Cay/Pana in inventory so they could sell them, while making owners wait until 2018 - many suffering engine falures in the wait because they told them to just drive them!

Cheers!
Tom
////////

Old 03-09-2018, 01:05 PM
TJtheDJ will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Tom_T
Hey TJ, being from PGH myself, I know exactly what you mean about the "hills"! We went there with our 88 VW Westy & 2 kids & all our gear, and .... well, you can guess!

I didn't even try old Potomac Rd. hill up to Dormont/Mt. Lebanon, but we went down it for fun, & hit some of the other smaller & still brick paved steep streets there - & both kids were DAD!!

///////

Hey Tom, small world man! It is funny you happen to mention exactly what I am talking about. I currently live (for the past 15 years) on Beechview Avenue off Crane at the top of the hill. As you stated getting around here in the middle of pot holemageddon has been like navigating a mine field. My first issue with the V6 Cayenne was accelerating 376 from the Ft. Pitt tunnel up Green Tree hill heading to work at the radio station in Foster Plaza. I had my foot in the floor in SPORT MODE and was scratching me head. Before I owned this Cayenne I went through 3 models of Mitsubishi Eclipse's. All V6 powered (2000, 2003 and the 2006 which I kept for 11 years!!) The power of the MIVEC V6's in the latter model was outright nasty and that was a heavy car! I don't know I knew when I wanted a Cayenne for 2 years it had to have the V8 in it specifically for pulling away in traffic alone here on Pittsburgh's nasty hillsides and I was spot on in the ideology. I was born in Brookline, went to Seton La Salle High School and primarily have lived in SW PA minus a 2 year stint in Scottsdale, Arizona and 5 years in Slippery Rock, PA. The more of a tank you have around these parts the better and I absolutely am in love with my Cayenne S. I want for no other 4 wheel drive vehicle... well maybe the Turbo S someday! :-)

Let's Go Pens!

T.J.

Last edited by TJtheDJ; 03-09-2018 at 01:10 PM.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:56 PM
Originally Posted by TJtheDJ
Hey Tom, small world man! It is funny you happen to mention exactly what I am talking about. I currently live (for the past 15 years) on Beechview Avenue off Crane at the top of the hill. As you stated getting around here in the middle of pot holemageddon has been like navigating a mine field. My first issue with the V6 Cayenne was accelerating 376 from the Ft. Pitt tunnel up Green Tree hill heading to work at the radio station in Foster Plaza. I had my foot in the floor in SPORT MODE and was scratching me head. Before I owned this Cayenne I went through 3 models of Mitsubishi Eclipse's. All V6 powered (2000, 2003 and the 2006 which I kept for 11 years!!) The power of the MIVEC V6's in the latter model was outright nasty and that was a heavy car! I don't know I knew when I wanted a Cayenne for 2 years it had to have the V8 in it specifically for pulling away in traffic alone here on Pittsburgh's nasty hillsides and I was spot on in the ideology. I was born in Brookline, went to Seton La Salle High School and primarily have lived in SW PA minus a 2 year stint in Scottsdale, Arizona and 5 years in Slippery Rock, PA. The more of a tank you have around these parts the better and I absolutely am in love with my Cayenne S. I want for no other 4 wheel drive vehicle... well maybe the Turbo S someday! :-)

Let's Go Pens!

T.J.
PGH has always gotten the short end of the stick when it came to road funding - so Philly has nicely paved streets, & Harrisburg & Hershey, etc. - PGH gets the holes!

I remember in the late 1950's & early 1960's as a kid driving with my Great Aunt from their home in Greentree up that hill to the old streetcar stop at the top, so my Great Uncle could ride "dahntahn" to work at the Press-Telegram, & to my Grandmothers shop on W. Liberty.

Our "tank" back then was a 1948 Pontiac, then my Great Uncle's `56 Olds 88, after he passed in `62.

We last lived on Ft. Couch Road just before the big left turn down the hill, where Duquesne Coach & A.D. Doc Skender lived 3 doors "dahn" from us.

