Notices
Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Convert TailLights Cayenne 958.1 to 958.2

Old 03-10-2018, 03:37 PM
Elberoth is an unknown quantity at this point
Did the new headlight need coding ?

Did the connectors fit plug & play ?

Old 03-11-2018, 04:58 AM
Originally Posted by Elberoth View Post
Did the new headlight need coding ?

Did the connectors fit plug & play ?
I'm sorry I meant TAIL light not headlight.

Also, does the bumper support beam need replacement ?

Old 03-11-2018, 08:03 AM
boxs1 is on a distinguished road
I'm sorry I meant TAIL light not headlight.

Also, does the bumper support beam need replacement ?
You need to Re-pin and they will work

Old 03-11-2018, 01:11 PM
Originally Posted by boxs1 View Post
You need to Re-pin and they will work
Did you have to buy any extra parts beside the bumper ?

When I was facelifting my Audi S5, I had to buy quite a few parts extra, like a aluminium bumper support cross beam, some bumper fixings and even the headlight washier nozzles (on the front) as they were all slightly different.

And BTW - did you get a complete trunk tail gate from another car (with glass and all the wiring) on ebay or did you buy just the OE metal part from Porsche and reused all parts from the old gate ?

I'm asking, since I can get a complete gate for 800 EUR which will match the color of my car (white), but it may need repainting anyway. So if I'm to respray it, I may equally well just buy the factory metal part and reuse the glass, wiring, all all the small bits. The second option will probably cost me the same, but at least the part will be brand new and the paint thickness will be similar to the other panels on the car vs twice as thick if you respray the old part.

PS. I really appreciate your comments, as I'm to buy all the parts this week.

Old 03-11-2018, 02:42 PM
boxs1 is on a distinguished road
Did you have to buy any extra parts beside the bumper ?

When I was facelifting my Audi S5, I had to buy quite a few parts extra, like a aluminium bumper support cross beam, some bumper fixings and even the headlight washier nozzles (on the front) as they were all slightly different.

And BTW - did you get a complete trunk tail gate from another car (with glass and all the wiring) on ebay or did you buy just the OE metal part from Porsche and reused all parts from the old gate ?

I'm asking, since I can get a complete gate for 800 EUR which will match the color of my car (white), but it may need repainting anyway. So if I'm to respray it, I may equally well just buy the factory metal part and reuse the glass, wiring, all all the small bits. The second option will probably cost me the same, but at least the part will be brand new and the paint thickness will be similar to the other panels on the car vs twice as thick if you respray the old part.

PS. I really appreciate your comments, as I'm to buy all the parts this week.
Send me message the my cellphone if you need any help +359888850203

Old 03-13-2018, 02:43 PM
Just started my project. Got the outer lights today. I hope to have all parts by the end of the week.

Old 03-14-2018, 01:48 PM
Got the rear bumper and hatch today. Both white in A+ condition - no painting necessary

So far, I have spent:

- outer tail lights: 220 EUR
- complete hatch: 950 EUR
- complete rear bumper: 250 EUR

1420 EUR total. I expect to get at least 1000 EUR for my old parts back.

Last edited by Elberoth; 03-14-2018 at 02:44 PM.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:26 PM
I'm starting tomorrow, but I have already started thinking about doing the front as well.

Is it doable ?

Cayenne 958.1 (2010-2014):

Cayenne 958.2 (2015-2018):

It certainly will be a much more difficoult project, as you have to replace the front lights, bumper, bonnet and front fenders. I can buy a complete front end of the 2016 Cayenne (with LEDs!) for ~ $6500 in the same color as my car (no painting necessary - at least in theory, as my 2011 white may be a bit different than 2016 white).

As I would be able to sell off my original pre-face lift parts for ~$4500, we are talking about a total investment of $2000 + labor (thankfully cheap in Poland).

Old 04-01-2018, 01:17 PM
LAwR is on a distinguished road
I did it too.

Looks like it`s a new car. Also changed body and wheels color

Attached Images  
Old 04-01-2018, 01:25 PM
Wow, looking great !!!

Another question: do you need to repin the two outer taillights only ?

What about the inner tailights (those that are in the hatch) ? Mine are already wired, since I bought a complete hatch. Do you need to repin the wiring that goes out of the hatch, under the headliner ? Or are those plug & play ?

Old 04-03-2018, 07:24 AM
It seems that there are more differencies than described in this thread.

I have found a DIY facelift manual on a German forum, which also lists parts that need to be replaced:

https://www.pff.de/porsche/wcf/index...heckumbau-pdf/

Can anyone confirm this ?

I'm especially interested in the the 4 trim pieces (or covers; German: Blende) that are on the page 4. Are those needed ?

I'm also wondering how did you deal with the missing mounting brackets pictured on page 2.

