Ferrari Discussion on everything Ferrari related; F40, F50, Enzo, F430, Testarossa, to the Ferrari 599, 458

How reliable is Ferrari?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 02:28 AM
DianjoTT is infamous around these parts
How reliable is Ferrari?

I've been thinking about getting a used Ferrari 360 ('00 - '04) but my buddy is talking me out of one. He drives an '06 Gallardo BTW. It has nothing to do with him owning a Lambo. The former tech who used to work at a Ferrari dealer told him they are unreliable cars. Very expensive to repair and breaks down all the time (parts) mainly the timing belt. Is this true? What do you 360 owners think? What have you experienced? What else breaks on these cars? For the money it cost wouldn't you think that they would be very reliable? Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks!!

Anthony

Old 09-07-2006, 03:59 PM
Bre
Land Rover Guru
Bre is infamous around these parts
do a search in this forum and you'll find plenty of past topics discussing Ferrari durability and service. Every car breaks down, some more then others. It's not like a lambo is cheaper to maintain or anything.

Old 09-07-2006, 06:57 PM
MiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant future
My dads had a few ferraris and well lets just say porsche is the better rout!

Old 09-08-2006, 01:01 AM
Thanks for some advice. Anymore would be great! I don't have much time to do search

Old 09-20-2006, 09:25 PM
vtc4198 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by yogi
well according to my mechanic (who services both) the lambo is cheaper to maintain. both in general maint and unexpected failures.

I know at least 10 people that have a 360. NONE have had a problem with them. They are all routinely maintained and run perfect.
Buy the car from the owner who drove and took care of the car, find a nice clean example and you will be fine.

I have a 348, which is "A Problem Ferrari" to some. I did my research and found the car I was looking for. Granted it took a long time, but it was well worth it. I have not had a problem with my car. I have driven it 4k mile in one year and LOVE IT!

Go find a nice example of a 360 and you will be smilin from ear to ear!

Old 09-20-2006, 11:03 PM
tdf360 is infamous around these parts
360 and newer are Porsche quality. I've owned a number of Porsches and a 360 and 430. I know of exactly one 360 that broke a timing belt, and he ignored the maintenance schedule. Modern Ferraris are very reliable cars.

Gary

Old 09-21-2006, 02:37 AM
Thanks! I feel much relief now about getting a 360. The search is on!

Old 09-21-2006, 09:48 AM
tomf-1 is infamous around these parts
i am on my second 360 w/ 13k on the odometer. they both have been bullet proof. i have had ABSOLUTELY zero issue with them at all whatsoever.

cost of maintenance and repair is higher than your average sportcar, as expected. the keys are to maintain well and keep up with regular maintenance.

in addition as a rule of thumb, buy the newest model you can afford which has all the updates.....

Old 09-21-2006, 10:07 AM
vtc4198 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by tomf-1
i am on my second 360 w/ 13k on the odometer. they both have been bullet proof. i have had ABSOLUTELY zero issue with them at all whatsoever.

cost of maintenance and repair is higher than your average sportcar, as expected. the keys are to maintain well and keep up with regular maintenance.

in addition as a rule of thumb, buy the newest model you can afford which has all the updates.....
Love the Anziano Tom.
good luck with the sale, shouldn't take too long

Old 09-21-2006, 11:47 AM
ttgangsta has a spectacular aura aboutttgangsta has a spectacular aura aboutttgangsta has a spectacular aura about
360s are pretty reliable, the belt issue does suck to some extent though which is why the new cars use chains. If you do the scheduled maintenance though I think you are fine.

Old 09-22-2006, 05:49 PM
tomf-1 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by vtc4198
Love the Anziano Tom.
good luck with the sale, shouldn't take too long
thank you again for your well-wishes and accolades. take care.

Old 09-23-2006, 09:37 AM
tdf360 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ttgangsta
360s are pretty reliable, the belt issue does suck to some extent though which is why the new cars use chains.
In this price range, I don't see the belts being a deal breaker. Unlike the 355 and earlier, the 360 belt change can be done without engine removal, and it runs $1500 - 1700 at a dealer.

Gary

Old 09-23-2006, 12:26 PM
LIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant future
The 360 on + (more like any of the ferraris designed after 99 is the new Era of Ferraris. They are more reliable than the ones in the past. as for breaking down, that is a wrong word choice. They are just more maintenance than a bmw or mb. Keep in mind these are race cars hence require more tuning and are less forgiving. A good well kept maintained car is ur key.

coming from bmw to porsche is a different league altogether. Now a 300$ oil change is acceptable but when i had a civic no way i would pay even 60$ for an oil change. Prespective changes and it's just getting used to it.

What the thing to conisider is opportunity cost. What is it worth it to u to drive that car. :-)

Old 09-23-2006, 08:15 PM
Banned
FERRAR1 is infamous around these parts
the 430 is an amazing car. Would highly recommend it. Its a combination of everything you could possibly want in a car.

Old 09-25-2006, 10:32 PM
Originally Posted by FERRAR1
the 430 is an amazing car. Would highly recommend it. Its a combination of everything you could possibly want in a car.
The 430 is out of my range price wise.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How reliable is Ferrari?