GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

996 GT3 coolant overflow issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 02:37 PM
Wayne K is on a distinguished road
996 GT3 coolant overflow issue

I've never had the coolant overflow before but I was driving around for ten minutes looking for parking spot with the A/C on. The last time I looked at the temp gauge it was normal. I parked the car and turned it off. I get out and gathered some things from behind the seat and as I'm walking away about 12oz of coolant goes to the ground via overflow hose. I look at the reservoir and there is some on the top of it but I don't know if it came out the cap or passed via pop up valve hose. Level has always been between min & max marks. Coolant not changed recently or needing adding. I drove the car home later that day with no issues. I parked it in my driving and let in run at 2000 rpms until the needle moved up and got out and could hear a low speed fan running which sounded like it was near the oil cooler opening. I then turned on the A/C and I could hear a high speed fan running by the passenger side radiator. Some questions.

1) How many front fans does a 996 GT3 have and where are they located?
2) How does one test the fan operation?
3) Is it likely the radiator cap is bad?

Old 09-17-2012, 04:17 PM
TRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of light
Mine did that with bad radiator cap and they go bad quite often..

Old 09-18-2012, 07:21 AM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
I have a 2001 6tt an had to get the coolant expansion tank replaced last year. Had a very small crack at the bottom and was told its pretty common in these. Probably unrelated but worth a look.

Old 09-18-2012, 01:30 PM
I will try and find a place that can check the cap out first to see if it is bad. I don't see any signs of the tank leaking so will rule that out for now. Can anyone answer my first two questions?

Old 09-19-2012, 09:08 AM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
It sounds like the radiator cap, they do go bad quite often so I would get two next time you purchase.

1.) There are two fans. One behind each of the side radiators.

2.) You can turn the fans on using a scan tool to test them.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by ECS Tuning - Porsche
It sounds like the radiator cap, they do go bad quite often so I would get two next time you purchase.

1.) There are two fans. One behind each of the side radiators.

2.) You can turn the fans on using a scan tool to test them.

I had the cap tested and he pumped the pressure up 18lbs. It slowly went down to 7lbs and stabilized. I don't know what the system pressure is and it isn't indicated on the cap. Does this sound like the cap is OK and I should be looking at the purge valve?

I could only hear what sounded like one fan running and when I turned the A/C on I only heard a high speed fan from the passenger side.

Old 09-19-2012, 03:33 PM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
It should be higher then that, it should stabilize around 11-15lbs.

Both fans should work simultaneously. There is an A/C condenser on each side, so both fans should come on high with the A/C.

Old 09-19-2012, 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by ECS Tuning - Porsche
It should be higher then that, it should stabilize around 11-15lbs.

Both fans should work simultaneously. There is an A/C condenser on each side, so both fans should come on high with the A/C.
I only hear a fan on the passenger side. I know there are radiators on both sides but I do remember seeing an xray picture of a 996 GT3 and it only showed a fan on the passenger side however a parts manual suggests there are two fan units. Can anyone verify the number of fan units in the front of the car?

Old 09-20-2012, 09:18 AM
Last post in this thread and also checking with another 996 GT3 owner confirms only one fan passenger side GT3. http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/997-gt2-gt3-forum/693504-997-1-gt3-no-left-radiator-fan.html. I am going to order 2 new caps and hope that solves the problem. Thanks for all your responses.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:33 AM
TRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of light
Get a new cap for $30 bucks..
My cap was bad, but because it screwed around with it too much I cross threaded the reservoir also, so also replaced that. No more problem.