Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

DIY: DRL adapter for Turbo/GTS bumper swap

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 07:00 AM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Gene Culley
gnat: I'm going to purchase your adapters as soon as I'm finished with my wheel, brake and tire overhaul. At that time I'm going to do the bumper conversion. Do you have the bumper conversion parts list please?
If you search for threads I've started there is one I created with the list of parts I purchased, but as I note in that thread I think there is more that was missed. My recommendation is to go with Suncoast's kit rather than trying to deal with the individual parts list.

Old 04-19-2014, 12:58 PM
Gene Culley is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by gnat
If you search for threads I've started there is one I created with the list of parts I purchased, but as I note in that thread I think there is more that was missed. My recommendation is to go with Suncoast's kit rather than trying to deal with the individual parts list.

I tried to return your PM but it said I couldn't until I reach 15 posts. At any rate, as I mentioned, I am getting all new brakes, wheels and tires and some powder coating done and then I am doing the front bumper. I'm from PA so there are no problems with shipping.

I thought I ran across your post a week or two ago with part numbers and all and I can't find it.

I'm not all that thrilled about going to Suncoast. I see they have some quality control issues with getting out all of the correct parts or number of parts in their kit.

You see, I have my own online GM Parts Business, and we do a lot of conversions for Camaros, Corvettes, etc., and I have created a lot of conversions for those cars and I have spreadsheets and quality control for when we ship these conversions and the problems I've read with Suncoast shouldn't exist in a correct scenario.

Our sister store is a Porsche Dealership and I would like to order all of the parts from them at my discount.

Old 04-19-2014, 04:44 PM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Gene Culley
I thought I ran across your post a week or two ago with part numbers and all and I can't find it.
Sorry, have been on my phone until now. Here is the link. Keep in mind that I have a diesel so I needed the Turbo intercooler ducts. If you have a base or S you'll want whatever parts the GTS uses.

I'm not all that thrilled about going to Suncoast. I see they have some quality control issues with getting out all of the correct parts or number of parts in their kit.
I saw that, but I've also dealt with them enough to know that they'll stand behind their product and work any issues out.

In talking to ECS it looked like I could beat SC's price quite substantially so I worked with them. In the end it came out to about the same price and I'm not sure I got everything (but it's on and looks good).

Our sister store is a Porsche Dealership and I would like to order all of the parts from them at my discount.
You should be able to take my list then and hopefully they can work out what might have been missing. If you find any variations in my list, please update that thread.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:41 PM
Gene Culley is on a distinguished road
Sorry, have been on my phone until now. Here is the link. Keep in mind that I have a diesel so I needed the Turbo intercooler ducts. If you have a base or S you'll want whatever parts the GTS uses.

I saw that, but I've also dealt with them enough to know that they'll stand behind their product and work any issues out.

In talking to ECS it looked like I could beat SC's price quite substantially so I worked with them. In the end it came out to about the same price and I'm not sure I got everything (but it's on and looks good).

You should be able to take my list then and hopefully they can work out what might have been missing. If you find any variations in my list, please update that thread.
Thank you. You've been very helpful and I will certainly post what I decide to do with the parts setup. We'll be in touch on the harness.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:42 PM
f1monza2014 is on a distinguished road
2013 cayenne gts bumper purchase.

May I please purchase this from you.
Please contact me. My car is at dealership . Please do you have this module in stock can you make me one for a price ? Please let me know.
Can you please call me 818 913 1833...
my highbeam is not working error codes 1 and 2 are on..
Please advise.
Can you make me module for my cayenne 2013 S.
My cell 818 913 1833
john

Old 12-18-2014, 12:04 AM
HOiYA will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by f1monza2014
May I please purchase this from you. Please contact me. My car is at dealership . Please do you have this module in stock can you make me one for a price ? Please let me know. Can you please call me 818 913 1833... my highbeam is not working error codes 1 and 2 are on.. Please advise. Can you make me module for my cayenne 2013 S. My cell 818 913 1833 john
You should also have a look at this thread:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...mper-swap.html

Old 12-18-2014, 07:22 AM
Originally Posted by f1monza2014
my highbeam is not working error codes 1 and 2 are on..
The TT/GTS LED bars are plug&play with the existing wiring harness, just without the DRL function. It should have no impact to your headlights at all. I would expect your dealership to be able to diagnose that issue for you, but I would start by removing and reinstalling the headlights to make sure they are seated properly.

I know if you swap the standard headlights with the TT/GTS versions you need to have the dealer update the configuration for the built-in DRLs to work. Maybe they applied that config change to disable the bumper DRLs but the system is freaking out since you (presumably) don't have the TT/GTS headlights?

Beyond that it could be that the units got damaged during the R&R for your new bumper. Since it's at the dealer you might see if they have another matching Cayenne on the lot and can swap the headlights to see if it is the headlights themselves or something else.

