Go Back  6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource > Porsche (Present) > Cayenne > Cayenne 958
Reload this Page >

Snapped Camshaft Adjuster Bolt = Engine & Brake Hydraulics Failure ?

Notices
Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Snapped Camshaft Adjuster Bolt = Engine & Brake Hydraulics Failure ?

 
  #61  
Old 05-27-2016, 11:04 AM
CTT-QTR's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Qatar
Posts: 262
Rep Power: 26
CTT-QTR is a glorious beacon of lightCTT-QTR is a glorious beacon of lightCTT-QTR is a glorious beacon of lightCTT-QTR is a glorious beacon of lightCTT-QTR is a glorious beacon of lightCTT-QTR is a glorious beacon of light
Never heard of this camshaft SB. Is it regional specific?
 
  #62  
Old 05-29-2016, 08:34 PM
deilenberger's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Spring Lake, NJ, US of A
Posts: 1,469
Rep Power: 108
deilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond repute
How did you replace the bolts. Everything I've read indicated the sprockets also get replaced under that service campaign.
 
  #63  
Old 05-30-2016, 09:35 AM
amablemiguel's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: DR
Posts: 193
Rep Power: 14
amablemiguel will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
How did you replace the bolts. Everything I've read indicated the sprockets also get replaced under that service campaign.
Bolts and sprockets. Can get you the parts number if you want. Or just ask your tech.
 
  #64  
Old 05-30-2016, 01:55 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Troy, MI
Posts: 87
Rep Power: 14
sterz is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by amablemiguel View Post
Bolts and sprockets. Can get you the parts number if you want. Or just ask your tech.
I'm having a hard time finding the details on the service bulletin.

do you know if this only affected certain 2011 models? i'm planning on calling the dealer first thing in the morning but want to gather as much information as i can before calling them.

this is scary, i just purchased a 2012 CTT with 62k miles on it.
 
  #65  
Old 05-30-2016, 05:33 PM
amablemiguel's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: DR
Posts: 193
Rep Power: 14
amablemiguel will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by sterz View Post
I'm having a hard time finding the details on the service bulletin. do you know if this only affected certain 2011 models? i'm planning on calling the dealer first thing in the morning but want to gather as much information as i can before calling them. this is scary, i just purchased a 2012 CTT with 62k miles on it.
don't be scared bro. This is the most reliable car I've ever owned. Had a jag, Range Rover sport and a Ferrari.. I would never get a Ferrari again... It was more on the shop for repairs than anything else. Trust me, when you want a sports car, that is tough, durable and reliable get a Porsche 991, SUV Cayenne, saloon Panamea, wife Macan :P

As per the service bulletin I've never seen the specific part listed. But again I can provide the parts number for what it's needed.
 
  #66  
Old 05-30-2016, 05:35 PM
amablemiguel's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: DR
Posts: 193
Rep Power: 14
amablemiguel will become famous soon enough
Was told by my tech that your just need the new bolts not the whole unit. What happens is Porsche says to change all. The problematic part are the Camshaft Adjuster BOLTS. Old ones are made of aluminum which bend and break.
 
  #67  
Old 06-02-2016, 09:24 AM
Registered User
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Troy, MI
Posts: 87
Rep Power: 14
sterz is on a distinguished road
What years are the cars affected by this issue?

I called my SA yesterday and he said my vin doesn't have the service bulletin attached to it to indicate I need to get the repair done.

My car is a 2012 CTT with about 62k miles on it.

EDIT:
Double checked on which part I have installed and it looks like my car is also affected by this.

My part number - 948 105 051 21 ; replacement part number is 948 105 051 ( 23 )
 

Last edited by sterz; 06-05-2016 at 11:28 AM.
  #68  
Old 06-02-2016, 09:30 AM
Registered User
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Troy, MI
Posts: 87
Rep Power: 14
sterz is on a distinguished road
Finally had a chance to talk with my SA about the camshaft issue and he said there wasn't a service bulletin for a camshaft issue attached to my vin. It was probably for the earlier 2011 models which had the issue and must have been corrected by the time the 2012 production started.

My car is a 2012 CTT

He looked over the recall/service bulletin history for my car and said there were a total of 9 issues which were all addressed. (7 software, 1 headlight, and 1 brake pedal)
 
  #69  
Old 06-04-2016, 03:06 AM
Registered User
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: bg
Posts: 82
Rep Power: 10
boxs1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
How did you replace the bolts. Everything I've read indicated the sprockets also get replaced under that service campaign.
Porsche refuse to Change under the campaign.
and i order 2 new upgrade camshaft adjuster
 
  #70  
Old 06-04-2016, 03:10 AM
Registered User
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: bg
Posts: 82
Rep Power: 10
boxs1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by sterz View Post
Finally had a chance to talk with my SA about the camshaft issue and he said there wasn't a service bulletin for a camshaft issue attached to my vin. It was probably for the earlier 2011 models which had the issue and must have been corrected by the time the 2012 production started.

My car is a 2012 CTT

He looked over the recall/service bulletin history for my car and said there were a total of 9 issues which were all addressed. (7 software, 1 headlight, and 1 brake pedal)
Even my Vin is not issue attached but i have the defect adjusters with part number 948 105 051 21 and the new and upgrade part is with number 948 105 051 ( 23 )
You can open your tab oil and check the part number !
 
  #71  
Old 06-04-2016, 08:42 AM
Registered User
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Troy, MI
Posts: 87
Rep Power: 14
sterz is on a distinguished road
It looks like my part number is 948 105 270 2R

Or did I take a completely wrong part picture?

Edit - NM, realized it's the wrong part in the picture. I'll recheck/retake tomorrow.


Originally Posted by boxs1 View Post
Even my Vin is not issue attached but i have the defect adjusters with part number 948 105 051 21 and the new and upgrade part is with number 948 105 051 ( 23 )
You can open your tab oil and check the part number !
 

Last edited by sterz; 06-04-2016 at 08:24 PM.
  #72  
Old 06-05-2016, 12:53 AM
Registered User
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: bg
Posts: 82
Rep Power: 10
boxs1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by sterz View Post
It looks like my part number is 948 105 270 2R

Or did I take a completely wrong part picture?

Edit - NM, realized it's the wrong part in the picture. I'll recheck/retake tomorrow.
this one
 
Attached Images  
  #73  
Old 06-05-2016, 09:19 AM
Registered User
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Troy, MI
Posts: 87
Rep Power: 14
sterz is on a distinguished road
It looks like I'll be calling the dealer on Monday about the service bulletin again.

Last two numbers show its the old part number.

 
  #74  
Old 06-05-2016, 09:30 AM
Registered User
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Troy, MI
Posts: 87
Rep Power: 14
sterz is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by amablemiguel View Post
Was told by my tech that your just need the new bolts not the whole unit. What happens is Porsche says to change all. The problematic part are the Camshaft Adjuster BOLTS. Old ones are made of aluminum which bend and break.
Could you tell me what the part number is for the bolts?

Thank you for all of your help!
 
  #75  
Old 06-05-2016, 06:49 PM
amablemiguel's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: DR
Posts: 193
Rep Power: 14
amablemiguel will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by sterz View Post
Could you tell me what the part number is for the bolts? Thank you for all of your help!
went and asked but there's none. It comes as a whole part. Thought it could be ordered aside but no. It comes with the Adjuster. 2 adjusters with 4 revised bolts each.
 

Last edited by amablemiguel; 06-05-2016 at 06:56 PM.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Snapped Camshaft Adjuster Bolt = Engine & Brake Hydraulics Failure ?


Join 6SpeedOnline
Visit our Sponsors

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.