Dad worked for Koppers, & got a big stock bonus after he & his team invented urethane varnish first used in our basement by he, my brother & I (the patent also includes the auto urethane paint on our cars), then he got a job in San Diego in `63 when I was 10, so I've been in SoCal more years, but ...

You can take the kid outa PGH, but you can't take the Steelers, Bucs & Hornets/Pens outa the kid! ...nor the PGH accent, which a local City Councilman by the name of McGee picked up on from me immediately! LOL

So I went to HS in San Diego, college at USC & MBA at UCLA, but my Mom was Carrick HS & Presby Nursing School, Dad was Dormont HS & Pitt, & I popped-out at McGee in `52.

Anyway - back to Cayennes, it seems that they're mostly using base model V6s for the loaners & service/parts department hacks. Although I was looking at a nice post-bolts `12 CS last Aug/Sept which had been a service/parts hack.

I wish they'd let us just rent a V6 CS for a week or weekend to try out towing our vintage Avion T20 trailer to a show some weekend (#2 T20, looks like an Airstream), to really know how well or not it would perform. Otherwise my target remains 2008-14 957 or 958 V8 CS - with a heavy dose of caution in 2011-12.5!

Y'uns Take Care!
Tom
///////

Old 03-20-2018, 06:27 PM
fatpan is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi all, I have read just about everything I can find and am looking for any feedback. My eyes are crossed with pages of forum posts and I am now unsure what I thought I had straight. :-) I have a 2012 base Panamera v6 3.6L the V8s seem to be the most reported but I have ran across some of the engine issues and or cam adjuster issues mention to be the V6 also. My production date is 5/2012 and the vin thru Porsche returns no open recalls
Thru mirror appears to 'good' bolts. I tried a magnet but didn't seem to be magnetic. I will retry again.
part # appears to be 948.105.051.22 Ok? any ideas. ? Is this number specific to the v6 and maybe like the ....21 of the v8s? I have not searched the net yet but I just took the photo to see if the 21# came up and it is 22. in this topic the 948.105.051.23 is the new part for the cam adjuster.

Thanks for looking. I am brand new to this forum but been a part of Saab and Mercedes forums for years. Always good stuff when people share.

I am at the 60,000 miles service for the PDK and want to know what I should ask the service tech to check for me or if I am in the 'recall' campaign relating to the cam adjuster bolts. I have read only some models up to early 2012. and others state all models 2010 to 2016.

Thx FatPan

Old 03-20-2018, 06:42 PM
edmtwentyone is on a distinguished road
Only the V8 variants are affected. You are good.

Old 03-20-2018, 07:05 PM
found part # ending in 22. from earlier post I missed

Originally Posted by sterz
Well, here's an update

I got a copy of the WC22!

Part numbers 948 105 051 22 or higher are all fine and don't have to worry.

As posted in the pictures above, I have a 21 part number. I called the dealer regarding the recall (it's actually a recall, not a service bulletin) and they said because my Vin isn't associated with the recall, they can't do anything.

I called 1800 Porsche, and got the same story, my car is not impacted and they won't replace the part.
And let's say the part does fail, they won't cover the repairs.

The dealer quoted me 3,400 to perform the work.

I'm getting married this week so I don't have too much time to deal with this but my Porsche ownership might be way shorter than I would have ever thought.

found part # ending in 22. from earlier post I missed

Old 03-20-2018, 07:12 PM
Thanks for the reply. I will keep reviewing info. a thread on rennlist indicates this but I have no official word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJS_04_996
So this recall appears to affect all 2012 Panamera models and engines (except the hybrid).. Is it VIN specific? I looked up my VIN at the Porsche website and it said no open recalls for the P4 that I'm anticipating buying.

It affects all MY Panameras and Cayennes Except for 2016 and on. I would have your prospect car checked regardless of what the Carfax says. Good luck!

Old 03-21-2018, 10:32 AM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
No pin in the head of the bolts - you should be good. That's the big tell-tale.

Old 03-21-2018, 04:11 PM
Thanks, I feel better not seeing the part number ending in 21 since mine end in 22 and bolts without the pins. I will just enjoy the drive.