Otherwise I have no ideas, sorry.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:20 AM
f1monza2014 is on a distinguished road
2013 cayenne s gts bumper

I am using the original S. Headlights.
I did not purchase the gts headlights.
Error code is from the day time running lihts.
Did you have a fix for this sout ion
John

Old 12-18-2014, 09:34 AM
As mentioned in post #7 in this thread I have heard conflicting reports about if the lack of adapter or headlight switch would throw codes, but apparently it does in your case.

Do the codes go away if the DRL option is turned off in the Exterior Lighting settings of the PCM/MFD?

If the car is still in a disassembled state you can plug in the old lights to verify the that it indeed the lack of the DRL or something else.

If it does come down to the lack of DRLs then your options are:
1. Live with the codes.
2. Turn off the DRLs if that clears the codes.
3. Make (or have someone else do it) a set of the the adapters as detailed in this thread.

As detailed in my requirements in the thread where I offer to build them, you unfortunately do not meet my requirements. Even if you met my other requirements (e.g. didn't post purchase requests in threads where I explicitly say not to post such requests and having a presence here in the community) the lead time is the killer. I couldn't get the parts quickly from my guy which means I'd have to source them through a normal vendor which will cost substantially more. Then even with rush shipping (additional $$$) all around you are still looking at probably 2 or more weeks due to the holidays. It's simply not something I can turn around quickly.

Old 11-18-2015, 03:35 AM
hkb5variant has a spectacular aura abouthkb5variant has a spectacular aura abouthkb5variant has a spectacular aura about
I have made and installed the adaptor harness by myself according to the instruction ( Thanks gnat) and they were working very nice until last week I found this weird situation:

When the light switch is switched to Auto - the left side DRL doesn't light up
When the light switch is switched to low light - both lights work fine

I do not know about circuitry so I would like to ask:

Is it because the 1A Schottky Diode in the Pin A3 from the stock connector was burnt out?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Old 11-18-2015, 06:49 AM
Do you have the DRLs enabled in the MFD?

With the DRL enabled what is the state of the lights with the car running when:

Headlight switch is auto and the headlights don't come on?

Headlight switch is auto and the headlights do come on?

Headlight switch is off?

Headlight switch is on?

In there is any case where the headlights are not lit up and the offended signal light is working then it's probably not the adapter. If there is no such case, then the adapter is likely at fault.

If it looks like the adapter, the first step is to swap sides and see if the issue also switches sides. That will 100% confirm it. If it is the adapter it could be any number of things, but if all your solder joints appear to still be sound it's probably easiest to start over with fresh components rather than try to diagnose which one is at fault.

Old 11-18-2015, 06:59 PM
hkb5variant has a spectacular aura abouthkb5variant has a spectacular aura abouthkb5variant has a spectacular aura about
Do you have the DRLs enabled in the MFD?
Yes.Enabled.

With the DRL enabled what is the state of the lights with the car running when:

At daytime, the headlights don't come on.
At night time, the headlights come on.

Headlight switch is off?
All lights don't come on at anytime

Headlight switch is on?
All lights except the fog lights come on

In there is any case where the headlights are not lit up and the offended signal light is working then it's probably not the adapter. If there is no such case, then the adapter is likely at fault.
The headlights work normally.

If it looks like the adapter, the first step is to swap sides and see if the issue also switches sides. That will 100% confirm it. If it is the adapter it could be any number of things, but if all your solder joints appear to still be sound it's probably easiest to start over with fresh components rather than try to diagnose which one is at fault.[/QUOTE]
Noted. Thanks for your advice. I was just lazy to start over if the issue is diagnosed that it was due to be one bad solder joint or one component.

Old 11-18-2015, 09:53 PM
Originally Posted by hkb5variant

Headlight switch is off?

Headlight switch is on?

The headlights work normally.
I see that you are in Hong Kong so there may be a translation issue here, but I wasn't asking about the headlights themselves. I was asking about how the signal bars/DRLs were acting when the headlights were in those various states.

Headlight switch is off?

Headlight switch is on?
Are you saying that with the engine running, DRL enabled in the MFD, the headlights off, that neither signal bar is lit up? But if the headlights are on both signal bars are lit up?

Old 11-18-2015, 11:13 PM
I see that you are in Hong Kong so there may be a translation issue here, but I wasn't asking about the headlights themselves. I was asking about how the signal bars/DRLs were acting when the headlights were in those various states.

Are you saying that with the engine running, DRL enabled in the MFD, the headlights off, that neither signal bar is lit up? But if the headlights are on both signal bars are lit up?

Sorry for the confusion.

With the engine running, DRL enabled in the MFD, the headlights off, only the right side signal bar lit up.

If the headlights are on, both signal bars are lit up.

Old 11-19-2015, 06:19 AM
Originally Posted by hkb5variant
Sorry for the confusion. With the engine running, DRL enabled in the MFD, the headlights off, only the right side signal bar lit up. If the headlights are on, both signal bars are lit up.
And it's the same if you manually turn the headlights on and off or use the auto mode correct?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DIY: DRL adapter for Turbo/GTS bumper swap