Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

TTS Exhaust Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 09:36 PM
TrackAddict997 is a jewel in the roughTrackAddict997 is a jewel in the roughTrackAddict997 is a jewel in the rough
Question TTS Exhaust Question

Hey guys, Just joined the 958 family with a 2014 TTS. (will post some pics soon) Planning to dome some exhaust work and tune. wondering what the best move is with the exhaust on these cars, what makes the most power/ best sound? don't mind it being very loud.

Appreciate any advice, thanks!

Old 12-04-2018, 08:34 AM
DrBillyD is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by TrackAddict997
Hey guys, Just joined the 958 family with a 2014 TTS. (will post some pics soon) Planning to dome some exhaust work and tune. wondering what the best move is with the exhaust on these cars, what makes the most power/ best sound? don't mind it being very loud.

Appreciate any advice, thanks!
As you are no doubt aware, you can do as much to your exhaust system as you're willing to spend.

About a year ago, I picked up some used resonated HHR 2nd cat delete bypass pipes for a good price and had them installed. I have a 2014 CTTS that doesn't have PSE. I've noticed that startup and idle has more of a bass rumble with the bypass pipes installed; pleasing to me. Doesn't sound that different under load compared to stock and there's no drone at any speed (up to about 100 mph). I'd like to think that I feel turbos kicking in a little earlier with bypass pipes installed but will admit that may be wishful thinking on my part. Haven't had any issues with CEL. For me, cost benefit of used pipes was worth it; not so sure I'd have sprung for full retail. YMMV.

FWIW, the guy that sold me the 2nd cat bypass pipes was going to redo the entire exhaust on his Cayenne Turbo to get a more aggressive sound.

Another opinion: I've heard PSE on a Boxster (mine), 911, and Cayenne and have been surprised at how different the sound(s) is comparing the different platforms. On my Boxster, PSE engaged sounds angry and raw, on a 911 somewhat muted but still there, and on a Cayenne I barely noticed any diff at all. Again, just my opinion; should listen for yourself.

Haven't done a tune and, considering that transfer case failures seem to be more prevalent in the turbos than NA Cayenne, I'm somewhat reluctant to do one. At this point, looking more at doing a tune on my Boxster (2015 GTS) when it goes out of warranty next year.

Old 12-04-2018, 06:12 PM
TrackAddict997 is a jewel in the roughTrackAddict997 is a jewel in the roughTrackAddict997 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by DrBillyD
As you are no doubt aware, you can do as much to your exhaust system as you're willing to spend.

About a year ago, I picked up some used resonated HHR 2nd cat delete bypass pipes for a good price and had them installed. I have a 2014 CTTS that doesn't have PSE. I've noticed that startup and idle has more of a bass rumble with the bypass pipes installed; pleasing to me. Doesn't sound that different under load compared to stock and there's no drone at any speed (up to about 100 mph). I'd like to think that I feel turbos kicking in a little earlier with bypass pipes installed but will admit that may be wishful thinking on my part. Haven't had any issues with CEL. For me, cost benefit of used pipes was worth it; not so sure I'd have sprung for full retail. YMMV.

FWIW, the guy that sold me the 2nd cat bypass pipes was going to redo the entire exhaust on his Cayenne Turbo to get a more aggressive sound.

Another opinion: I've heard PSE on a Boxster (mine), 911, and Cayenne and have been surprised at how different the sound(s) is comparing the different platforms. On my Boxster, PSE engaged sounds angry and raw, on a 911 somewhat muted but still there, and on a Cayenne I barely noticed any diff at all. Again, just my opinion; should listen for yourself.

Haven't done a tune and, considering that transfer case failures seem to be more prevalent in the turbos than NA Cayenne, I'm somewhat reluctant to do one. At this point, looking more at doing a tune on my Boxster (2015 GTS) when it goes out of warranty next year.
Very much appreciate the response!

So are you running the factory muffler after the secondary cat delete pipes? I Was thinking about going straight out from the 2nd delete pipes.. I am looking for a pretty aggressive sound. In my research I see mostly 2nd cat deletes being done, does anyone do the primary cats on these trucks?