Old 05-12-2018, 04:35 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Has anyone who submitted a claim for reimbursement of expenses involved with this issue before the recall was announced heard anything? It's going on 14 weeks now for my submission. The place doing it for Porsche claimed it could take 4 to 10 weeks to process.

Curious if ANYONE has gotten reimbursed..

Old 05-12-2018, 06:09 PM
edmtwentyone is on a distinguished road
Not yet. There is literally one person (Jen) working all the claims. I’ve inquired several times via email and been told they got my stuff and are reviewing.
At the 9 week mark I got a generic letter saying my claim was deficient. Said the invoice marked paid wasn’t good enough and they wanted the actual receipt too. Insane! I took a photo of it still stapled to the invoice and sent again.
That was maybe 4-5 weeks ago after which I got confirmation from Jen again my claim file is complete and not longer deficient and they’d review it.

This process is is a joke. How can you have 1 person only reviewing claims and why does it take them that long. Should be pretty clear cut, especially for me with insane documentation on the failure and lengthy emails from Porsche, my dealer and the regional rep about the cause, the repairs and everything exactly what they’d want.

Old 05-13-2018, 11:08 AM
Sounds like time to report Porsche/PCNA to the NTSB for bad faith execution on the AH08 Recall, for stalling, delaying, false inadequate documentation claims, inadequate staffing (one - ONE - Really!), etc. on the reimbursement of prior recall work paid by owners.

Those who got hung out to dry for the repairs by Porsche until early 2018 should aslo file complaints for Porsche stalling owners, while they were fixing used for-sale Cays & Panas on the dealer lots since June 2017 when this Recall became in effect.

They claimed to have no repair kits for owner, but had plenty to repair dealer owned vehicle in order to get them sold!

I know for sure, because last June-October 2017 I talked with several dealers on a few FS & they were getting them done.

Good luck in getting your rebates in this decade!

Cheers!
Tom
///////

Old 05-14-2018, 11:28 AM
I've emailed Porsche again. I await their reply. If it isn't satisfactory, I've chatted with people in the FTC about how to file a complaint - and I'll do so - and post the steps needed here. The complaint would obviously be made against Porsche since while they contracted with GCG to perform the reimbursement process - they remain ultimately responsible.

Old 05-19-2018, 09:55 PM
spirit49 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cant wait any longer

Originally Posted by TJtheDJ
I was told that if the car needs a new camshaft they have to order them directly from Germany which could take weeks.

Even though Porsche in Europe is REFUSING to admit that any European 2011-2012 Cayenne Turbo's are affected by AH08(even showed them pictures of the bolts installed), I feel I cannot wait much longer.
We have still to solve the rough running of our engine, and it is getting worse. Either it is the Variocam actuators that is bad (already changed the Solenoids), or one of the 2 camshafts/bolts are out of alignment. Thats my theory at this time, as the 2 cylinder rows aren't agreeing = engine vibrations when cold, but still noticeable when warm even.
Cannot check Left Side camshaft bolts, but the RS are all still hanging on. Question is if the Cam gear bolts are slowly coming loose, and the gear has slide out of alignment??!!!

Ref quote above, is there any observations that the camshafts must be replaced too because of the bad bolts??

I have compiled a shopping list based on the AH08 invoices you guys have posted(thank you very much).
323$ was much less than earlier predicted, where even the camshaft gears had to be replaced. What is the story since then?

I will probably have Porsche Austria replace the bolts on our Turbo soon. While we are in there, I will replace the Variocam Actuators too. Hopefully, either will fix our vibration issue.

I dont know if AH08 will ever get to Europe, and we can get reimbursed like in the US, but around 1200$(AH08) seems like a much better deal than a new engine 22'$

I can't tell you how disappointed I am after purchasing our first Porsche.
Front suspension is acting up.
Transfer case is getting bad
Engine vibrations

What a lemon!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Snapped Camshaft Adjuster Bolt = Engine & Brake Hydraulics Failure ?