Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Using Optimum No Rinse

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 04:29 PM
Rob in KC has a brilliant futureRob in KC has a brilliant futureRob in KC has a brilliant futureRob in KC has a brilliant futureRob in KC has a brilliant futureRob in KC has a brilliant futureRob in KC has a brilliant futureRob in KC has a brilliant futureRob in KC has a brilliant futureRob in KC has a brilliant futureRob in KC has a brilliant future
Using Optimum No Rinse

So I've just started using Optimum No Rinse car wash (purchased from Phil).

It seems to work pretty good, but it is much different than washing by traditional methods. So, I've got a few questions for those who have experience with ONR.

First, can you still use other chemicals with ONR, such as P21S for cleaning wheels and wheel wells? I'm a little nervous about getting residual chemicals in the wash bucket and then having them potentially get on the rest of the car. Although now with ONR, I am washing the wheels last, rather than first to keep the water relatively clean.

Second, my wash mitt is fairly dirty after washing, unlike being relatively clean when using soap and water. I'm using a fluffy chenille microfiber mitt. Is this ok to use, or should something with a shorter nap be used that might not hold as much dirt? Also, since the mitt gets dirty, I presume it would be wise to wash it in the washing machine after each use?

So far I really like the time savings and environmental benefits of using ONR. Just going to take a little time to learn some new techniques. I haven't noticed any adverse affects from using the rinseless wash.

Old 04-06-2008, 06:46 PM
Pats300zx is on a distinguished road
I have switched to using a grout sponge with ONR. I used to use a 100% chenille mitt but find that the grout sponge is much softer and rinses so much cleaner. For the price the grout sponge can't be beat.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:04 PM
JoshVette is on a distinguished road
I have heard of a lot of good with ONR, but only a hand full of bad, mainly getting swirls back, probably cause the mitts hold too much dirt as you mentioned.

I've used it myself and just don't care for it.

It's okay on garage queens, but I wouldn't trust it against a car with real dirt on it.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:07 AM
MrBonus will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by JoshVette
I have heard of a lot of good with ONR, but only a hand full of bad, mainly getting swirls back, probably cause the mitts hold too much dirt as you mentioned.

I've used it myself and just don't care for it.

It's okay on garage queens, but I wouldn't trust it against a car with real dirt on it.
I use it regularly on my car(s), even my 31,000 mile 997S which was daily driven in all four seasons. I've yet to have any issues even with heavy road grime or salt.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:33 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MrBonus
I use it regularly on my car(s), even my 31,000 mile 997S which was daily driven in all four seasons. I've yet to have any issues even with heavy road grime or salt.
Ian, is there a way you can take some photos in a garage using flash? I've heard mixed reviews of ONR and am still skeptic as to swirls and scratches. You car looks great, just wanted to see the paint close up after a wash.

Old 04-13-2008, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by MoeMistry
Ian, is there a way you can take some photos in a garage using flash? I've heard mixed reviews of ONR and am still skeptic as to swirls and scratches. You car looks great, just wanted to see the paint close up after a wash.
I am actually in the office but I'll do my best later when I get home!

Old 04-13-2008, 07:03 PM
I know what you're looking for but my garage is simply too dark and my camera isn't up to snuff to give it to you. There are a few micro-fine scratches here and there, mostly from road debris, but there is no pattern of swirls on my car anywhere that I can find.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:48 AM
Stealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond repute
Are you using it as a car wash, or a waterless car wash?

You should have 2 buckets, or rinse the bucket after doing the top of the car. Yes, the wash mitt will get dirty, do one panel, put in your wash bucket, clean the mitt off, & then use the 2nd bucket before doing another panel. Or just rinse out the bucket after doing half the car, & be careful not to pick up dirt from the bucket.

Do the wheels & really dirty stuff last. If the car is really dirty, like after driving in the rain, or getting any kind of mud on it. You should do a normal wash, & not the waterless one, it's really just for normal sunny weather type dirt.

Old 04-19-2008, 02:08 AM
kb798 is on a distinguished road
I used QEW many years ago and switched over to ONR several years ago, and I'm definitely a convert from the traditional washing method to waterless washing. I don't run a pro detailing business, but I'm a Autopian to the death so I hope that gives me credibility when I attest to the abilities of ONR. Granted, a true Autopian won't let his car go unwashed more than every week, but I use the following method about once a month which hasn't induced any swirls on my cars from what I can tell.

Products
  • 2 buckets with about 7-10 capfuls (generous when the car is dirtier) and 10 squirts of QD in each bucket
  • bottle sprayer with about 2-3 capfuls and 5
    squirts of QD in the bottle
  • Microfiber towel in each bucket
  • Waffle weave towel(s)
Technique
  1. I spray the area that I'll be washing with the bottle sprayer to prime the surface
  2. I'll fold the towel into 1/4s, and drag on the surface lightly going in the direction of wind flow over the car
  3. I'll switch to a new side of the towel after each drag
  4. After completing a roughly 2'x2' section on the car, I'll blot dry with a waffle weave towel
  5. I like to save the lower portions of the car for last when the towels are the least dirtiest so that you minimize your chances of marring
  6. Keep in mind that you can use as many towels and as many buckets as you like if it makes you feel more comfortable
I was sort of forced to find alternative solutions to using a hose and regular car wash soap since I live in a condo, and this product has been an absolute lifesaver. On a daily driver, you're bound to get marring anyway, but this has really been a great compromise to time, efficiency, and water conservation compared to a traditional wash.

Last edited by kb798; 04-19-2008 at 02:10 AM.