V6 Exhaust w/o welding

Old 09-15-2013, 06:38 PM
D_T_A is on a distinguished road
V6 Exhaust w/o welding

Hello,

I've been searching for an aftermarket exhaust for my V6 2012 Cayenne.

Other than PSE (Porsche's Sport Exhaust) I could only find Agency Power and Remus exhausts for the V6 Cayenne. However, both of the aforementioned exhausts require cutting the OEM mufflers and welding the new one.

Is there any exhaust for V6 958 that does not need welding? (i.e., direct bolt-on?)

Please help me finding a way to make my cayenne sound better.

Best,

HW

Old 09-15-2013, 09:14 PM
TheBeav will become famous soon enough
Dont have my cayenne anymore, but I think superSprint makes an exhaust for the v6. Check their website.

Old 09-16-2013, 08:12 AM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
I do not know of any replacement exhaust muffler for the Cayenne that must be welded. Most of them come with band clamps made specifically to join the cut exhaust pipe with the replacement muffler. If they are not included, you can buy them separately. In this situation, I am sure can opt to weld in the muffler instead.

By chance, if you are saying that you do not want to cut anything. Then that will a problem since the stock system is not that modular. Meaning that the rear muffler and the midpipes are all one-piece which cover about 2/3ths of the distance of the Cayenne. Hence why all the replacement options say to cut the factory exhaust for logistical purposes.

Old 09-16-2013, 03:21 PM
Thank you for the response.

I did not know that I had to cut the exhaust. The mufflers I found were made for V8/hybrid engines and they include clamps. However, V6 mid-pipes are thinner than those of V8/hybrid cayennes and it might lead to leak if I just use the clamps for the exhausts. I now see that it is not bid deal to have to weld as I will have to cut the pipes in the first place.

I hope to find a system that removes the entire catback so that I won't have to cut the mid-pipes. I want to be able to revert it back to stock when it comes the time to sell this SUV.

Old 09-16-2013, 03:39 PM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by D_T_A
Thank you for the response.

I did not know that I had to cut the exhaust. The mufflers I found were made for V8/hybrid engines and they include clamps. However, V6 mid-pipes are thinner than those of V8/hybrid cayennes and it might lead to leak if I just use the clamps for the exhausts. I now see that it is not bid deal to have to weld as I will have to cut the pipes in the first place.

I hope to find a system that removes the entire catback so that I won't have to cut the mid-pipes. I want to be able to revert it back to stock when it comes the time to sell this SUV.
That make sense. You can always get flat band clamps to attach two dissimilar exhaust sizes(ie. 2.5" to 2.25"). I think you will have a hard time once again finding a company to offer the midsection and muffler together. Unless you are trying to replace everything after the primary DPs and store the factory OEM system.

Here is a pic of my factory midpipe and muffler from another thread that shows the issue of it being not very modular in design:

Attached Images  
Old 09-24-2013, 09:23 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Go to any good exhaust shop and they will help you design/install a better sounding exhaust set up. It may only need a muffler swap which would be pretty cheap. Otherwise have them to a Gundo Hack and for about $250 you'll have your factory set up and a better sound.

Attached Images  

Last edited by denversteve; 09-25-2013 at 07:23 PM.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:14 PM
denversteve,

Thank you for chiming in.

As you can see in the photo, Cayenne have one big muffler at the back.
Would the Gundo Hack be done where the dual pipes connect to the muffler?
So, unlike, 911's, Cayenne 958 will have one crossover area. Right?

Best,

Old 09-25-2013, 07:10 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by D_T_A
denversteve, Thank you for chiming in. As you can see in the photo, Cayenne have one big muffler at the back.
Yep. I'm very familiar with them as I own one and have raced two. You bypass it on both sides from where the intake enters the muffler to the outlet. It works great.

Attached Images  

Last edited by denversteve; 09-25-2013 at 07:29 PM.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:41 PM
Thank you,

I will give it a try !

Old 09-26-2013, 10:56 AM
rymo926 is on a distinguished road
I have a v6, got it done sometime ago and it sound awesome. I connected the 2nd inlet and bypass as pictured above. All for like $150

Old 10-12-2013, 01:27 PM
Finally took some pic of it.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	80-img_8913_2904880712529b1fa050f4d84b9ba2e1f39baf3a.jpg
Views:	3559
Size:	279.8 KB
ID:	289510   Click image for larger version

Name:	80-img_8914_e9a24fe992cb568fa96967339cabc77e67fe69ab.jpg
Views:	3718
Size:	213.5 KB
ID:	289511   Click image for larger version

Name:	80-img_8915_78a3c52f8f2fea2724b11798405961f79e46b62e.jpg
Views:	3506
Size:	314.4 KB
ID:	289512   Click image for larger version

Name:	80-img_8917_56e171fd34ca79e5c2739c461e03f75c4dd5449d.jpg
Views:	3630
Size:	204.0 KB
ID:	289513  
Old 10-12-2013, 06:17 PM
Thanks a lot for the photos.
Do you mind me in what city the exhaust shop was?

Old 10-12-2013, 06:28 PM
san francisco but any city can do it. I've done similar in san bruno, mountain view and sunnyvale.

Old 06-02-2016, 02:17 PM
dokebi1221 is an unknown quantity at this point
Revived this thread, because I am very interested doing this hack to my 12 CH. Before my CH, I had Audi S8 V10 and I loved everything about it. I know I can't make my CH to sound like my S8, but I'd like to add some noise to my exhaust. That being said, I have couple questions to ask the forum.

1. The people normally went with 2" pipes to do the hack, but can I go with 1.5" or 1" pipe instead? Will it be quieter going smaller pipes? I'm just afraid sound might be too loud or fart can-ish with 2"...I can't find any clips with Cayenne with 2" hack.

2. Will it fail inspection with this hack?

3. Any good shop you guys recommend doing this hack in northern NJ?

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-06-2016, 12:07 AM
Here's a vid. It's near the end. I think I used 2.5 to y pipe into the other inlet and 1.5 for the partial muff bypass

http://youtu.be/sOkNc3tKCtY

Originally Posted by dokebi1221
Revived this thread, because I am very interested doing this hack to my 12 CH. Before my CH, I had Audi S8 V10 and I loved everything about it. I know I can't make my CH to sound like my S8, but I'd like to add some noise to my exhaust. That being said, I have couple questions to ask the forum.

1. The people normally went with 2" pipes to do the hack, but can I go with 1.5" or 1" pipe instead? Will it be quieter going smaller pipes? I'm just afraid sound might be too loud or fart can-ish with 2"...I can't find any clips with Cayenne with 2" hack.

2. Will it fail inspection with this hack?

3. Any good shop you guys recommend doing this hack in northern NJ?

Thanks in advance!

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: V6 Exhaust w/o welding