Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Snapped Camshaft Adjuster Bolt = Engine & Brake Hydraulics Failure ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 12:16 AM
boxs1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by sterz
It looks like I'll be calling the dealer on Monday about the service bulletin again.

Last two numbers show its the old part number.
Yes its the defect part number ! dont drive the car better !
change the 2 adjusters parts soon as possible

Old 06-06-2016, 05:18 AM
sterz is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by amablemiguel
went and asked but there's none. It comes as a whole part. Thought it could be ordered aside but no. It comes with the Adjuster. 2 adjusters with 4 revised bolts each.
Where did you order yours from?

I'm thinking of using this site since they have the best prices I've seen
http://store.paramountauto.com/oe-porsche/94810505123

Old 06-06-2016, 05:47 AM
amablemiguel will become famous soon enough
Where did you order yours from? I'm thinking of using this site since they have the best prices I've seen http://store.paramountauto.com/oe-porsche/94810505123
Use sunsetporscheparts, they're the fastest and cheapest of them all. I've tried them all but none compare in price to sunsetporscheparts they're based in Oregon so no tax.

Old 06-06-2016, 12:10 PM
Well, here's an update

I got a copy of the WC22!

Part numbers 948 105 051 22 or higher are all fine and don't have to worry.

As posted in the pictures above, I have a 21 part number. I called the dealer regarding the recall (it's actually a recall, not a service bulletin) and they said because my Vin isn't associated with the recall, they can't do anything.

I called 1800 Porsche, and got the same story, my car is not impacted and they won't replace the part.
And let's say the part does fail, they won't cover the repairs.

The dealer quoted me 3,400 to perform the work.

I'm getting married this week so I don't have too much time to deal with this but my Porsche ownership might be way shorter than I would have ever thought.

Use sunsetporscheparts, they're the fastest and cheapest of them all. I've tried them all but none compare in price to sunsetporscheparts they're based in Oregon so no tax.

Old 06-06-2016, 12:30 PM
Well, here's an update I got a copy of the WC22! Part numbers 948 105 051 22 or higher are all fine and don't have to worry. As posted in the pictures above, I have a 21 part number. I called the dealer regarding the recall (it's actually a recall, not a service bulletin) and they said because my Vin isn't associated with the recall, they can't do anything. I called 1800 Porsche, and got the same story, my car is not impacted and they won't replace the part. And let's say the part does fail, they won't cover the repairs. The dealer quoted me 3,400 to perform the work. I'm getting married this week so I don't have too much time to deal with this but my Porsche ownership might be way shorter than I would have ever thought.
exactly, a recall it is, sorry my bad. But to clarify, that your VIN is not associated, same as mine wasn't either, you said it they won't do anything. Just sit and wait for it to happen and if you're not under warranty prepare your wallet for a whole new engine. If you're under warranty prepare yourself to get a new engine and wait a couple of months for it to arrive and be installed which will leave you without your car for that time frame.

Again listen to what they said, IF IT FAILS THEY WONT COVER THE REPAIRS.

As I know I may have scared a lot of you I hope now you understand me as to why I tried warning a lot of you to better get this fix than wait for the worst to happen. Again I bought the parts and took it to be replaced. I was not charged so much for it but it depends on your shop. One thing to get a note on, this is not a part to be replaced on a local non authorized Porsche shop. This parts require exact torque tightening, don't know if you understand what I mean.

Again don't be scared, this is the most reliable car I've ever owned. Never a single issue aside from the thermostat cover blowing up which was replaced under warranty and everything else is just typical oil change, pads etc.

Old 06-06-2016, 05:02 PM
exactly, a recall it is, sorry my bad. But to clarify, that your VIN is not associated, same as mine wasn't either, you said it they won't do anything. Just sit and wait for it to happen and if you're not under warranty prepare your wallet for a whole new engine. If you're under warranty prepare yourself to get a new engine and wait a couple of months for it to arrive and be installed which will leave you without your car for that time frame.

Again listen to what they said, IF IT FAILS THEY WONT COVER THE REPAIRS.

As I know I may have scared a lot of you I hope now you understand me as to why I tried warning a lot of you to better get this fix than wait for the worst to happen. Again I bought the parts and took it to be replaced. I was not charged so much for it but it depends on your shop. One thing to get a note on, this is not a part to be replaced on a local non authorized Porsche shop. This parts require exact torque tightening, don't know if you understand what I mean.

Again don't be scared, this is the most reliable car I've ever owned. Never a single issue aside from the thermostat cover blowing up which was replaced under warranty and everything else is just typical oil change, pads etc.
which year is your car?

Just curious because all of the cars with issues i've read about are the 2011s.

I'll upload the WC22 shortly, but per the WC22

Action required:
If you see from the vehicle’s workshop history, for example, that both camshaft controllers with Part No. 948.105.051.22 or a higher index were already installed on the vehicle before carrying out the campaign, these do not need to be replaced.

