Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Driveway wash . . . in MN . . . in winter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 07:20 PM
JonC4S is a splendid one to beholdJonC4S is a splendid one to beholdJonC4S is a splendid one to beholdJonC4S is a splendid one to beholdJonC4S is a splendid one to beholdJonC4S is a splendid one to behold
Driveway wash . . . in MN . . . in winter

OK, here is something different. I know that most of you are blessed with the pristine weather of California, but someone has to hold down the fort in the rest of the states! I drive my C4S through most of the winter. Even on the best of days, it will pick up salt residue.

Here is the before. Lots of salt residue!

Luckily, our laundry tub is next to our garage, so a few dollars worth of parts and a hole thorough the wall under the laundry tub and I have warm water in the garage.

For the underbody wash you really should check out this nozzle from Griots. It has adjustable angle and length, and a nice fan shaped spray.

Nice beading, but there's a catch--it's partially frozen.

So, inside for an espresso while the car thaws out in the garage. FYI, I have Peet's Garuda Blend sent via FedEx about every 2 weeks.

Of course, this is what makes it possible. This is the first time I have had a heated garage!

One downside--a serious ice patch in the turn-around.

And, the final product safe and warm. And with a trickle charger in place.

PS: Why do this at home? We live about 10 miles from the nearest self-wash location, so the car would be a mess by the time I made it home. This technique has worked as long as the temp is over 20 F.

:cheers:

Last edited by JonC4S; 01-23-2009 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:12 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
That's awesome!! Great job and I commend you as a fellow detailaholic. Oh, anyone who'se a Peet's aficionado is also a friend in my book. We did have a little drizzle today down in Southern California, but it soon cleared up and it wa in the 70s. Talk about bad weather

Old 01-23-2009, 07:18 AM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
You are nuts!

Old 01-23-2009, 10:18 AM
Banned
Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by LUISGT3
You are nuts!

Old 01-23-2009, 03:37 PM
alevine has a spectacular aura aboutalevine has a spectacular aura about
Is that wallpaper on the garage walls or paint? It looks nice. Great idea by the way.

Old 01-23-2009, 03:50 PM
TrickedOut101 is on a distinguished road
That's some detailing job!

I like the look of a clean vehicle too, I can't stand anything being dirty.. once I detailed our seven passenger SUV in -8 degree weather, everything instantaneously froze.. I had to park it in the garage and next morning all the ice turned into water with exception to the roof which was still covered in ice. I'm never doing that again, today was around 0 degrees, so I decided to give it a nice detail today and it turned out great.

I just want summer to come already!

Old 01-23-2009, 03:51 PM
BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !
looks great! i feel your pain by washing in the snow! when we were snowed out in seattle a few weeks ago i bundled up in about 10 layers just to go out and wash my girl!

the things we do for love! =D

Old 01-23-2009, 03:59 PM
JonC4S is a splendid one to beholdJonC4S is a splendid one to beholdJonC4S is a splendid one to beholdJonC4S is a splendid one to beholdJonC4S is a splendid one to beholdJonC4S is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by alevine
Is that wallpaper on the garage walls or paint? It looks nice. Great idea by the way.
Hey thanks everyone. Just thought a little different take on detailing was in order. Plus I am REALLY sick of winter. Typically we have cold but not these "nuisance snows" where we get just enough to keep the roads sloppy. But the Blizzaks work great.

Another couple of notes: I warm the car up with a drive then leave it in the garage for about 30 minutes to let the outside warm up just a little.

Also, after washing, do NOT leave the handbrake on. Found this one out the hard way.

By the way, the interior walls are rather unique. We have a friend that has a business that uses very high grade plywood, but results in a lot of uniform sized cutoffs. So they gave us the cutoffs and we used them as paneling. It's about 3/4 inch so strong enough to mount anything too. We stained and urethaned it for a finish.

PS: That Griot's nozzle is my all time favorite for cleaning. Try is sometime!

Last edited by JonC4S; 01-23-2009 at 06:12 PM.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:17 PM
wirelessdude04 is on a distinguished road
niceeeee lov the BBS wheels

Old 01-31-2009, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by wirelessdude04
niceeeee lov the BBS wheels
Thanks--up here the Blizzaks are on from 4 to 5 months, so thought I might as well have some nice wheels to ease the pain . . .

Old 02-06-2009, 01:23 PM
skiwi is on a distinguished road
I live outside of Aspen, Colorado and also have to deal with washing my cars in winter conditions. I do this with a pressure washer that is supplied hot water from the Hot water heater drain faucet. This works great. To avoid creating an ice rink, I clear away an area of snow on the lawn next to the driveway to wash on.

Last edited by skiwi; 02-06-2009 at 01:26 PM.