GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Cat. Pidgeon.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 05:37 AM
Grand Pumba
Mr. RS is on a distinguished road
Cat. Pidgeon.

I have been thinking about this one for a while now. Not too deeply, but just in the back of my mind for the past few months.

The question is this, heaven knows what the answer is!

Should Porsche sell out to a bigger fish and if so who?

Let me set the scene as to why I ask this question.

I have been involved with Porsche now for 22 years and during that time they have gone from a niche to a global player with a product line that is continuing to diversify.

Yes I will admit that during my time with them there have been as many as four models to choose from but never has it been as diverse as it is now or it would seem to be in the not too distant future.

The thing is, progress is good (ask the Dinosaur’s) but I cant help but think that Porsche is beginning to loose that special little thing that made me want to be a part of it.

What is driving this change? Seems to me to be the desire to stay independent. But this drive to retain this independence could be the thing that ends up sinking rather than saving, or securing, the growth and economic feasibility of Porsche as a whole.

Would it not be better to seek the financial umbrella of a larger organisation so that they can concentrate on retaining that unique Porscheness?

I suppose this has come out by my recent association with the Dark Side.

Ferrari have the support of FIAT and the Italian government which allows them to concentrate on doing what they do best. Building cars with soul.

Porsche also has a soul, of a slightly different kind I will be the first to admit, I just can't help wondering what cars they would produce if they could concentrate on the core business.

I have seen it time and time again, as I would imagine we all have, when a company is very successful in a particular field but then decides it needs market share in another area. 9 times out of 10 all that happens is they fail in the new field and in their own back garden!

So. Lets just say that Porsche did sell to enable them to concentrate on the core, and get back to racing!, who could be a partner?

VW? No already got more than enough sports cars under the roof thanks very much.

GM? Maybe, but we could end up with badge engineered Daiwoo...

Ford? No, or maybe if they can get the PAG group sorted out.

Daimler Chrysler.... Mmm now that could work. It would allow MB to concentrate on building Hot rods and give them a true sports car. Could even fit in quite well with the racing side of things.

Haven’t even started to look East yet!

Interested in others comments and views.

P.

Last edited by Mr. RS; 10-26-2004 at 05:40 AM.
Old 10-27-2004, 02:58 AM
Alon is on a distinguished road
GM? Are you out of your F%&king mind?

Old 10-27-2004, 03:26 AM
Grand Pumba
Originally posted by Alon
GM? Are you out of your F%&king mind?
Who ever would have thought that Chrysler would buy Mercedes Benz......

Old 10-27-2004, 03:52 AM
ebaker is on a distinguished road
Mercedes bought Chrysler.

Old 10-27-2004, 07:41 PM
Grand Pumba
I know but have you seen the build quality of a Merc lately....

I think my view is closer to the truth!!

Old 10-28-2004, 10:33 AM
This whole idea of Porsche selling out brings tears to my eyes. I just learned today that Porsche will be purchasing Hybrid drivetrains from Toyota to power the Cayenne instead of resorting to Diesel. These are scary times indeed.

Old 10-28-2004, 09:41 PM
Grand Pumba
There are some that will say that Porsche sold out when they brought out the Cayenne...

Old 10-28-2004, 09:59 PM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by Mr. RS
There are some that will say that Porsche sold out when they brought out the Cayenne...
The Cayenne Turbo Rox!!! If I could only have one vehicle to meet all my needs of sport/utility/practicality, there is no substitute!!!

Besides, the Cayenne brought badly needed revenue back to Porsche. This ultimately helps them to continue to make sports cars without having to insanely raise prices or seek another company to buy them out...

Old 10-29-2004, 04:58 AM
I will refrain from commenting on Porsche selling out with the Cayenne simply because I'd end up offending too many people. Yes, Porsche claims that it helps them create the profit needed to continue the development of their sports cars but how do the Cayenne owners feel about statements like that knowing that their hard-earned money go towards the subsidization of other products? Perhaps some feel that they are paying too much for their precious Cayennes. I doubt highly that many would admit it...

Old 10-29-2004, 11:28 PM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Perhaps some feel that they are paying too much for their precious Cayennes. I doubt highly that many would admit it...
Considering a TT Cayenne is around 90K and a 996TT 125K+....seems to me the CTT is the bargain of the century. Based on raw material costs/engineering, I would bet it is far more expensive to produce a CayenneTT than a 996TT. Clearly the profit margin is much higher on the 996TT...

Obviously the vehicles are completely different and serve very different purposes...just my thoughts...

Old 10-29-2004, 11:34 PM
According to Porsche, the profits on a CTT are higher than any other vehicle. I would imagine that it is based on the principle of platform sharing. What can I say? I'm not knocking the CTT but rather crying at the thought of Porsche merging with a company such as GM.

Old 10-30-2004, 12:24 AM
According to Porsche, the profits on a CTT are higher than any other vehicle. I would imagine that it is based on the principle of platform sharing. What can I say? I'm not knocking the CTT but rather crying at the thought of Porsche merging with a company such as GM.
I don't want a merge either and if the Cayenne helps to prevent that, great...If the CTT is more profitable than the 996TT on a per unit basis, it must be due to economies of scale in production. I just cannot see how the initial parts cost of a CTT would be cheaper than the 996TT's.

Old 10-30-2004, 12:29 AM
Yes, the economies of scale based on the production of the CTT and all Touaregs (spelling?). Anyhow, I wonder if the Porsche four door sedan (or as Mercedes likes to call their next sedan, the four door coupe, the CLS) is next. I hope that Porsche is financially strong enough to endure and stay independant.

Old 10-30-2004, 12:50 AM
I hope that Porsche is financially strong enough to endure and stay independant.
Me too.