Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Autoflex coating vs clear bra wrap

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 02:01 PM
sansan is on a distinguished road
Autoflex coating vs clear bra wrap

Hi Guys,

Just throwing this question out there cause I haven't seen it covered. There is a new product out there that is a spray on removable wrap. Unlike Plastidip, it is supposed to cure as a hard surface that can be waxed.

I was thinking if you just layered this product to get a few mil thickness and it had a high gloss, it would be a great alternative to PPF.

I have 2 cars with PPF now. One is Xpel Ultimate the other Suntek. They look pretty awesome but again, if you try to find an edge, you can.

Seems like this would cost less than getting full PPF on a car and you would have no worries about seam lines.

They do make colored products as well so you could simulate vinyl wrapping a car with this spray on product. Again, biggest difference would be the lack of seams.

Any thoughts? Anyone have experience with Autoflex yet?

There is a specific product that seems to target PPF. Autoflex Spray Shield.

Thanks!!

Last edited by sansan; 07-28-2016 at 02:03 PM.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:24 PM
my1960apache is on a distinguished road
I am with you on this train of thought and just waiting to see more results of people using it, paint protection film has just gotten way out of control price wise, I guess I am just getting stingy, $1600-$2500 for a 2-4 hour job and $300 worth of material works out to something like $300-$600 per hour, even a good attorney doesn't make that, and the results of the installs I have seen, forget that! In defense of some great installers that do incredible work I can justify it for the good PPF install, paint correction and OptiCoat type applications make maintenance on a black car worth it.

The main problem I see with the Autoflex is lack of qualified installers, you really need a paint booth to do it properly and it would only look good on a brand new car without any chips or damage. The second is masking the jambs, a door or hood is easy with an edge to spray off from and I am not sure if any kind of tape would peel off of the inside edge of the door jambs etc.

Anyway, I think there is a huge market out there in SoCal and I keep thinking of starting a small shop to mainly do the Autoflex in addition to higher end auto restorations, but finding good, reliable, honest help without having to supervise them keeps me from doing anything! But the alternatives like dip and vinyl which are not too expensive, and PPF already has a market presence and history, but I think over time Autoflex type products will work into the marketplace. Most cars have decent factory paint but I have been looking at black BMW's with a lot of orange peel on certain parts of the car would be a good candidate for a few good coats of Autoflex cut and buffed would be amazing looking but I am not sure of the cost for a shop to do it, time will tell I guess! Just my 2 cents!