Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Leather Care

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 09:20 AM
Always Up will become famous soon enoughAlways Up will become famous soon enough
Lightbulb Leather Care

I've been using meguiars leather conditioner for a bit now, and I was wondering, the leather of our cayenne's seems to be coated with some sort of vinyl or paint. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but does this not mean that we should be using more of a vinyl UV protectant rather than conditioners since it will not reach the leather underneath anyways?

Also, on a side note, I wonder why they have "aloe" and "vitamin E", since leather is dead skin, I'm supposing that's a marketing gimic, and that the only conditioning should be to keep the leather from drying out and UV protection correct?

Last edited by Always Up; 10-10-2014 at 04:46 AM.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:31 AM
TSAF NKUF is on a distinguished road
I've been using armor all protectant or gel in all my cars with leather interior. Never knew the seats were coated in the cayenne"s.

Old 10-09-2014, 11:41 AM
stevefrommn has a spectacular aura aboutstevefrommn has a spectacular aura aboutstevefrommn has a spectacular aura about
Old 10-10-2014, 04:45 AM
Always Up will become famous soon enoughAlways Up will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by stevefrommn
Yes, that is very informative on how to care for different types of leather.

There is a specific part "Most leather surfaces in high-end vehicles such as Porsche, Ferrari, Bentley, Lamborghini, etc. require much different care than on other vehicles that are main stream."

but then it goes on to explaining proper care for "mainstream finished leather" but does not explain how to care for our "high-end vehicles".

I am pretty sure however, that our Porsche's leather has that urethane top coating at the very least, so in my case, I will ditch the meguiars leather conditioner, and stick with a UV protectant, at least for now.

Old 10-10-2014, 11:27 AM
stevefrommn has a spectacular aura aboutstevefrommn has a spectacular aura aboutstevefrommn has a spectacular aura about
You probably cant go wrong using Porsche's leather Cleaner. I think the standard leather in our cars does have a urethane top coating. Go to the 997 or 991 section and you can get a lots of Product recommendations from people who have been caring for Porsche leather for a long time. Leather Masters and Leatherette come to mind.
I don't thing our leather needs conditioning as much as just cleaned with the right product.

Old 10-10-2014, 02:16 PM
Boeing Driver is on a distinguished road
This is like a "what kind of oil should I use question", your going to get a different response from everyone. Having said that though I like Leatherique pristine clean, it cleans and nourishes the leather and it's a liquid so it soaks in. Also griots leather conditioner is pretty good.

Old 10-10-2014, 05:58 PM
imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !
You probably cant go wrong using Porsche's leather Cleaner. I think the standard leather in our cars does have a urethane top coating. Go to the 997 or 991 section and you can get a lots of Product recommendations from people who have been caring for Porsche leather for a long time. Leather Masters and Leatherette come to mind.
I don't thing our leather needs conditioning as much as just cleaned with the right product.
FYI Leatherique - not leatherette.

Old 10-10-2014, 06:40 PM
xray doc is on a distinguished road
Great article. I learned a lot.

Old 10-10-2014, 07:17 PM
BlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Boeing Driver
This is like a "what kind of oil should I use question", your going to get a different response from everyone. Having said that though I like Leatherique pristine clean, it cleans and nourishes the leather and it's a liquid so it soaks in. Also griots leather conditioner is pretty good.
I have a full leather interior on my CTT.
I used the leatherique cleaner, then rejuvenator per the packaging directions.
Then, i let my CTT sit out in the hot sun, windows closed, for 4-6 hours.
It absolutely looked wonderful afterward.
Looked new and vibrant...

I don't think i wasted my time... but definitely interested to hear additional feedback on this topic.
The article posted above was certainly interesting, but as stated, it didn't help me understand what's best for Porsche leather interiors.

Last edited by BlazinPond; 10-10-2014 at 07:19 PM.