Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

DIY: DRL adapter for Turbo/GTS bumper swap

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 04:19 PM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
DIY: DRL adapter for Turbo/GTS bumper swap

Thanks to snp_cayenne for coming up with a schematic for making the LED light bar in the Turbo/GTS bumper act as DRLs.

I thought I would stand on his shoulders actually document the work with some notes and pictures in the hopes it helps others that follow behind.

Please note that as of the time I'm writing this I have not connected it up yet so I don't know for sure that it works

Also note that as of now I have only assembled one, so if anyone thinks some more/different pics would be helpful please let me know ASAP (I hope to do the second sometime tomorrow).

ECS should be able to supply all the wires and housings (I got the male housings and female wires from them, but due to issues identifying the correct male wires and female housings I sourced them from a non-public supplier). Another source (from snp_cayenne) is automotive-connectors.com, but I had some issues when I tried to go with them. I bought my diodes and resistors from Mouser.

The parts you need for one adapter (e.g. double everything):
  • 1J0-973-824: Housing (female socket that the wiring harness will plug into)
  • 1J0-973-724: Housing (male socket that plugs into the light bar)
  • 000-979-134: Wire set (two wires with the male pins (goes in the female housing) on both ends)
  • 000-979-133E: Repair wire (single wire with two female ends (goes in the male connector). You need 1.5 of these wires (so 3 to do both adapters).
  • 2 60v 2a diodes Mfg PN: SB260-E3/73 Mouser PN: 625-SB260-E3/73.
  • 10w 75ohms 1% resistor Mfg PN: RS01075R00FE12 Mouser PN: 71-RS01075R00FE12

Some things I learned:
  • I'll make the leads a bit longer next time. The whole thing doesn't need to be that long, but it will be eaiser to work with.
  • Pull the locking clip all the way out of the male connector before inserting the pins. It got in the way and prevented pins 1 and 3 from going in.
  • My soldering skills are passable, but it ain't pretty. Thank you shrink tubing for hiding my sins

The pictures:
  1. All the parts for 1 adapter before modifications.
  2. The wires cut to leads. 4 male pins (left) and 3 female pins (right) are needed.
  3. The wires assembled (and bad solder hidden). Pin 4 is at the top and Pin 1 is at the bottom. There is no Pin 2 for the female (right) pins.
  4. Final product with 1/2" abbrasion covering.

Do not post requests in this thread. It is not appropriate per the forum rules and I have gotten out of the business of building these for people, sorry.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	922
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	317460   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	790
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	317461   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.JPG
Views:	807
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	317462   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 4.JPG
Views:	856
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	317463  

Last edited by gnat; 11-18-2015 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Removed For Sale link
Old 01-04-2014, 05:00 PM
snp_cayenne is a jewel in the roughsnp_cayenne is a jewel in the roughsnp_cayenne is a jewel in the roughsnp_cayenne is a jewel in the rough
Great work!

Old 01-05-2014, 09:09 AM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
Well the second one is done and all I can say is that I'm glad I documented the first one…

Hopefully I'll sneak out for a bit tomorrow and get them tested.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:43 AM
Swung by and plugged up the light bars with the adapters and everything seems to work as expected. I'll add some pics of the working DRLs after everything is reassembled and it looks like a Cayenne again.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:57 PM
XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !
Great job! Thanks for documenting this.

Old 01-16-2014, 06:18 AM
nhirsch will become famous soon enoughnhirsch will become famous soon enough
Nice write up and taking time to do so. Is this to make lights after a bumper swap be more like a turbo? There is discussion online of pros and cons of DRLs so I'm wondering what reasons you wanted these?

Old 01-16-2014, 10:46 AM
A wiring change (via the adapter in this case) is required to make the LED bars in a Turbo/GTS bumper act as DRLs when you do the bumper swap without also swapping the headlights for the Turbo/GTS versions that have the DRLs built in.

Because of my situation (headlights are being replaced too) I could have gotten the Turbo/GTS headlights, but I personally don't like the look of them (I think the DRLs make them too bulky looking).

What this wiring change does is uses the parking lights to act as the DRLs by splicing the lines together.

As far as using DRLs or not, I'm personally not a fan and think they are more dangerous than good (the number of people I see driving around at night with just their DRLs on is insane). I still did the adapter so that I don't have to worry about any warning messages/codes (I've read conflicting info on if it complains or not) and so that if/when I pass it on to the next person all the functions will work. I also went with the adapter rather than hacking my harness so that there isn't anything the dealer can complain about should I have an electrical fault somewhere (e.g. I can just pull them off if needed to prove/disprove they are at fault).

Old 01-16-2014, 11:04 AM
HOiYA will become famous soon enough
This is an awesome write up!
+ rep points!

Old 01-16-2014, 11:05 AM
nhirsch will become famous soon enoughnhirsch will become famous soon enough
gnat: thanks for the clear explanation. btw, I have a 2012 turbo but never got out of the car to see if it had DRLs so it's not an issue either way with me--I was just curious of your thinking and you've explained it nicely. Also nice of you to provide the option to your potential buyer.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:19 AM
Originally Posted by HOiYA
This is an awesome write up!
+ rep points!
Thanks. I'm happy to help.

Next up is to document the full parts list for the bumper swap since I couldn't find that. Just waiting for it to get put back together to make sure there aren't any other parts missing. Everyone seems to go with the Suncoast kit, but assuming I now have all the parts getting the individual parts from ECS is coming in a few hundred bucks cheaper.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:25 AM
And the final product.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image_4.jpeg
Views:	823
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	333542  
Old 02-20-2014, 02:38 PM
MSPOLTO is on a distinguished road
Dear GNAT,

Hope all is well with you. Congratulations, the conversion turned out just great!!! I am planning to convert front bumper of my Cayenne S (year/model 2012) into GTS/Turbo model. Here in Brazil folks are not well versed in doing this stuff, even less to make the DRL's work. Would you be so kind to sell me a harness like the one you made for your car? I will be in the US (Miami) in March so you could ship it to me then. If you agree, let me know the amount and if I can pay you via PayPal. Thanks in advance and regards, Marcio

Old 02-26-2014, 08:25 AM
JimGT3 is a jewel in the roughJimGT3 is a jewel in the roughJimGT3 is a jewel in the roughJimGT3 is a jewel in the rough
great work and nice write up!

Old 04-09-2014, 08:19 PM
I did a second set of these (that look a lot better than mine!) for another forum member, so I've added a For Sale posting to offer it to others as well.

Please do not post requests in this thread for me to build them for you. If you want me to build them, read the For Sale posting and follow it's instructions.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:19 PM
Gene Culley is on a distinguished road
gnat: I'm going to purchase your adapters as soon as I'm finished with my wheel, brake and tire overhaul. At that time I'm going to do the bumper conversion. Do you have the bumper conversion parts list please?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DIY: DRL adapter for Turbo/GTS bumper swap