Go Back  6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource > Porsche (Present) > Cayenne > Cayenne 958
Reload this Page >

Snapped Camshaft Adjuster Bolt = Engine & Brake Hydraulics Failure ?

Notices
Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Snapped Camshaft Adjuster Bolt = Engine & Brake Hydraulics Failure ?

Old 08-29-2018, 09:41 AM
deilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by _R_Castro View Post
im going to change the chains and both adjuster.

its the same as audi q7 v8 timing lock system so that i solved..
OK then. Please take lots of photos to share with us..

Old 08-29-2018, 09:54 AM
_R_Castro is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm waiting for some answer if I should order the stuff or not.

I'm done this job on audis. That are very comen on s4 rs4 and rs6.

I can't find the engine skiss on this one.

m48.02 engine. If it have 3 chains like the v8 from Audi it should be pretty easy.

Porsche Sweden haven't heard of this until today and ask them how they stand to this failure. I hope to get more answer from them soon if they wanna cover it or not. My guess is no

Old 08-29-2018, 10:50 AM
deilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond repute
It's one LONG double row chain - that requires removal of the timing chain cover to replace - and that requires removal of the engine - or everything ahead of the engine - to remove.

https://www.vertexauto.com/images/Pr...large/7288.jpg

You might also check the compatibility of the Audi timing tools - I really doubt if they are the same. http://www.hinodetools.com/jtcdata/d...NSTRUCTION.pdf

Old 09-23-2018, 11:55 PM
BIGDON917 is an unknown quantity at this point
2011 Porsche Panamera 4s

Hello
on the camshaft recall, did anyone get any progress on Porsche paying for engine replacement or repair. Tom, I hope you have some great info for me, because my engine just **** the bed too, no compression either....noisy and vibration.

Old 09-24-2018, 05:24 AM
edmtwentyone is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by BIGDON917 View Post
Hello
on the camshaft recall, did anyone get any progress on Porsche paying for engine replacement or repair. Tom, I hope you have some great info for me, because my engine just **** the bed too, no compression either....noisy and vibration.
Yes. I got full reimbursement about a month and a half ago. I had engine replaced (which was like $28k and my out of pocket was $7k; Porsche goodwill picked up the other $21k).
They also were not 100% certain what part was used in 2016 when the engine went so they did the recall too at zero cost.

Old 09-24-2018, 09:34 AM
BIGDON917 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wow

There telling me my vin# is not coming under the recall but having the same symptoms, on my 2011 Porsche Panamera 4s. What do I do from here.

Old 10-11-2018, 04:44 AM
too_good is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi all - logging in for the first time in a few months (2010 CTT UK owner who undertook preventative repair of camshaft controller assemblies for peace of mind).

Over on the Porsche Club GB forum, the owner of a 2010 DIESEL Cayenne (80k miles) is reporting in no uncertain terms that this camshaft adjuster bolt failure has wrecked his car. Has anyone heard of this issue affecting diesels please? I thought it was purely early 958 model 4.8L V8 petrol engines. FYI, given the cost he has been given for a replacement engine (new or recon), it is literally not worth it and his current plan is to scrap the car. Horrendous.

https://www.porscheclubgb.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1005787

PS: I reported the design defect and safety risk to the UK's vehicle standards agency (DVSA) around one year ago seeking reimbursement for the repair I had done, but my case was basically dismissed on the grounds that Porsche GB responded to say that there was no GB recall for the defect and that there was no safety risk as warning lights would always be displayed, with the car still driveable (!). They infer that UK cars are unaffected, despite these cars being made in the same factory (?), with identical looking bolts and, crucially, UK indys seeing crippled Cayennes/Panameras come in. Incidentally, the DVSA only considers cars which have a 'serious safety defect' (which they classify as a with a defect which could result in a 'sudden failure without warning'). Appalling I know. So I now monitor the Porsche Club GB forum for anyone experiencing this issue, share my experience and urge them to report the case to the DVSA to create noise on the topic. The UK owner base is a lot smaller than the US unsurprisingly, with perhaps fewer miles covered on average too such that this issue is only now surfacing a bit.

Last edited by too_good; 10-11-2018 at 04:46 AM. Reason: Wrong link inserted