Yet another coolant pipe issue..please advise, thx!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 02:39 PM
mq1predmc is on a distinguished road
Yet another coolant pipe issue..please advise, thx!

Quick back story: So I am driving and a guy in front of me slows down for no real apparent reason (don't you hate that) on the freeway and so I wanted to get over to next lane but before I could, here comes this 745i zooming so I have to wait and get over eventually and downshifted to pass properly with enough speed.. up comes the lovely red light 'Check Coolant Level'. Pull over, no leak, temp looks ok so I proceeded home fine and got their the next few mins..

Next morning same light comes on after I check the coolant and brought it just above min..after about a mile or so of leaving my house. Turned around and came back home. Still no leaks but can smell heated coolant and see a little steam rising. Knew what it was after reading all of the horror stories (some worse than mine) on the forum. They have been helpful though in educating me about what to expect when the coolant pipes blow. I did not hear any sound though like some have mentioned, nor did I get any wild spray of coolant everywhere. But what's weird is my temp gauge went from the middle to slightly right steadily increasing, then zips back to cold again (?!) before I headed back home to shut her off. Still no massive leakage on the garage floor.

I guess this is a symptom of pipes failing but I hope its not something else in addition. Have been calling around the Houston area and searching the forum but I cannot find a place that can replace them for less than the "stealers" $2500. I have read on here that that is gouging. The excuse I got from one dealer was that these are genuine Porsche OEM parts blah blah blah.. I am not too tech savvy on cars but with the wealth of help that you guys on this forum provide I might just give it a shot to save +/-$1500 and learn something while I am at it.

Has anyone found a great indy that could do it for a decent non marked up price? Or is it simple enough to set aside 5-7 hrs to DIY? What tool set would I need btw? Thanks in advance all!

Old 08-07-2013, 03:33 PM
JSavinoJr has a spectacular aura aboutJSavinoJr has a spectacular aura aboutJSavinoJr has a spectacular aura about
Buy the kit from ECS Tuning for just a bit over $500 for a complete kit. They also have a very detailed DIY with all the tools needed etc......Good luck,it doesn't look hard,but the hardest part is getting over the fact that you will be taking apart the top of the motor. I had to get over that fear when changing my AOS on my 996. Just take your time.

Old 08-14-2013, 05:58 AM
calas75 is on a distinguished road
What model years have this plastic coolant pipe problems? Wondering since I have a '08 v6

Old 08-14-2013, 02:00 PM
JSavinoJr has a spectacular aura aboutJSavinoJr has a spectacular aura aboutJSavinoJr has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by calas75
What model years have this plastic coolant pipe problems? Wondering since I have a '08 v6
Pretty sure it was from 03-06 in the v8 "S" models.

Old 08-14-2013, 02:40 PM
XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JSavinoJr
Pretty sure it was from 03-06 in the v8 "S" models.
Both S and Turbo from '03-'06.

Old 08-14-2013, 06:07 PM
h00pak is on a distinguished road
sweet!

I'm an XR guy too (well, was)!

Old 08-15-2013, 07:32 AM
XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by h00pak
I'm an XR guy too (well, was)!
I don't have one anymore either, but I'll probably get another someday.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:10 PM
Cynthia_Lopez is on a distinguished road
BMW N62 V8 Coolant Pipe Repair Kit

Hello,

I am writing to tell you about a new BREAKTHROUGH method for repairing a leaking Coolant Transfer Pipe in the BMW N62 V8 engine block using the BimmerFix Stint. The N62 V8 is a popular BMW engine that was used from 2002 thru 2010, in such fabulous vehicles as the BMW 735i, 740i, 745i, 750i & Li, 645Ci, 650i, 540i, 545i, 550i, and the X5 SUV.

Located deep inside of this BMW N62 engine is a Coolant Transfer Pipe, which carries antifreeze from the Water Pump to cooling chambers within the engine. However, the Front Seal on this Cooling Tube can fail in as little as 40,000 miles, and start leaking antifreeze from the engine block, through a weep hole in the Timing Chain Cover. When this happens, the car will lose antifreeze from the engine, and the engine will overheat.