Old 12-05-2018, 01:20 PM
DrBillyD is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes, factory exhaust and mufflers downstream from 2nd cat bypass pipes.

If you're looking for the most aggressive sound you can get, I'd think you'd need to almost completely redo the exhaust, i.e. 2nd cat delete, use 3" diameter pipe, and aftermarket muffler.... or even no muffler??? Like I said in earlier post, you can spend as much as you want. Fabspeed and other vendors have promo videos that you've probably seen. Personally, if I were going to lay out the cash for what it seems you're after, I'd want to see, feel and especially hear it in person.

I'm not aware of anyone making/doing primary cat deletes for Cayenne platform (i.e. no "race headers" as for 911's, Cayman/Boxster) but they may be out there. Wouldn't surprise me if replacing primary cats required dropping the engine ($$$).

Old 12-29-2018, 12:57 PM
Clubrcr is a glorious beacon of lightClubrcr is a glorious beacon of lightClubrcr is a glorious beacon of lightClubrcr is a glorious beacon of lightClubrcr is a glorious beacon of light
I have a 2016 CTT. I also did the resonated cat pass on the secondary cats. I had the Porsche dealer add PSE. I felt having the factory PSE button would give me the benefit of an aggressive sound, but never worry about it being loud when I turned off the PSE. I have the best of both worlds. When I have it in Sport and Sport Plus, the it pops and crackles. It sounds great and I believe I feel the turbos spool up a little quicker as well.

Bottom line, it is all about the amount of $ you want to spend.

Old 02-27-2019, 09:07 PM
marinerbc is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Clubrcr
I have a 2016 CTT. I also did the resonated cat pass on the secondary cats. I had the Porsche dealer add PSE. I felt having the factory PSE button would give me the benefit of an aggressive sound, but never worry about it being loud when I turned off the PSE. I have the best of both worlds. When I have it in Sport and Sport Plus, the it pops and crackles. It sounds great and I believe I feel the turbos spool up a little quicker as well.

Bottom line, it is all about the amount of $ you want to spend.
Did you go for the 2.5" or 3" resonated cat bypass ? i have 2016 CTT with the PSE installed and 3" resonated from HHR on the way.
or is it a mistake and should have gone with the 2.5" ?
also i did get a piggy back tune installed tried it once in idle, around town and in WOT with the sport/+ mode and it sounded very nice for my taste..
not sure if the 3" CAT bypass will add much to that, hope it will.

Old 02-28-2019, 03:40 PM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
Hi Trackaddict,

Congrats on the TTS!

We offer a full Performance Package for the 958 Turbo S that includes our Secondary Catbypass Pipes, Maxflo Performance Exhaust, ECU Tune and BMC Filters.

This setup typically picks up 75+whp/100ft-lbs along with improvements in exhaust tone (throaty & refined) and better throttle response/more linear powerband. No CELs either (Secondary Cats are not monitored/read by the ECU).

Check out this video, which is a good demonstration of how this setup sounds:

https://www.fabspeed.com/porsche-958...mance-package/

Please let me know if you have any questions of if you'd like to discuss further! I'd also be happy to hook up fellow 6Speed members with forum pricing

Old 02-28-2019, 07:27 PM
Clubrcr is a glorious beacon of lightClubrcr is a glorious beacon of lightClubrcr is a glorious beacon of lightClubrcr is a glorious beacon of lightClubrcr is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by marinerbc
Did you go for the 2.5" or 3" resonated cat bypass ? i have 2016 CTT with the PSE installed and 3" resonated from HHR on the way.
or is it a mistake and should have gone with the 2.5" ?
also i did get a piggy back tune installed tried it once in idle, around town and in WOT with the sport/+ mode and it sounded very nice for my taste..
not sure if the 3" CAT bypass will add much to that, hope it will.
I went with the 2.5" and they sound amazing with or without the PSE on.

Old 02-28-2019, 08:23 PM
marinerbc is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Clubrcr
I went with the 2.5" and they sound amazing with or without the PSE on.
nice to hear that , I went with the 3” resonated in a hope to have a deeper throatier sound .amd also allow for the future mid pipes upgrade