Old 04-05-2018, 04:44 PM
Project update:

Today we have successfully fitted the outer taillights. The plugs are the same on 958.1 and 958.2 models, so no cutting & soldering is needed (at least at this point). As other have already mentioned earlier, the turn signal pins and brake light pins are interchanged within the plugs - when you press the brake, the turn signal lights light up; when you turn on the turn signal - the brake light turns on. To correct this, you have to repin the plugs (the pins can be removed from the socket using the special tool and then reinserted).

One thing we have observed right away is that the inner taillights (those that are in the hatch) have imediately stopped working after the repin of the outer tails. Clearly, some of those pins carry the signal back to the inner taillights. We will investigate that further next week.
My car looks a bit like a Frankenstein now - with the outer tails from 958.2 and the inner tails/hatch still from the 958.1:

Here you can clearly see the difference in size - the new tails are much narrower, but also extend much futher back:

We have encountered 3 additional problems during the install:

1. The covers that I have asked about in my earlier post are definately needed. They cover the whole side of the taillight (4 tailights = 4 different covers), and since the new tails are lower, the old ones do not fit.

The part #s for those 958.2 covers are:

Outer L & R

Inner L & R

They are ~$20 each.

2. The missing support bracket situation. Since the new tails are lower, they do not reach all the way down to the lower support bracket on 958.1 cars. This support has obviously been moved up 2" or so on 958.2 cars:

Some ppl have opted to leave this as is, but I thought that fabricating the right support extension is a much better idea. So I went today to a local company and asked them to laser cut me some custom extensions from polycarbonate:

They fit perfectly:

I'm still waiting for the Inox steel (doesn't rust) nuts and washers to finish this off.

3. The last problem is the fact that the new tails ... do not sit completely flush with the body of the car. They stick out ~2-3mm - certainly more than they should.

I'm not sure how to deal with it just yet - there seems to be no form of adjustment present. If someone have managed to solve this - please let me know.

I'm going to the bodyshop on Monday to fit the FL bumper and hatch. So HOPEFULLY, the car should be ready by the end of the week.

Old 04-06-2018, 05:44 AM
Why you didn`t got smoked tail lights and GTS / Aero skirt bumper? Looks way much better than normal ones.

I don`t think connectors / wires from facelift trunk will fit to your car. I think you have to move everything, wires, ecu, handle/camera, even glass. I bought empty tail gate with glass from 2016 GTS but glass have different wires/conectors. So I put my glass on it.

For fender tail lights, you have to invert pins 2 with 4. You have to take out any other pins from this connector. You will leave only 1-4-3-2 (new order).
For bumper fog lights you need to split a wire from pin 1 and pin 9. Here you can use your old connectors from old TRUNK tail lights. Pin 1 to 1 and 9 to 2. Order new small electric pins for fog connector : 000979131EA - audi code (or use your old pins but they don`t fit perfectly on fog connectors)
Wires from pins 5 7 and 10 you will "soldering" them to wires 2, 3 and 4 . This wires are goind to trunk lights so follow them.
You are done with fender lights and fog.

Next for trunk lights
Let`s say you are moving everything from old trunk. So you need 2 new connectors for trunk lights: 1J0973715
Here, old pin 6 you put it to new pin 1, old 4 at 7 new (reverse light). Then the rest 3 of wires you put it in same 2-3-4 pins like on fender lights.

You are done. That`s all. No errors in dash or PIWIS. Everything works perfectly. I also added a sequential tail lights turn signal.

For license plate lights you have to order 2 facelift new ones: 95863162010 and add a resistor on wires. New are LED, very nice white color and will give error in dashboard. Or you can cut a little from new trunk to fit old lights but i don`t recomend this.
For camera/handle, you need a new plastic support 95851212901 that needs to be cutted a little and adapt to your old camera/handle module.

For central trunk brake light, you have to invert pins and will work.

Parking sensors will not fit, you have to take out rubber and glue them to new bumper.

Fender - Facelift bumper plastic supports:

Tail lights plastic covers:

If your new bumper don`t have metal heating protection, you need:

Exhaust need to be adapted

Video with my car:

To fit lights you have to cut/bend this one:

Fog connectors:

Last edited by LAwR; 04-07-2018 at 02:34 AM.
Old 04-06-2018, 01:29 PM
Thanks a lot for your help!

I have ordered today the bumper inner brackets you have mentioned:

When you said the we need a new 'metal heating protection' did you mean those heat shields that are already attached to the bumper's side mounting brackets ?

I went to the bodyshop today to take a pic and mine look like this (the bumper is beeing painted, so those were removed):

Old 04-07-2018, 02:35 AM
Yes, you have them. Many bumpers don't.

One more thing, parking sensors will not fit. You have to remove rubber and glue them on new bumper.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Join 6SpeedOnline
Visit our Sponsors

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.