GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Easy cup splitter mod

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 12:10 AM
mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !
Thumbs up Easy Cup splitter mod

I wanted more down force in the front of my RS to help match the extra rear wing tilt for track use. The simplest solution was a direct replacement with a GT3 Cup car front splitter. I contacted Porsche motorsport and it turns out that the cup car front splitter was the best selling parts for the company (guess why lol). Large volume sale = low price!

I Picked up two of them since it was dirt cheap and they can be folded and ship in a relatively small box.

The cup splitter is much taller compare with OEM with functional air scoop on each end

Another view of OEM vs Cup splitter side by side installed on the car

The install is a simple snap on except the ends of the splitter need to be anchored by drilling new holes. The pre-drilled hole does not work on my RS. It is too low and far away from the plastic wheel well cover.

I use a 15/64" drill bit and carefully drilled a hole through the splitter and the plastic wheel well cover in such a way that it does not pull the splitter toward the body of the car and still give enough room to anchor the splitter

Got some plastic rivet from Kragen auto and I used the longer one shown in the photo below. I had to push on the plastic screw pretty hard to snap it in. It's pretty secure once it's all done

I highly recommend door edge molding to protect the bottom of the splitter. These splitter sit a good inch lower than OEM and it's scrap city going up and down the driveway. I scrap the bottom of these splitter on the track when I ride up on a bump at the apex of turn 9 at Thunderhill. Good thing I got these molding one - no damage to the splitter at all. I use the one shown below from Pepboys. I like them because they snap in tightly and does not require glue to secure

The Cup splitter is both functional and aesthetically pleasing. It look much more aggressive than OEM and the best part of it is that it does what it suppose to do inexpensively which is very hard to come by in the Porsche world. Two thumbs up for this simple mod!

Here is the Cup splitter with brake cooling duct openings. Worked well on the track - kept the brakes nice and cool

Here are couple pictures for comparison

Delivered in a neat little package as always

Front bumper without the denture

Looks pretty cool

Last edited by mikymu; 02-06-2010 at 10:24 PM.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:20 AM
jimxyz is on a distinguished road
Looks great - my driveway is murder on mine - I should probably stock up while they are cheap. Simple snap off and snap on install? Thanks

Old 11-08-2009, 12:40 AM
mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jimxyz
Looks great - my driveway is murder on mine - I should probably stock up while they are cheap. Simple snap off and snap on install? Thanks
My driveway eats my splitter for snack too and I have to back out my RS every time to avoid sanding the splitter. Yes, it's as easy as snap off and on. The OEM splitter has a small retaining clips at each end. Just push the center tap in to remove it then carefully pull the splitter off.

I think the cup splitter should remain cheap as long as they keep the cup car low to ensure plenty of orders in the years to come

Old 11-08-2009, 06:01 AM
WildBill is on a distinguished road
Nice write up. This is my next project.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:31 AM
Originally Posted by WildBill
Nice write up. This is my next project.
It is super easy and quick

Old 11-08-2009, 11:58 AM
Md11skipper is just really niceMd11skipper is just really niceMd11skipper is just really niceMd11skipper is just really nice
Nice info, thank you! Did you order these Cup splitters out of state and how long did it take to get them? Any driving impressions, did you feel the difference?

Old 11-08-2009, 12:31 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Wow. Nice mod. Wish they had something similar for widebody 997's. Love the door molding strip trick. I'll def do that with my next front lip.

Old 11-08-2009, 12:53 PM
RaphaelP has much to be proud ofRaphaelP has much to be proud ofRaphaelP has much to be proud ofRaphaelP has much to be proud ofRaphaelP has much to be proud ofRaphaelP has much to be proud ofRaphaelP has much to be proud ofRaphaelP has much to be proud ofRaphaelP has much to be proud of
The door edge molding trick is genius!

+Rep points!

Old 11-08-2009, 01:00 PM
mobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud of
mik

no one has better posts and write ups than you.

I LOVE YOUR CAR!!!!

Great job, I have this on my car and it scrapes everywhere....i just let its scrape... since i can just buy another for cheap.

Old 11-08-2009, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by Md11skipper
Nice info, thank you! Did you order these Cup splitters out of state and how long did it take to get them? Any driving impressions, did you feel the difference?
You are welcome. It's a functional simple mod and should take you no longer than 2 hours to get everything done. I got these Cup splitter directly from Porsche motorsport and they are in the states. I got them in 2-3 days after they receive my payment. Super prompt. I will PM you the contact info. They are half the price of OEM front splitter - now that is FTW!

I use the Cup slitter for the first time on the track at Thunderhill two days ago and they felt great! The front is felt more planted and a bit less understeer. It drive well on the street but I don't think you will feel the difference with street speed. Most importantly now it match the extra down force in the back when I tilt the wing up

Originally Posted by bonehead
Wow. Nice mod. Wish they had something similar for widebody 997's. Love the door molding strip trick. I'll def do that with my next front lip.
They should fit any GT3 like front bumper - either narrow or wide body

Originally Posted by RaphaelP
The door edge molding trick is genius!

+Rep points!
Thanks! These door edge molding already save my Cup splitter 5 times in the past 3 days lol

Old 11-08-2009, 01:11 PM
Former Vendor
StuartsPNB is a splendid one to beholdStuartsPNB is a splendid one to beholdStuartsPNB is a splendid one to beholdStuartsPNB is a splendid one to beholdStuartsPNB is a splendid one to beholdStuartsPNB is a splendid one to beholdStuartsPNB is a splendid one to behold
OMG...Looks sick!

-Nathan

Old 11-08-2009, 01:21 PM
Originally Posted by mobonic
mik

no one has better posts and write ups than you.

I LOVE YOUR CAR!!!!

Great job, I have this on my car and it scrapes everywhere....i just let its scrape... since i can just buy another for cheap.
Thanks Shane

Appreciate you pointing me in the right direction when I first look into the Cup splitter mod. You should use the door molding next time when you replace the Cup splitter

Originally Posted by StuartsPNB
OMG...Looks sick!

-Nathan
Thanks, the Cup splitter really add to the the look of the GT3/RS

Old 11-08-2009, 03:12 PM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
Yep I put one on my Aero 997S

Pics- https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...tes-track.html

I did not anchor the splitter nor do I feel that it is a requirement

As for scraping. I have found that Magic Black/Forever Black tire shine when applied to the scrape markes will dry the same color as the rest of the splitter and look almost new again. Of course actual knicks and gouges in the splitter are a lost cause.

Jason

Old 11-08-2009, 04:08 PM
rdshark is on a distinguished road
very nice upgrade. just got mine and am heading to the autostore for the molding. thanks for the great tip.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:08 PM
Originally Posted by JEllis
Yep I put one on my Aero 997S

Pics- https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...tes-track.html

I did not anchor the splitter nor do I feel that it is a requirement

As for scraping. I have found that Magic Black/Forever Black tire shine when applied to the scrape markes will dry the same color as the rest of the splitter and look almost new again. Of course actual knicks and gouges in the splitter are a lost cause.

Jason
Looks great on your 997S aero. I have not used tire shine but I find door molding to be effective to ward off most scrapes. I thought about not anchoring the ends of the Cup splitter but decide to do it because I did not like the thought of it flapping around under high speed ... or worst yet during a spin in the dirt lol

Originally Posted by rdshark
very nice upgrade. just got mine and am heading to the autostore for the molding. thanks for the great tip.
Cool, they are very easy to put on and works well

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Easy cup splitter mod