In the past, this has been a very expensive repair because it required disassembly of the engine, in order to access the leaking Cooling Pipe Seal. The original method of replacing the crossover Coolant Transfer Pipe required the removal of the Timing Chain Cover. This repair could cost $6,000 or more at the BMW Dealer.

Then, an after-market Collapsible Coolant Pipe was developed to save time and money on this repair. This Collapsible Coolant Pipe method involves removing the Intake Manifold, cutting out the old Coolant Pipe and installing the after-market Collapsible Coolant Pipe. But even this method required many hours of shop labor and expensive parts and supplies. The repair bill for this method can still cost between $1,500.00 and $2,500.00 to remove the Intake Manifold, cut out the old Coolant Pipe and install the new Collapsible Coolant Pipe.

However, BimmerFix Products Co. has discovered a BREAKTHROUGH system to stop the leak! The BimmerFix method is much faster and less expensive than these old methods. This simple, yet durable and long lasting method inserts the BimmerFix Stint into the leaking crossover cooling tube, through the Timing Chain Cover. The thin aluminum sleeve creates a long lasting repair that is much easier and less expensive to install than the old repair methods.

The new BimmerFix Stint will stop the Coolant Pipe leak, and only requires the removal of the Water Pump. This new patent protected invention can save YOU or your customer’s time, hassle, and thousands of dollars. It works or your money back!

Save time and money! Take a look at www.BimmerFix.com.

Watch The Video! You will be glad you did!

Thanks for your time!

BimmerFix Products Co.

Tucson, Arizona, USA

Old 04-23-2014, 12:10 AM
machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Cynthia_Lopez
Hello,

I am writing to tell you about a new BREAKTHROUGH method for repairing a leaking Coolant Transfer Pipe in the BMW N62 V8 engine block using the BimmerFix Stint. The N62 V8 is a popular BMW engine that was used from 2002 thru 2010, in such fabulous vehicles as the BMW 735i, 740i, 745i, 750i & Li, 645Ci, 650i, 540i, 545i, 550i, and the X5 SUV.

Located deep inside of this BMW N62 engine is a Coolant Transfer Pipe, which carries antifreeze from the Water Pump to cooling chambers within the engine. However, the Front Seal on this Cooling Tube can fail in as little as 40,000 miles, and start leaking antifreeze from the engine block, through a weep hole in the Timing Chain Cover. When this happens, the car will lose antifreeze from the engine, and the engine will overheat.

In the past, this has been a very expensive repair because it required disassembly of the engine, in order to access the leaking Cooling Pipe Seal. The original method of replacing the crossover Coolant Transfer Pipe required the removal of the Timing Chain Cover. This repair could cost $6,000 or more at the BMW Dealer.

Then, an after-market Collapsible Coolant Pipe was developed to save time and money on this repair. This Collapsible Coolant Pipe method involves removing the Intake Manifold, cutting out the old Coolant Pipe and installing the after-market Collapsible Coolant Pipe. But even this method required many hours of shop labor and expensive parts and supplies. The repair bill for this method can still cost between $1,500.00 and $2,500.00 to remove the Intake Manifold, cut out the old Coolant Pipe and install the new Collapsible Coolant Pipe.

However, BimmerFix Products Co. has discovered a BREAKTHROUGH system to stop the leak! The BimmerFix method is much faster and less expensive than these old methods. This simple, yet durable and long lasting method inserts the BimmerFix Stint into the leaking crossover cooling tube, through the Timing Chain Cover. The thin aluminum sleeve creates a long lasting repair that is much easier and less expensive to install than the old repair methods.

The new BimmerFix Stint will stop the Coolant Pipe leak, and only requires the removal of the Water Pump. This new patent protected invention can save YOU or your customer’s time, hassle, and thousands of dollars. It works or your money back!

Save time and money! Take a look at www.BimmerFix.com.

Watch The Video! You will be glad you did! BMW N62 V-8 Cooling Pipe Repair System by BimmerFix. For BMW 745i, 645ci, 545i, X5 & more. - YouTube

Thanks for your time!

BimmerFix Products Co.

Tucson, Arizona, USA
Ummmm you do know this is a Porsche Cayenne forum??? WTF

Old 04-27-2014, 11:52 AM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Welcome to the forum Cynthia but............. you need to go get a Porsche. Or, repost this in the MBW forum.