Ferrari Discussion on everything Ferrari related; F40, F50, Enzo, F430, Testarossa, to the Ferrari 599, 458

Opinions please!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 03:11 PM
daytrader is on a distinguished road
Opinions please!!!

I am currently looking at 348 & 355. I like both styles but don't know much about these cars. I heard someone posted a thread not too long ago about 95 & earlier 355 had mechanical problem. Is it true? I am always a P-car owner so this purchase will the 1st for me with F-car. Before I jump in the water I like to know what are lirking under... Thanks!!

Old 12-22-2006, 05:13 PM
simon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to behold
Wow, two in one week.

I'm a P-car driver than just today picked up a 92 348 TS, my first Ferrari.
Still have the 911 though too.

:-)

I hear the earlier 348's had electrical problems, although I'm not sure what.
Mine has some small issues that I need to work out, nothing major just annoyances more than anything, but hey, it's a 14 year old car.

I couldn't possibly choose for you between the two.
No matter which you choose, it'll be very very different from the 911.

I just drove it back from Benicia to San Jose and it certainly does get a lot of attention, lots more than I'm used to in the Porsche.

Coming straight out of a supercharged 911 I found the Ferrari to be heavy on the steering and "twitchy". The gears take some getting used to as well, don't launch off the lights in what you "think" is first only to find out it's reverse. I've not done this, but I imagine many have.

But, once I got off the freeway and drove through downtown san Jose I could hear the V8, and apparently so could everyone else.

:-)

Old 12-22-2006, 05:31 PM
Congrat. to you!! I'll bet you love the attention. I do know that Italian cars are not reliable in many ways. But now that I do have the Mula and the used ones are in my price range. I want to collect a F-car for sometime now. I love my P-car and will keep it. The F-car more like weekend joy ride for me and my wife.

Wishing you have many wonderful miles on the open road with your lady.

Old 12-22-2006, 06:24 PM
riverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by daytrader
I am currently looking at 348 & 355. I like both styles but don't know much about these cars. I heard someone posted a thread not too long ago about 95 & earlier 355 had mechanical problem. Is it true? I am always a P-car owner so this purchase will the 1st for me with F-car. Before I jump in the water I like to know what are lirking under... Thanks!!
95 was the first year of the 355, at least in the U.S.
It is lighter and has a bit more hp than later years and is obdI unlike later years. In my mind, the best year to get. Valve guides and exhaust manifolds both had issues in the early cars. Most will have had everything addressed by now, but do be sure and check for records of the work. Some of the early cars simply did not have issues with either and if they have 20k or them, most likely will not.
Best advice I can offer on the older cars is avoid garage queens. They look good but will bury you in bills. Find a well driven car with complete or at least very good service records. The modern Ferraris(360's on up) are quite reliable and well built and mine have been equal to modern pcars in that respect.
Neither the 348 or the 355 will be as fast as most modern Pcars but the 355 is respectable in straight line and certainly in the twisties. One thing for sure, the 355 is one of the best sounding cars ever made!

Old 12-22-2006, 07:40 PM
Thanks riverflyer!!

Greatly appreciated. I'm leaning toward 355. I saw some videos on YouTube on 355 with Tubi & Capristo exhausts, they are amazing. My Fabspeed on my P-car and quad exhaust on my V8 Bimmer can't even come close.

Will apply your advise when I am going for the Gold.

Old 12-23-2006, 03:38 PM
bayareaferrari is an unknown quantity at this point
My 95 Spider is for sale if you are interested. I do agree with everything Riverflyer stated...PM if you are interested..It is Red/Tan with 17K miles on it..Solid car with all records and books--CA car.

Old 12-23-2006, 08:57 PM
Simba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud of
Depends what you want to do with it. Both are arguably as "reliable" as the other, with the 348 having a somewhat less robust electrical system. If you buy a car that's been driven and hence avoid a lot of maintenance headaches, as was suggested, you should be fine with either car.

If you want something for weekend cruises and car shows, I'd say there's probably fewer nice 348 examples rolling around, and hence it would make a slightly more unique car, especially in a rare color.

If you want to track the car at some point, or flog it on the streets, you'd probably have more fun with the 355.

Old 01-04-2007, 12:04 PM
luckyluke will become famous soon enoughluckyluke will become famous soon enough
I went from P car to 355 Fiorano. I would go with 355. You are used to a certain fit and finish from P car that may make 348 disapointing. 355 is made better in my opionion and will have a better resale.

Originally Posted by daytrader

Old 01-04-2007, 12:08 PM
Former Vendor
Wheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond repute
I looked into jumping into the F-crowd two year back as I had an sweet deal on a nice one.... Unfortunately after speaking to several nice guys on F-chat I found the cost to maint. it wouldn't be worth it... Hence I decided to just mod out the Pcar and drive it....

Good Luck to you man,

-Eli