Affected vehicles:
The VIN(s) can be checked by using PIWIS Vehicle Information link to verify if the campaign affects the vehicle. This campaign is scope specific to the VIN! Failure to verify in PIWIS may result in an improper repair. This campaign affects 3,509 vehicles in North America.

Old 06-06-2016, 05:59 PM
Old 06-06-2016, 06:39 PM
which year is your car? Just curious because all of the cars with issues i've read about are the 2011s. I'll upload the WC22 shortly, but per the WC22 Action required: If you see from the vehicle’s workshop history, for example, that both camshaft controllers with Part No. 948.105.051.22 or a higher index were already installed on the vehicle before carrying out the campaign, these do not need to be replaced. Affected vehicles: The VIN(s) can be checked by using PIWIS Vehicle Information link to verify if the campaign affects the vehicle. This campaign is scope specific to the VIN! Failure to verify in PIWIS may result in an improper repair. This campaign affects 3,509 vehicles in North America.
mine is 2011 never recalled, SB or anything. They never told me. My tech did and I trust him. Bought my parts and installed them. Is not 2011 exclusive because last week I saw a 2013 CTT that what hauled to the dealer because of it and was ordered a new engine under warranty. Last month there were 2 CTTs there for same stuff.

Old 06-06-2016, 08:12 PM
mine is 2011 never recalled, SB or anything. They never told me. My tech did and I trust him. Bought my parts and installed them. Is not 2011 exclusive because last week I saw a 2013 CTT that what hauled to the dealer because of it and was ordered a new engine under warranty. Last month there were 2 CTTs there for same stuff.
i called porsche north america again and spoke with someone wayyy more helpful.

she said to go to my preferred authorized dealer and have them check the bolts. she said they can use a camera to quickly/easily check and may not even charge me for it.

after that, am to call them back and let them know what they found (if it's the bad bolts or if they bolts are the good ones).

so i'll try to make it tomorrow or Wednesday to the dealer.

Old 06-06-2016, 08:17 PM
i called porsche north america again and spoke with someone wayyy more helpful. she said to go to my preferred authorized dealer and have them check the bolts. she said they can use a camera to quickly/easily check and may not even charge me for it. after that, am to call them back and let them know what they found (if it's the bad bolts or if they bolts are the good ones). so i'll try to make it tomorrow or Wednesday to the dealer.
that's a helpful representative. Great idea.

Old 06-06-2016, 08:55 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
I believe the check can be done at home..

If the bolts aren't magnetic - they're the faulty ones. And you can see/touch/reach with a magnet - the ones that are on the side the oil fill cap is on by removing the cap. I used a dental mirror to view mine, and checked with a magnet - they aren't magnetic.

If the dealer has a better test or way to do it please let us know.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:37 PM
Originally Posted by deilenberger

If the bolts aren't magnetic - they're the faulty ones. And you can see/touch/reach with a magnet - the ones that are on the side the oil fill cap is on by removing the cap. I used a dental mirror to view mine, and checked with a magnet - they aren't magnetic.

I have to take the car in for an oil change anyways. plus i would like to have the dealer confirm what they find and hopefully work with Porsche North America.

so what happened with your bolts? are you still driving with the non-magnetic ones or did you pay out of pocket to replace the camshafts?

Old 06-06-2016, 10:28 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Still driving with them. At 61,000 miles now. I have an extended warranty for 5 years or until 100k miles. It lets me sleep at night. I'll be interested in what your dealer tells you, and that might convince me to go after mine. One dealer I went first denied there was a campaign, then when I pressed the issue claimed it only applied if there was a problem.

I have another dealer I got friendly with on my "06 /S, so I may approach them and see what they say. They were very good with the CPO coverage on my last Cayenne so I hope they would be helpful on this.

Please do let us know the outcome of your dealer visit.

Old 06-07-2016, 06:32 PM
amablemiguel, boxs1 and deilenberger,

would you mind telling me your production dates?

you can put in your vin here and it will give your production date
http://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/Porsche

mine is September 30, 2011

Old 06-07-2016, 08:14 PM
Originally Posted by deilenberger

this is from a picture i posted earlier in this thread, how can i see/touch/reach the bolts? are talking about the head of the bolt or the end of the bolt?

i haven't taken the car in, i'll try this friday but with my wedding on saturday, i'm cutting it kind of close.

i spoke with porsche north america again this evening, more of an inquiry as to what would be the options if the bolts happen to be the defective ones.

pretty much nothing they can do. they will not do preventive maintenance and also won't cover the repairs if the faulty parts happen to fail.

one of the dealers i talked with, quoted me $3,400 to replace the camshafts (didn't actually get a written quote to see the parts/labor breakdown). i'll call another dealer or two tomorrow to see if that's actually the going rate.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Snapped Camshaft Adjuster Bolt = Engine & Brake Hydraulics Failure ?