Ferrari Discussion on everything Ferrari related; F40, F50, Enzo, F430, Testarossa, to the Ferrari 599, 458

Just added an F40 to the garage - a few pics

Old 10-03-2008, 06:35 PM
RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !
Stunning...congratulations.

Old 10-03-2008, 07:14 PM
Willmiz is on a distinguished road
Wow! Beautiful car, congrats!

Sorta random question, but has the lack of a stereo bothered you any bit?

Old 10-03-2008, 07:22 PM
peloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Willmiz
Wow! Beautiful car, congrats!

Sorta random question, but has the lack of a stereo bothered you any bit?
There is a righteous 8-speaker system with two highly boosted subwoofers sitting about 6 inches behind my head. That's all the stereo I want in this car. Also, the sound system is always turned up full blast.

But I don't know how I'm going to live without cupholders...

Old 10-03-2008, 09:35 PM
SINISTR has a spectacular aura aboutSINISTR has a spectacular aura aboutSINISTR has a spectacular aura about
Congrats! The F40 is THE icon.

Old 10-03-2008, 10:04 PM
Kuzi is a splendid one to beholdKuzi is a splendid one to beholdKuzi is a splendid one to beholdKuzi is a splendid one to beholdKuzi is a splendid one to beholdKuzi is a splendid one to behold
Congrats! The F40 is the epitome of Ferrari. The very heart and soul of what Enzo had envisioned before his passing.

Enjoy in the best of health.

Old 10-03-2008, 10:14 PM
peloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud of
Thanks for the congrats from all of you. Track photos coming later in the month, but here are a few more parked shots:

Attached Images      
Old 10-03-2008, 10:14 PM
MeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of light
Congratulations on owning the best and most iconic supercar on the road today, all of the cars you see today were following the F40's supreme in your face 80's look. I cant think of any supercar that grabs my attention as much as the F40, its just the creme de la creme in supercar territory in terms of looks and heritage.

Enjoy it in the best of health, thank you for sharing with us. I have really enjoyed your narrative.

Old 10-03-2008, 10:24 PM
Kuzi is a splendid one to beholdKuzi is a splendid one to beholdKuzi is a splendid one to beholdKuzi is a splendid one to beholdKuzi is a splendid one to beholdKuzi is a splendid one to behold
I am in the same camp as you Pel as far as keeping the car as close to stock as possible. The only thing that I couldn't live with was the F40s OEM exhaust. By going to LM straight pipes not only did I save substantial weight but the exhaust sounds are very much improved!. Just a thought for you.

Here is my beast at home

Attached Images  
Old 10-03-2008, 10:35 PM
Originally Posted by MeanMachine
Congratulations on owning the best and most iconic supercar on the road today, all of the cars you see today were following the F40's supreme in your face 80's look. I cant think of any supercar that grabs my attention as much as the F40, its just the creme de la creme in supercar territory in terms of looks and heritage.

Enjoy it in the best of health, thank you for sharing with us. I have really enjoyed your narrative.
MeanMachine - Good point you raise, though many would argue it no doubt. Having gone for another drive this afternoon, this time I came away struck by how much the electronics and power-everything and safety gear that has been added to cars since the 80's has done to actually dull and detract from the purity of driving experience we all seek. An example is shifting: the CGT, once you get the hang of clutch release from a standing start, has a superb gearbox. Shifter right at shoulder height, and very short throws. Putting six cogs into a such a narrow slot on the center console is a real work of art. I kept thinking I'd surely miss gears with the tight spacing, but the CGT has always shifted better and faster than I am as a driver. Piece of cake.

The F40 on the other hand hearkens shifting back to the good old days. An extremely stiff clutch pedal and the requirement to be very deliberate in gear selection. Once fully warmed up (which takes quite a while) the 5 speed is pretty straightforward and the 3-2 downshift (shoving straight forward in the H pattern) with a nice heel-toe is a delight. As with the CGT, a very minimal flywheel, so throttle blips are quick and very natural. But unlike the CGT, you've got to pay attention all the time. And isn't that what modern cars with all their wonders have tended to take away from car enthusiasts? Not just the ability to be involved all the time, but the absolute requirement to do so. Once one gets a taste of that intimacy, it's hard to let go.

Attached Images   
Old 10-03-2008, 10:38 PM
Originally Posted by Kuzi
I am in the same camp as you Pel as far as keeping the car as close to stock as possible. The only thing that I couldn't live with was the F40s OEM exhaust. By going to LM straight pipes not only did I save substantial weight but the exhaust sounds are very much improved!. Just a thought for you.

Here is my beast at home
Kuzi -

You've got a beauty of an F40 there, for sure. And yes I've been thinking about a Tubi, especially since it is so trivial to install and then remove to get back to stock if so desired. So which Tubi did you get? The ones with the little in-line mufflers or the straight pipes? The weight savings wouldn't hurt either, I agree. Thanks.

Old 10-03-2008, 10:43 PM
MeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by peloton
MeanMachine - Good point you raise, though many would argue it no doubt. Having gone for another drive this afternoon, this time I came away struck by how much the electronics and power-everything and safety gear that has been added to cars since the 80's has done to actually dull and detract from the purity of driving experience we all seek. An example is shifting: the CGT, once you get the hang of clutch release from a standing start, has a superb gearbox. Shifter right at shoulder height, and very short throws. Putting six cogs into a such a narrow slot on the center console is a real work of art. I kept thinking I'd surely miss gears with the tight spacing, but the CGT has always shifted better and faster than I am as a driver. Piece of cake.

The F40 on the other hand hearkens shifting back to the good old days. An extremely stiff clutch pedal and the requirement to be very deliberate in gear selection. Once fully warmed up (which takes quite a while) the 5 speed is pretty straightforward and the 3-2 downshift (shoving straight forward in the H pattern) with a nice heel-toe is a delight. As with the CGT, a very minimal flywheel, so throttle blips are quick and very natural. But unlike the CGT, you've got to pay attention all the time. And isn't that what modern cars with all their wonders have tended to take away from car enthusiasts? Not just the ability to be involved all the time, but the absolute requirement to do so. Once one gets a taste of that intimacy, it's hard to let go.
Thank you for elaborating now that you've driven both thoroughly whats your take on the noise, whats the best sound track the Carrera GT or is it the F40 ?

In relation to your reply, I always thought the CGT shifter/gearbox position is quiet high, I have never driven one or been inside but I guess I got this assumption from looking at the pictures.

Old 10-03-2008, 10:49 PM
Originally Posted by peloton
Kuzi -

You've got a beauty of an F40 there, for sure. And yes I've been thinking about a Tubi, especially since it is so trivial to install and then remove to get back to stock if so desired. So which Tubi did you get? The ones with the little in-line mufflers or the straight pipes? The weight savings wouldn't hurt either, I agree. Thanks.
Tubi LM Straight Pipes. Three round exhaust pipes.

Attached Images  
Old 10-03-2008, 11:06 PM
Dino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really nice
congrats and beautiful F40!
One of my all time favorite cars!

Old 10-03-2008, 11:14 PM
Originally Posted by Kuzi
Tubi LM Straight Pipes. Three round exhaust pipes.
I had heard, perhaps incorrectly, that going with the LM pipes is great for sound but not for power/driveability. I heard that ECU tweaking and some adjustment of the blow-off valve is in order with the LM pipes due to the loss of back pressure that you get with the muffler. Did you make any other changes when you installed the LM straight-pipes or did you just keep everything else stock?

Old 10-03-2008, 11:30 PM
CarGuy56 will become famous soon enough
congrats on your F40

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just added an F40 to the garage - a few pics